1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Why would they only allow the air cooled 797 Monster not the liquid cooled 821 Monster? All of the other bikes are allowed liquid cooling.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The Homologation says within 8 years. So technically it fits.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Well damn, I missed that line. Still not going to let it in though because potato. Not really in the spirit of the class. Although if it actually took off, give it a year before KTM makes a "RR" version of the 790 that obliterates everything.

rcarson15 likes this.
  4. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Just depends if the fast riders will want to switch over to it. Most of them are hardcore SV riders, so dunno how much obliteration will be going on

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Perhaps I am guilty of living in my own bubble out here on the west coast. But I have never seen an SV newer than a 2012, let alone a 2016 model on the grid. So my totally ignorant assumptions are based upon the fact that the majority of people are going to have to buy a new bike for this. See my resume posted previously in this thread for why I'm right :crackup:

6. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

The potential that motor has in SBK rules is pretty ridiculous.
    For that same reason, I don't think the new KTM 790 should be allowed either.

The air cooled duc 800 can pump out some serious HP, no need to allowed a much faster version of the monster in.

7. You don't reckon?

I've never even sat on one, so I have no idea what they are like.

8. What is the BMW 800 like?

I've never even heard of that bike till this thread. How long has it been around? Anyone race it with WERA? Is it any count?

9. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

If they are going to exclude the 821 Monster, why even make the CC limit up to 850? What other bikes are there between 800-850?

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The way I read that rule is once a bike is homologated, it'll be legal for 8 years, IE you'll get to run your bike for more than a season if you build it. I don't see Ducati requesting a bike that ceased production after 2010 getting homologated though, they want to sell current bikes. Now, the Monster 821, absolutely should be on top of the list for homologation.

11. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

It'd probably be a fine bike for this class (though a bit heavy) - you aren't seeing it at the club level because it doesn't fit most club's rule structure (798cc twin puts it against Middleweight bikes).

Your next problem you'd run into is since no one is racing it - any work you do to race prep it is going to be breaking new ground. What bodywork would you run? It's a naked bike from the factory. Not necessarily a bad thing but there you go.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This sounds like formula extreme for twins. I wasn't involved back then, but I remember them being high dollar bikes.

I guess they need superbike rules to try and get a lot of different manufacturers interested? From what I read online about FZ07's the airbox choked them down to under 70hp in SS form.

Seems like a lower HP limit with dyno checking could have balanced bikes too. I remember some other national series did that before, but I have no idea how well it works?

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not sure what else is between 800 and 850 except the 848 and 821 Ducs.

The other bike missing from the list is the Aprilia Shiver 750, but I doubt anyone will bother running one. Once again, if you want to build it out for racing you are getting to break ground, as folks don't race them now.

On the BMW would we be talking the F800R or F800GT to get started? Not sure it matters as they are both heavy. On the GT you could sell off the stock bodywork to help offset the additional price of the bike.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

If they enforce the minimum weight limits and HP numbers it should keep the racing pretty even as far as machines go.

Kordyte likes this.
  15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

A SS FZ07 with full exhaust and ECU flash is right around 78 hp.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

This seems fun. I need to crunch some numbers and put in a ton of work in the "off" season but I'd like to do a wildcard MA weekend. Originally was going to put together an effort for Pike's Peak next year, but this seems cool too

17. swiest152

For this type of class, it should be SS. ER6, FZ07, SV, and Duc800. Those bikes would all be really even in SS trim. Just don't understand why MA wouldn't go this route.

5axis, Boman Forklift and Kordyte like this.
  18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

So people spend a shit ton of time and money racking their brain in the garage over the winter. Makes for way more cool bikes you have to admit

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Or, keep any bike above 700cc SS trim and below 700cc gets SBK mods. Easy peasy.

20. swiest152

Cooler bikes yes... but better racing, no.