Mid ohio vintage days

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jul 5, 2017.

1. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I just got word that Mike has been released from the hospital and is on his way home at last.

JustaNobody, JBarx, rk97 and 2 others like this.
  2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

You mean this bike laying in the racing line for 3 laps? :D 19983959_1600039430007271_3214627749518590296_o.jpg

3. JJJerry

Awesome. Surgery went ok?

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

OK, I guess. It took three hours on the table to get the bits back in place.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Yes and the bike and rider on the outside too. I did think there was more mud/sod on the outside of that bike though. In the new temporary racing line

They let that shit go green for the entire 2nd half of that race. Shit at least throw it after lap 3 and call the race done early. I mean with the oil patches in race 12 and this, I definitely have plenty of legitimate excuses as to why I went slower Sunday than Saturday. ;)

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

But none that justify going slower than your SV buddies-Gigi

7. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Guys
    Do not blame the AMA for this incident, they don't run the actual races WERA (in this case me) run it for the AMA. If the corner workers thought that they didn't have the authority to throw red, via their control, I am at fault. After the incident earlier in the day I thought I made that very clear. Apparently not clear enough. Again...my fault! Those corner workers try very hard to keep all you guys safe and are excellent people, all of them. Someone asked if we learned anything from this. The answer is yes! I will always remember to confirm that they know they have the right to display any flag that they feel is necessary. I am accustomed to working with workers that are familiar with what we consider standard procedures. That is no excuse...just a fact. Sorry guys!!! I know that does not help Mike. He just texted me to let me know he is on his way home. I, along with the rest of you I am sure, hope he heals quickly and completely.

As far as the rider who didn't get off the track :mad: :mad:

Sublet

8. Crybaby™

Thanks for giving your take on this. I was pretty sure AMA wasn't involved, but didn't know if Mid-Ohio partially had a say in things more so than other tracks. Was this earlier incident referring to race 4?

Also, I appreciate your politically neutral response, but seeing you in action, I somehow get the feeling you were more than clear regarding who can throw red flags after the earlier incident. I really get a sense that the T7 corner crew underestimated the situation and was a bit too tentative to take control in this situation. They are on the opposite side of the track as race control and should know they own the responsibility for that part of the track. Maybe after such a smooth Saturday they got spoiled :)

And I think we can all agree, plenty of fault lies with the depositor of the oil. Not sure what was going through that guys head. I'd love to hear his take and at least an apology to Mike if he hasn't already.

9. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

I got the impression that the T7 people were pretty stand up people.

I don't post on this board very often. It always seems to fire up trouble. I will get off and crawl back into my hole. If there are any questions please feel free to talk to me at the races. I hope to see many of you in PIRC this weekend.

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Jim, can you put "Know your grids" in your signature line?

11. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Why, they still don't.:D

Later

Sublet

12. JJJerry

At least a reference to "Row 35, Grass."

noles19 and JBarx like this.
  13. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

What's funny is I take photos of my grid position, write them down on stickers, and I go to that spot... and half the time I end up getting moved anyway. I'm like "why do I bother anymore?" LOL.

Really... I'll keep going to my grid as it's posted... but stop changing it on me!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was handled.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The corner staff didn't need any of us to call for a red - they were told repeatedly before that incident to call it themselves if there was any issue. AMA had nothing to do with it. None of is were on their radios and we didn't need to be, their control people called for it based on the input they got.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My rule on that is simple - throw the yellows and oil flags and call for a red. As soon as control hears it they call for it full course so we don't have issues. We'll sort it out later if it was right or not but we will never second guess the call at the time.

I'll be attending all CW meetings there in the future to make sure all understand this but we have worked with the same crew in the past and never had the same problem - not sure why they thought there was a change. Either way Sublet told the control people in person as did I to throw a red if there is any doubt and tell us later. This happened Sunday prior to the oil.

The miscommunication is our fault at the end of the day and we'll do everything we can to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. However there is one major thing - there were flags out prior to any bikes going down. There were reds out prior to the last bikes going down. All the flags in the world cannot prevent crashes sadly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the CW's going trackside - nope. Never ever going to require it of them. Especially with an oil spill and the chances of being hit. After losing Hazel a couple weeks ago most tracks are refusing to let them trackside until it's 100% a cold track as well.

18. Crybaby™

Uhg :( Didn't even think of that. Feel like an ass now for suggesting it. Not the first time though.

For what it's worth the hard waving yellow entering T2 was what saved me from the T3 carnage in race 4. So I give an ata boy/girl to that person

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't want to bring it up but it is absolutely on our minds as well as the tracks and other workers.

20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Not a doubt in my mind wera will learn and be better from this. I was just surprised that guy rode it all the way around the track back to the pits.