1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Twins at VIR

Discussion in 'General' started by Russell Masecar, Apr 16, 2018.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not sure what hp his bikes made. Mine was ported with a minor compression bump,
    oem intake cam swap, stock throttle bodies and a Leo Vince pipe. On MRX01 it made around 80 hp.
    I only had 1 engine failure and that was because the rider was abusing the engine on downshifts.
    Most of the AMA Flat track engines were making around 100 on C12

2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

SV is better!!

NEXT QUESTION PLEASE!!!!

SundaySocial likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know they are slow. I know the MotoST rules were bullshit. I know you keep bragging about your glory days on them but they were still slow :crackup:

We're not talking about the engine alone, we're talking an entire motorcycle. But good try. ;)

You do realize I've been doing this since before I made that first rulebook ad for you right? And I've been doing it since you went to the beach to work on bicycles...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. I wonder if it's just more support for them from Kawasaki over there?

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I think big part was rules at time. Did not favor sv. Nothing wrong with Kawi, it is good bike and can make good power.
    I think biggest problem was it came out 7 years after sv and made less power stock for stock. Sv was and is simply better bike.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense.

7. Nice and tidy.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Correct. The Kawi stock has 62 hp, I believe the SV is around 70.
    I'm still waiting for you to answer my question. Have you talked to a builder or have any experience building one ?

9. Doesn’t the package quite a bit better than the sv motor as well as does a bit better up top when constantly high revving?

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not sure I understand what you typed :) but yes, the Kawi does rev a bit higher.
    But the SV has more bottom end if I remember correctly.

11. TWF2

Sv has more top end, it never drops power like Kawi does after 9k.
    Here is Kawi run, stock green and modified.

Attached Files:

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  12. Sorry meant doesn’t the kawi package a bit better than the sv? From talking with the very few flat track guys I know, one who races one Kawi powered one said he prefers the parallel twin to a v. Says it’s easier to make corrections, etc. He’s damn fast so I’ll take his word for it as I’ve never ridden any flat track like those guys.

13. TWF2

Chassis and engine location/layout is better for flat track than sv.

14. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Unless you have one of the few remaining Arata's like I do for the Kawi [emoji6] The Arata made a big difference and keeps the power up at high revs. Kawi also needs a slipper with too much engine braking on corner entry. Or maybe raise the idle up to an uncomfortable level. I went from a 99 SV with a basic Zoran motor to an 09 Kawi built to the hilt. The Kawi was harder to go fast on. I got within 1 second of my SV times at Willow with a lot of money and hard work. Others on the Kawi also got up there. Doesn't matter, if I was picking a bike for MotoAmerica, the SV will be cheaper to go fast on based on my direct experience. Never ridden an FZ, but I wouldn't mind the extra ~15HP I see on AP's dyno sheets. That could help make up for the parking jobs I do in the corners.... When Kawi paid a lot for club racing podiums, it made sense to hop on one and that's about the sum of it. Now who the hell is racing at VIR? Get that grid filled up!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Boman Forklift and rcarson15 like this.
  15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Here’s my Kawi with Arata, ported everything, throttle bodies you bored for me, and some cams timed for the top end. I will say my bike sucks out of the corners compared to my flat slide SV engine you built me but it screams up top (good for Willow).

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

:stupid:

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Rumor has it you know your way around Willow Springs... !
    We are playing there again in June.

18. TWF2

Now compare that to same power FZ07

Attached Files:

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

smooth as silk....

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I still have a brand new one in the box :) Doubt I'll ever sell it. I never could go fast on the SV. My laps times were close to a second faster once I got on the 650R .Every one of my riders liked it better. Derik Keys was unbelievably fast on it @ the 1st ever race @ Miller. Then again @ the 8 hour Moto ST race @ Daytona.
    Also Arrow made a system for the ER6 Cup. Tried to get Greg to order one for me and they would sell it to him a distributor price. Said if I wanted one I would be better off buying it directly from Arrow. It's said to be better than the Arata.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018