1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moral and Financial dilemma

Discussion in 'General' started by benfer, Feb 4, 2012.

1. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

All knowing Beeb, I lost my father to a brain tumor in 2008. He was remarried and there was a lot of drama with his wife over the estate and who gets what etc. Keep in mind they had only been married 18 months. the first thought of my dads wife was to sue the doctors and hospital for wrongful death. Also relevant to know is my father was a doctor and worked for the hospital that was treating him at the time of his death. Myself and my 2 sisters were extremely opposed to this. Everything seemed to smooth out after the estate and life insurance was settled. that was nearly 2 years and 11 months ago. So fast forward to Monday, I get a text from my older sister asking if it was ok to give my address to Kim, my dads widow. Yeah no problem, Kim had said in the email that it was "a very good thing"

This morning I received certified mail from an attorneys office saying they have settled with the hospital and doctors out of court for 2.9 million. my share being 200k. I am only getting this money because the state of Rhode Island has a law on the books about it. turns out the statute of limitations is 3 years.

Long story short: I could use this money to very well help secure my future, I could buy a house outright and still have change. My thoughts are to take the money and use most of it for the future, and donate a portion to the Hospital in my fathers name. I just don't want to vindicate Kim in any way as she went against our wishes. Furthermore my father being an OB/GYN for 27 years had a pure hatred for malpractice attorneys. To add insult to injury the firm Kim used had even sued my father in the past for malpractice... I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the rant and or disorganized thoughts, I had put all of this in the past and was rudely awakened this morning. :(

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tough call but leaning towards donate it all.

3. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

This is the way the system works. Take the money and use it for good. My brother is a OB/GYN and I think he said he pays $150k per year for Mal-practice insurance in IL. He is also liable for every delivered baby until they are 18. It's sad but donating it or giving it back will not fix anything.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

wrongful death for a brain tumor?

Sorry, not going to get into all that. If you don't take the money, she gets it. Take it.

Buy your house or give it all to charity, doesn't matter.

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Buy the house and donate a %.

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Take the money or she gets it. Cover yourself, consider it money that you would have gotten had he not remarried.

Pay off your house.

That money isn't going back. So it's either take what is being offered, or give it to the widow. He was your father. Take the money.

If you still feel like you need to donate....do that. But cover your family first.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe donate part of it to the hospital in your father's name?

8. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Testify on behalf of the hospital?

It's no ones money if the hospital was in no way at fault.

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

If it were me...

1. Take a portion of the money and put it in a trust for your children and/or grandchildren.

2. Take 15K in cash and keep it in cash.

Take the rest and invest it or let it grow interest. Plain and simple the interest on that money can help you in retirement. When it's time for your to square up with your God/Buddha/Mother Earth, etc.. Make sure your family is set. I think in the end, your father would much rather you get some good out of the cash than just give it away.

10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The only one judging you is yourself. Take the money.

11. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Are you kidding, you may not have asked for it but take it and put it away for retirement.
    That money's is going in someone else's pocket if not yours.

Its a shame insurance works that way. But your not going to change it by not accepting it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

:stupid:

buuuuuuuuut......... if you must donate it, the bank of tuna is now open.

13. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

you guys raise some good points. the hospital has already settled with the lawyers, so I either take the money or she gets it.

14. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Also in favor of donating at least a portion in your Dads name to the hospital.

Belated condolences to you and yours..:(

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

donate it to the drop fund lol

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Want to donate some of the money? Buy yourself and your friends some soft barrier.

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I was comin with airfence. :up:

18. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I don't see much of a moral issue. Take the money and enjoy life.

19. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

So sad about your Dad. Here is what I would do.

$150 for your house.

$25K for the kids trust fund

$20K Hospital donation in your Dad's name

$5K Air Fence Fund in your Dad's name

my .02

20. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

No brainer, take the money.