MotoGP | 2019 | Round 2 | Argentina | Mar 29 - 31

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 25, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And mock Iannone, too?

spcassell and masshole like this.
  2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I don't see them changing anything either. It leaves no gray area so just simply accept that you broke the rule. It is the way it is so that there's nothing to argue over. Well...lol....unless it happens to you.

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I must admit that I'm not particularly a Crutchlow fan because it gets tiresome listening to the British commentators constantly fawning over him. I do wonder how much I'd be tempted to rationalize if it had been Rossi penalized in the same way.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

you'll never know, because well he didn't jump the start :)

Phl218 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

At least they aren’t looking for pixel movement.

6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I like Crutchlow. Dude has a ton of talent and on the right day, on the right track, with the right setup, he can take down the aliens and win a race. He's not Joker level talent, but he's a podium threat if he keeps it upright until the checkers.
    My comment wasn't a knock on him as much as pointing out the obvious. Marc won by 10 seconds after maintaining a lead of 12ish for most of the race. From the time the lights went out, he was gone. He wasn't even able to be put in the same frame as the battle for the rest of the podium.
    The rules state your bike must be stationary when the lights go out.
    Cal jumped clear as day. Even though slight.
    Cal was never going to win this race.
    Cal is also not going to win the title.
    Cal is Cal and I find him entertaining, but not able to take down Marquez.
    That's all.
    Now...:dead:
    :crackup:

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Cal was one of four race winners last year. While I'd put his odds at winning the championship somewhere south of 1%, the liklihood of him impacting the championship is far higher.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

As bowling ball or gravel distributor on track?

BigBird likes this.
  9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Manifold ways...:D

gixxernaut and Phl218 like this.
  10. gixxernaut

The Argentine race win from last year has nothing to do with the fact that Crutchlow is a rider who can significantly impact the championship. Yes, winning any race at that level, even once in your lifetime, is a major accomplishment. But winning in the rain / mixed conditions primarily because Marquez' bike stalled momentarily after the warmup lap is nowhere nearly as impressive as it might otherwise be. Without that stall Marc would have been on the plane back to Catalonia before Cal or anyone else crossed the finish line. After lapping the entire field.

Lorenzo is the dark horse. Nobody seems to remember how he languished on the Duc before delivering 4 solid wins and becoming a real race threat last year. It would be unwise to underestimate what can happen when he finds the right settings on the Honda.

BigBird likes this.
  11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

... and if he doesnt hit the pit lane limiter on the start, or have his left grip come off the clip-on, or or or lol... dude has crazy luck. Not quite Spies luck, but its getting there.

gixxernaut likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why are some of you guys acting like Crutchlow would have needed to hang on to Marquez for the race to be better? He would have made it better just by battling with Rossi and Dovizioso on the last lap, which is certainly within his abilities.

turbulence and The Great One like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but within a certain general amount of time. I can't see them being able to make it 100% the same at all tracks but if it's within say 5 seconds difference between the slowest and fastest at all of them then it works for me.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep and yep and no clue on Freddies qualifications for the position. Seemed odd when they announced it but then again I see racers getting lots of jobs I wonder about just because they were famous racers. Some can pull it off but most have no clue on running events or rules enforcement. I just watch and hope they all learn as they go.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

The GOAT showed GOAT 2.0 how to get pass Dovi on the last lap

BHP41, TX Joose, turbulence and 2 others like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed and I give our riders more leeway on the jump then stop based on how they then get off the line. I don't want to over penalize but the rules do need to be enforced if an advantage is gained. At their level there should be little to no leeway like that though, they're professionals and should be treated as such.

17. gixxernaut

"Better" is as better does. Having 10 riders duking it out in a crazy passing frenzy for 6th place makes the race a little better, but two riders duking it out for the win on the final lap makes it many orders of magnitude better. Everyone remembers Rossi / Gibernau at Jerez in 2004, or Rossi / Lorenzo at Catalyuna in 2009. Nobody is going to remember Rossi's pass for 2nd at Argentina in 2019 after a few weeks.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any advantage is important at their level. Especially if it gets you to T1 ahead of someone you wouldn't have been otherwise.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or he'd have fallen trying to chase MM, or he wouldn't have ridden as hard because he wouldn't be as pissed off, or or or or...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like the only exciting thing that happened in the race, may as well discuss it :D

track wagon and Spang308 like this.