1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monticello Team Pro-Motion Dates

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by RAL0055, Jul 31, 2009.

1. So what was the intention of your post? People don't normally post saying that they survived a track day.

2. NY1KRR

NY1KRR Noob to the track

The track was just fine and was not very dangerous imo. Yes there were a couple of corners that had some pretty close barriers and a there were a couple of braking bumps but as long as you stayed within your comfort level and didn't ride over your head it was a fun track with some great long sweepers. That being said I only rode on Monday at the south corse, I hear that the north course was a littl ebit higher speed which would not be a good thing at that venue. All in all it was a great day with a good group of people on a nice track at a beautiful facility.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

so how would you feel about the FULL course?

**having only seen a track map and youtube videos, this post implies no opinion, positive or negative, regarding the safety of track. I'm just asking a question of someone who felt the South track was 'safe enough' and was undecided about the safety of the North track, to deduce a relative comparison.**

4. NY1KRR

NY1KRR Noob to the track

I would have to see how they would prepare the Full course. If they put the Air Barriers in the right places and set up no passing zones than I feel like it could work. This track does require a little bit of self control and if applied I feel like it could be fun to run the full corse.

I will def be going back the next time I get a chance.

5. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I had early on and in several places posted that I would NEVER ride at Monticello unless they addressed the "issues" I had heard/seen on video/read about. I changed my mind after a discussion I had at Pocono FUSA. I love the FUSA layout and never even considered the danger/safety of the track. But an in depth conversation made me realize that making a decision on Monticello without seeing or riding it myself was premature.

So I went and rode the South course, couldn't stay for North. This is what I found and what I feel FOR ME, take it as you will.

The track surface is exceptional, smooth and grippy but a bit narrow for my taste.

There is ARMCO which IMHO is too close to the surface in several key areas. TPM put out 8 air barriers throughout the track, I was comfortable with where they were located and felt comfortable riding at 70% -80% of my normal pace, I was not pushing at any time.

I would absolutely ride there again as long as there were air barriers and so long as I was confident that I and everyone else understood that Monticello is a trackday track, there will NEVER be racing at Monticello in it's current form. For that reason there is no reason IMHO to ever run at full pace there. Go, have fun, run a nice pace, but don't hang it out.

That's my .02, everyone needs to asses their own risk tolerence.

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

My only comment regarding riding at a more relaxed pace is there is no guarantee the joker behind you has the same mindset and getting hit by another bike could result in some nasty off track excursions.

7. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Agree and completely understand.

That is why I sayed: so long as I was confident that I and everyone else understood that Monticello is a trackday track

Now of course, even that confidence could still be wrong but I have evaluated my risk tollerance and this is where my head is at.

8. NY1KRR

NY1KRR Noob to the track

This is true, TPM did a great job at not allowing too many bikes on the track at the same time and were being very cautious and spacing bikes out.

I do hear where you are coming from, as this crossed my mind a couple times last week while on the track.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Maybe he was responding in kind to your drama post. Did that ever even cross your mind?

10. I am not sure what you mean by drama post.

11. STT-Rider

No.. of course not.

The guy made a tongue in cheek comment.. you're smart enough to know that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

13. STT-Rider

S'up Lance. Lets do some Q at Bluegrass!!

14. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I'm up for that. Gimme a call & we'll hash out the details. I've got some new recipes that I'd like to share.

15. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Ok so the track is "safe" as long as you obey the no passing signs and don't ride at full pace? This has to be the most retarded logic I've ever seen.

16. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

it makes sense. You just dont get it. What, did you think you go to the racetrack to pass people, and push limits in a safe enviroment? Nope, not anymore, you go there to have fun, ride like your on the street and use cones to judge where you should not be passing.

If I wanted to go out for a ride, I can just go out around my block. I pay to go ride in a safe evniroment. Not to go out and ride around a track that has cones and no passing zones. That kind of defeats the purpose, now doesn't it. :rolleyes:

NY1KRR- Your post summed up why no one on a motrocycle should be riding on that track until the proper safety measures were taken.

17. NY1KRR

NY1KRR Noob to the track

Obviously I didn't come across the way I intended. The fact is that there is only 1 place on the track that they had a no passing zone. Most of the track you could go balls out and be fine but there were 2 corners that you want to show a little caution. It was a great track and there is no reason not to ride it. Unless that is you have no self control or ride above and beyond your limit. Everybody that I talked to after the day was over had said the same thing, "it was much safer here than at some of the motorcycle tracks we run". Until you ride you should not judge it.

18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I judged it after I went up to look at it for safety inspections. I never even unloaded my bike, as I won't turn a wheel there until they actually make changes to make it safe. I don't think cones,a no passing zone, and riding at 70% is really all that safe. What happens when guys start getting comfy and start picking up the pace? I would rather be vocal now,then after someone gets hurt because a few people think cones and no passing areas make it safe.

19. Zakath

Zakath Well-Known Member

+1 I have a street bike that I can ride for free anytime I want. There's even guardrail and "no passing zones" on the street.. hey it's just like Monticello! Open track bitchez!

Paying track fees and fuel etc to haul a track bike to a track where you ride at 70% sounds like the dumbest fucking idea to me. Ever.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  20. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

a-(f**ing)-men Dutch! :clap: