1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motorcycle hitch carriers

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Cool, still have it

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

if you do any South East rounds, that would work.
    but hoping to have it to take to Daytona for the 200. i'll be crew for a friend and want to take my pitbike.

3. Tristan

On my way to barber now....if you had let me know yesterday...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Tristan

Only do wera endurance

Once a Wanker.. and DBConz like this.
  5. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

I am currently using a black widow aluminum carrier. What are you guys using for a anti rattle/sway piece? I have the one that comes with the black widow. No matter how I mount it or tighten down the damn thing moves quite a bit

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I didn't have the best experience with mototote. I wanted the best and paid the money. Not sure if I did anything wrong but it seemed weak and wobbles. The arm isn't strong. Had my Triumph 675 on the back of my dodge ram, the triumph sticker was above my tailgate when I started driving the 7 h hours to jennings, I slowly watched it sink down as I drove. Did 3 weekends with it. By the end I was using tie down straps to keep the bike up and an extra one because I was worried about the thing snapping and wrecking a car behind me. I have it in storage now in Boca Raton Florida, if anyone wants it I'll give it away. I'll buy a new different brand when I get another bike. I also tried to contact the company many times with no answer, granted it was covid times, but never got any call or email back.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thats a bummer, what was bending or breaking? I have the 2 bike versahauler. https://www.amazon.com/Versa-VH-55DMRO-Double-Motorcycle-Carrier/dp/B001EP0HAS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=52818245701&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Lbd7fjz-gIVAwV9Ch2UrAfdEAAYASAAEgKjPvD_BwE&hvadid=583873478585&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9031564&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18219018935670316476&hvtargid=kwd-309462657732&hydadcr=27774_14524960&keywords=versahaul&qid=1666445398&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjY3IiwicXNhIjoiMy4yNyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMDAifQ==&sr=8-3

It is heavy duty and hasn’t broken. There is an anti sway piece you tighten 3 bolts onto the receiver, and it works, very solid. https://www.amazon.com/Versahaul-Anti-Tilt-Bracket-Heavy-VH-070/dp/B001GIG03G/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?adgrpid=52818245701&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Lbd7fjz-gIVAwV9Ch2UrAfdEAAYASAAEgKjPvD_BwE&hvadid=583873478585&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9031564&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18219018935670316476&hvtargid=kwd-309462657732&hydadcr=27774_14524960&keywords=versahaul&qid=1666445398&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjY3IiwicXNhIjoiMy4yNyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMDAifQ==&sr=8-10

I’ve had two RS125s on it. I’ve had a R6 or a zx11 on it. I’ve had a 250 and 450 dirt bike on it at the same time.

It’s not perfect but works well. I did put a hitch lifter thing on it to lift it higher on a minivan that sagged out the suspension to the bump stops.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have a 500lb one from Black Widow that I like, it has performed great. I use it when I want to make a trip without wasting gas by dragging my enclosed trailer. I've used it when I bought my wife's Ninja 400 from a few hours away, taking my track bike (GSXR 600) to a suspension shop that was a few hours away, picking up my street bike (GSXR 1000) and transporting it from Texas to Wisconsin. I have zero desire to put bikes up into the bed of my truck anymore, and if I'm not going to be using my enclosed trailer I don't like wasting the gas to tow it. Goes from 9-11 mpg with trailer, to 20-21 mpg with the hitch carrier.

Pro tip, air bags, or the "inside the coil" air bag helper (what I have) are a good purchase when using the hitch carriers to get the rear of the truck up to stock ride hide and prevent bouncing of the rear of the truck. It worked fine without it, but my ride was noticeably better with it.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

On another note, before you give it away, if nothing did bend or break, buy the versahuler piece and try it, here is a different link for it with better pictures. I bet it fixes the problem
    https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Versahaul-Heavy-Duty-Anti-Tilt-Lock-Lock-Bracket-p/vh-070-hd.htm

10. lopitt85

Check to see if Firestone has the Coil-rite airbag helpers for your vehicle. I have them on my Ram 1500 and they were a great improvement, inexpensive, and just plain work well.

11. lopitt85

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My strong suspicion is you were using it incorrectly (like the gentleman I bought mine from). There's an anti sway bolt that is supposed to pass THROUGH a hole in the hitch carrier, but the guy I bought it from thought it was missing a washer to keep it out. If used correctly, the thing doesn't move a cunt hair.

That being said, I haven't used mine in a few years (since I bought a truck) if anyone near Philly is interested in one.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Captain Morgan

14. Captain Morgan

I guess I could have messed it up but its not rocket surgery, pretty sure I did it right. Maybe did it wrong because the thing moved like nobody's business and never trusted it. I used the anti sway bolt

15. lopitt85

The one that came on mine (black widow) looks like this. Keeps everything nice and solid.

Screenshot_20221022-105634_Chrome.jpg

16. Boman Forklift

That looks very similar to the one with the Versahauler

17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

18. lopitt85

DBConz likes this.
  19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

a friend of mine has used the cheaper model a few times but said he had to brace it to lessen movement. this model looks better for that as well.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bought a JoeHauler Deluxe Cam-Loc HD back when they first started...$300. You might not want to buy that model today...$1500.
    Look at how the Cam-Loc operates. That thing is rock solid in the hitch receiver.
    http://www.joehauler.com/index.shtml

Aluminum for the main strut supporting all the weight of the carrier AND a bike? No thank you. Someday, that's gonna snap right the fuck off. Metal fatigue...aluminum no likey.

PSA:
    With all due concern for your safety, be extra careful if maxing out any of the various sizes of these carriers on vehicles with lower hitch ratings. It's not about whether the hitch can handle it, it's about whether the vehicle can handle it when you go into a turn and roll off the gas. That extra weight, leveraged out beyond the rear axle another ~2', can give your vehicle some serious oversteer.
    On a mid-size SUV, that weight manifests itself in terms of extreme body roll, particularly in downhill turns at highway speeds. You'll think you're on a boat.
    On something smaller, like a Wrangler or other small SUV, you're gonna risk losing it completely in less than ideal traction situations.
    Just cuz your vehicle's tow rating supports the weight doesn't mean they intend for you to carry that weight above the hitch height nor unrestrained by the weight of a tow which, dynamically, loads the hitch below it's center. It's a helluva lever when you throw a couple hundred pounds above and behind the vehicle's CG.