1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountina Bike folks

Discussion in 'General' started by slower than u, Oct 15, 2010.

1. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

So Ive decided to build a 29er single speed - and in getting ready to order parts , Ive found mysef at an inresting spot - What friggin fork should I get ?Yes, it has been suggested that Igot the full ridgid route, but ,I dont think I would like it , as I do not enjoy having my wristis pounded with out mercy . Id like to get a sweet Fox fork, but ,thier cheapest model is almost my whole budget.
    So , I am seeking advice form youse folks that have done similar , what should I get ? Looking to stay around 400 bucks - :beer:

2. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Sorry for the horrible spelling - I cant type for crap ! :up:

3. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Most mountain bike racers sell or upgrade their bikes very year or so. I would check with an area club/shop and buy a top of the line used fork and rebuild it. You should have less into it then a new mediocre fork.

4. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Tough to go wrong with a Rockshox Reba, IMO. I've got one on my Soma Juice and the wife's Surly Karate Monkey, no complaints.

Here you go

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Steerer tube is kinda short or I'd be all over that. The RS Sid forks were the gold standard, sub 4 lbs and very tunable. They are rebuildable so used is not a bad way to go. Most other forks will be 5+ lbs.

6. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

7. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

That's usually the problem with buying used.

There's a topic on the MTBR board in the 29er section about putting RS Pike internals into a Reba to convert it to spring and add the U-Turn adjustable travel feature. I keep thinking about it so I can leave my shock pump at home. I'd gladly trade the extra weight for set-it-and-forget-it of the spring.

8. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

Marzocchi's are the shit

9. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

full rigid is fine if your ride around parks and well maicured places, as soon as you get out into the open, no way jose, my wrists can't take it

what kind fo 29ner do you have?

everyone at my local shop are building up vassagos

10. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I ride my steel fork through rock and root daily. It's not something you just start, there is techique and conditioning to acquire.
    As for squishy, I would go Reba with maxle, I had Reba in it's first variation and it flexes horribly, especially on the brakes. The new maxle version should fix that.

11. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I see the OP is in NC, gonna be Pisgah time. If you're gonna bother with suspension, get the maxle for certain.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yo doggie... there's this company, Rocky Mountain Cyclery. awesome customer service, sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. well recently they've been having a lot of "everything starts at $.99 no reserve, 3-day auctions" with a ton of mountain bike stuff. you could probably pick up a new good level Fox for like half price. i got my road bike wheels from them for half price. check them out.

13. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

I just rode pisgah for 5 days on a full rigid Redline Monocog 29r. Had a blast!:up:

14. invaderzoom

invaderzoom Well-Known Member

I know a couple guys who have had nothing bad to say about the White Bros air forks; especially for the money....ordering one next week.....starting a 29er build myself.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I got a used Tora for my Monocog 29er for under $150. HEAVY, but I really don't notice it riding. Tried a carbon fork first...blingy but still too much for my delicate wrists...

16. Dr.K

Dr.K Well-Known Member

17. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Rigid and single is my preference, but I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea.

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Between me and the wife we have:

On Bonnies Siren 29er a DT Swiss XMC Carbon RTLC 100mm (Super nice, plenty of adjustment but very spendy, however what Bonnie wants.. Bonnie gets)

On my Hei-Hei 29er an OEM Reba SL - Great fork had to rebuild it once in 2 years. Can't complain Not the plushest but its a set it and forget it.

On my Salsa Big Mama - Fox F29with FIT. Good fork but a little spendy if I would have had to pay retail and it seems that the seals are a bit tender. I see a fair share of them leaking on the trails. This Fox product is certainly not as bulletproof as the 26" Float RLC.

I'd say for the money the Reba SL is my fav.

19. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Why do you guys like 29ers?

20. I haven't ran into a 29er rider yet that was able to pull a gap on me on a descent at my local trails. I rode one for a couple minutes at the local shop and it felt like a tank to me. I don't really get it. People love them though.