1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motorcycle industry slow for 2016??

Discussion in 'General' started by odomcaleb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

Yeah i just wasnt sure if it was just dead in our store or what. Sounds like its slow all over GA.

2. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

The motorcycle market is pretty flat or slightly up vs last year. It really depends on what segment your talking about though. July is also a big month for vacations so it can be a little slow. If your sales are off and floor traffic down, look at your advertising/marketing campaign. What are your doing? What did you do last year? I can say that oem incentives are not that great this month so expect a nice rebound in August when they come back and also new 17 models will start shipping bringing in more customers. It's months like this that you have to rely on a strong lead follow up system to drive buyers into the dealership. I could go on and on.

The industry is changing and some dealers are changing with it and some are stuck in the same old rut and getting left behind.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Ts hit the nail on the head. Many shops are just doing business like they always have but the ones that are actually working at driving customers to the store are doing well. Certainly some markets are better than others and July can be a bit of a dip down during the summer from my experience but you should be busy right now.

4. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Absolutely slammed in our service department, currently accepting applications for a full time service tech. Parts is about normal for this time of year (historically) although floor traffic seems a little slow.

Our slow floor traffic times are middle of summer and dead of winter, so this is pretty normal.

5. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

the dealership that im at now has terrible marketing.. we've been in this same location for years and I have ppl come in a say they didn't even know we were here. we don't have a sign up out front and we are right next to I-75 and don't have a sign up next to the freeway.

and when we have events they only advertise it for a week.

6. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

same here our marketing is none, the manager refuse to spend some $ on marketing, I have to do my own sale flyers and post it on the web and all over the store, I have a question for you guys. Do you get a lot of people asking for discount on all the parts and accessories? We have all the parts mark at retail or price match with the online stores and the fuckers still want a discount.

7. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

that's everyone man, they want everything for free. we have ppl complain about price on just about everything. oem parts are the worst. so much mark up in them, ppl just walk off when I tell them the price of some parts.

8. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I was looking for a couple spare dzues d-rings. The parts counter guy said he had some OEM yamaha ones.... for $20 a piece.

And I'm usually aware that things won't ever match online pricing when you're in the store, I'm ok with that. but $20, good lord

I have no problem buying locally for things like a quick quart of oil, this or that tool, an occasional apparel item.

72westie likes this.
  9. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

yeah they are expensive but he could work with you on price. I usually try to help ppl out on oem parts bc they are so expesive.

we online match if we can but if its below our cost we cant.

tecknojoe likes this.
  10. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

same here! we do as much as we can as long is not below our cost.

11. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

it just sucks bc im straight commission. if I discount then I don't make money.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm parts and service only now, since 2009. This area's poor and not much new stuff is selling. Last nite on craigslist I saw every dealer within a 100 miles of me had 2015 stuff listed. My shop work has been pretty steady, can't complain so far this year.

13. slimjim00

Say WHAT? Damn Caleb, that's rough!

14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Knoxville is not dead. They are selling record number of bikes here.

15. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

yeah brotha it sucks. its stressful.

16. slimjim00

As a racer and a shop manager, historically that's a pretty poor ROI for the shop. Shop's sponsor riders because they want to support what they're doing these days, not because they are hoping to see a major return on the investment.

In my humble opinion of course

daveknievel likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

may be time to look for new work. If you're commission based and the dealership is not helping you/not marketing, then it's in your best interest to do something else.

stk0308, slimjim00 and odomcaleb like this.
  18. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

My guys are hr plus commission so its not that bad for then plus they have small shops in town that they buy from us all the time.

odomcaleb likes this.
  19. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The north country area is like a tundra. I drove up to Potsdam not too long ago and at one point stopped to get gas . The station had horse hitching posts for the local Amish.

20. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

yeah I think im going to soon. I cant handle the stress of not making money.
    we were hr + commission but that changed.