1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio and STT

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by natedogg624, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Jester is dead

Jester is dead c-4 problem solving

:up:+1 on the deductive reasoning!!

just like monte says in the riders meeting "if your the only A in a sea of I riders chances are theyre not all wrong"

so therefore i think its easy to see who the problem child is here.

like you said if it were STT (monte) then they would be getting kicked out across the nation.

2. lawdog359

lawdog359 Well-Known Member

Uhh, may want to keep reading. A short time later, Monte discloses that he has NO financial interest in Bluegrass.

God I love this place. People will argue a point to death, based on little more than speculation and preconceived notions, and say things like "they could be speaking the gospel truth, but it would be foolish of us to take it as such." When the owner is being as open as he legally can at this point! Awesome.

Sure, I have a bias toward STT, but I will call a spade a spade... Show me a history of poor business practice from STT and then call a conflict of interest. Show me a history of poor business from Mid Ohio MGMT, and I will say you won't have to look very far.

Whether it is, or is not as speculated... the undeniable reality is that there is a very long track record of shitty actions on one side, and not the other. You don't become the biggest org. in the nation by screwing all those in your path. And the rest will come out in the wash.

Think what you will... In fact, do some research and draw your own conclusion based on independent thought. I betcha you will learn a thing or two along the way, if you want to. If you want to believe what you do already.. its a free country and you are entitled to an opinion, no matter how uninformed.

3. RuthlessOne

RuthlessOne Active Member

I sold my spot earlier that day but stayed and watched a friend ride. I just happened to be pitted next to the guy that went down.

He was an Adv. rider on a 07 GSXR 750? He said he was coming into the keyhole when another rider checked up very hard in front of him. To avoid hitting him or her, he braked hard, did an endo and flew off his bike. His bike then flipped over and landed on his chest. He was lying in the center of the Keyhole.

I heard that he was knocked out, but he told me he couldn't move because he couldn't breathe. I saw his chest, it was pretty bruised. I'm glad I did stay because I got to help his family pack and load up his bike. His was a nice guy.

He told us he felt no ill will toward whoever it was. He refused to describe the bike in question. He did not want to make an ordeal out if it. He works in the medical service fields so he knows what to do to take care of himself. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here.

And sorry for the thread jack...

4. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

With conditions and the fact of where it was at, it wasn't the rider in front who was at fault... If he hit the binders hard enough on exit to flip his bike and have it land on himself, he over reacted. Hate saying that as it sounds bad, but rider error was on his part.

Now, throwing a red flag should have been the result and that's yet another issue...

5. LosPer

LosPer Active Member

Apologies man. There is no option to edit at this time. :( Perhaps a mod could help me out here...

Not sure how that happened...must have had nested quotes, and deleted the wrong one.

My biggest concern is the abrupt nature of the change, in the middle of the season. I could understand if a contract was not carried over, but the way this was handled is like an emergency of some kind, which actually makes me concerned. With an absence of facts, people are left only to speculate.

BTW, here is the form response I got from Mid-Ohio School. I am guessing that people's jobs and lawsuits are on the line here with regard to communication around the specifics.

The Mid-Ohio School and Sportbike Track Time mutually enjoyed a positive partnership for the past three plus seasons. We can confirm there was a business parting between Sportbike Track Time and The Mid-Ohio School, and we are no longer associated. We wish Sportbike Track Time well in its future plans. Because this involves private business issues, we are not able to discuss that separation further.

The Mid-Ohio School remains committed to offering top-notch Performance Track Riding events on a great racetrack in Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. All Performance Track Riding events as scheduled for 2009 will be run and we are in the process of planning our 2010 schedule. Our track coaches will be, as they have been in the past, having extensive racing experience and/or be experienced advanced track day riders.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I did keep reading.

I don't think the person who posted the claim meant to imply that Monte has any ownership stake in Bluegrass, but to say that he has "no financial interest" is misleading at best. I would say "untrue."

STT is selling trackdays at Bluegrass, and not at Mid-Ohio. That's a clear financial interest; especially when the tracks are only a couple of hours apart, and will be looking to attract many of the same riders on any given weekend. STT (and by proxy, Monte) stands to make money on the successful sale of trackdays at Bluegrass, and could possibly lose money if people go to Mid-Ohio instead.

it's no different than any other business scenario. if "Nick's pizza" and "Joey's pizza" are right next door to each other, and your business sells sauce to Nick's, but Joey buys from a different distributor, you have a financial interest in sending people to Nick's instead of Joey's. It's not exactly a tough economic nut to crack...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. brother_ed7

brother_ed7 brother_ed7

Lizard is right, it is the person BEHINDS job to make the safe pass, and once he reached us we were 4 wide (trying not to hit the 2 guys in front of us) going into the key hole. I just wanted to know what happened and if the guy was OK. I hate to see anyone crash, but with the conditions being less than perfect and guys already on the track and others with cold tires just entering the track it can get scetchy.
    And talk about sucking up the seat. This was my first track event since braking my leg in Nashville. I was running down the back straight with images of getting clipped in the key hole and all those pins and the plate in my leg getting ripped out.

NV#611
    Sponsors: Bell's Suzuki, Dunlop, LP, CKRA

8. LosPer

LosPer Active Member

Yes, that was exactly what I meant. Thank you for articulating my point so clearly.

For the record, the reason I am so irritated about this situation is that I had been working with a few instructors/control riders who's opinions I really trusted, and who had been teaching me since my first track day last year.

There are some really great people on staff there, who I will no longer have the opportunity to work with on a regular basis. I'm really disappointed about that. Bluegrass is 3+ hours from my house, wheras Mid-O is, like, 45.

People who really care about other rider's progress - who don't have ego problems and who care about instruction before getting in their own track riding - are hard to find. STT had/has some really good ones.

Anyways...onward and upward.

9. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Got it.

10. Lizard 1

Losper-

We are still around and can offer help even if not at the track. Simply ask and we can help via phone or email. PM me your info and I can try and help you out as much as I can.

The naysayers-

On a side note, I love how guys are trying to turn this thing around. They ask if it was STT's doing about the split saying they probably were at fault of sorts. Then, Monte states it was Mid-Ohio's decision and yet, it still remains that STT is the bad guy.

Then, after promoting a new track like BG, he and we staff get rail roaded because we are promoting other venues. Anyone of you guys bitch in the threads about Grattan coming up? Putnam? Gingerman? Barber? Jesus...

If Mid-Ohio was still around and on STT's schedule, we'd promote it. If we lost Grattan for example, do you think it makes sense to advertise we will be at Mid-Ohio to pull that loyal customer base? I think that's smart marketing, don't you? Wouldn't it make freakin sense to promote to a base that is still there to come to an STT event over an unknown? STT isn't at Mid-Ohio anymore.

Nobody said anything bad about Mid-Ohio. There's no bashing. Simple truths may seem like bashing, may seem like bitching, and may appear as complaining, but it is truth and nothing more... It's great in the dry and it has one of the best layouts I have been to. Monte will even tell you he's bummed we aren't riding there anymore. There are good people there like Jess, Ernie, Gregg, etc. There are some bad eggs, too... Point is that it goes beyond safety and the surface. Ever think it could be the last set of straws? Ever think that there are others out there that will support the fact that Mid-Ohio MIGHT be tough to deal with? Ask Swantz what he thinks of the place...

Bottom line is that there are two companies involved here. STT and Mid-Ohio. What happens behind the curtain is none of our business. I do know Monte was willing to finish off the season and do the remaining events. But, it's like telling your boss you're giving him your two weeks. He gets bitter and tells you just to pack it up and leave.

Quit with the speculation. It's crazy. Anyone that has attended one of our events knows how it goes, knows what Monte expects from us all, knows that whether or not you are in Alabama, Michigan or Lexington, the STT staff run a program that is what is expected and is uniform across the board.

Slight differences, but the smell and taste is the same. By the way, STT will be at Putnam August 31st after MotoGP. STT will also be at Grattan Labor Day Weekend. Oh, yeah... We'll be at Barber on the weekend of the 24th, too. Happy now, guys? We plugged other venues that are very easily going to pull from the same Mid-Ohio demographic...:rolleyes:

11. Lizard 1

Isn't it cool that a track day company offers help, offers suggestions to what motorcyclists would want/expect at a new facility? Call it an investment if that makes you happy, but guess what? Doesn't that same opportunity present itself to the other organizations out there?

I love it when a shop asks me why Chaparral gets such good deals and they don't. I tell them they can get the same chances at product as any of the top shops in the country. But, you have to step up, you have to improve marketing, improve warehouse space, improve internet dealings, improve or create a catalog, etc. It doesn't come easy and even though it can be tough, every shop has the same chance to be a Chaparral. Every shop has the same opportunity yet they rather sit back and bitch when all along, they'd take it... if it was handed to them. But, they aren't willing to go and get it...

Think it makes sense to support a track and offer a resume of what can be provided vs. what others can bring. I call it similar to sponsorship. Pitch yourself, show what support you can provide and let the place decide what they want to do. BG is a track owned by a guy older than 10 years old who can make some pretty damn good decisions. He has chosen some really good things he is putting towards the track and it shows he isn't choosing shit at a moments notice.

What gets me is that none of you know what goes into promoting a company, a product or anything similar. Should STT just sit on their hands and wait for someone to call them? Should they simply go with word of mouth alone and hope it gets out to enough people to keep the lights on?

I think STT could actually promote MORE than they do. I think they are only marketing at a lower level than they could. If they wanted, they could open the doors even more and let 'er rip. But, what they have is a great thing and it is approved by a lot of people.

Of course, I am sure you all will look at this as a simple guy who as so well shown - drank the Kool-Aide... I do like Kool-Aide, but Monte and Bonnie are good people and they are obviously good at doing business. Otherwise, they wouldn't still be here.

Have at it, boys. I'm done.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What do you mean, "turning this thing around?" I don't think there was bias at the beginning of the thread. This started as a thread about why the STT dates at Mid-Ohio were canceled. MONTE brought Bluegrass into it, and planted the seed for the discussion to move off topic to a (now) competing track.

I don't doubt it - but I never heard so many vocal complaints about Mid-Ohio before the relationship was terminated. I can't help but feel as though either the comments are coming out now as a means of promoting BG over Mid-O, or that the STT staff has withheld their true feelings for some time now, effectively not giving me; as an STT member, their full honest opinion. shouldn't the latter bother me, if that's the case?

STT should be promoting the hell out of Bluegrass. I'm sure it will be great - but if we were going ot stay on topic, and talk about Mid-Ohio, this thread wasn't and isn't the place to do it.

I'm sure it wasn't Monte's intention to start people 'bashing' Mid-Ohio, but that has happened, and Bluegrass has been promoted. Why should we NOT be skeptical?

you called it "marketing." Do you believe every piece of marketing you see?

13. Lizard 1

Where in the thread is any staff or Monte bashing Mid-Ohio? Where? There has been talk that every year, the sealer gets worse and worse. Where is that bashing the track other than the obvious that has even been stated by an everyday customer?

It's like being married. You don't say anything about your wife, but when you get divorced, you may state some things that you disliked. Some things that were 100% true, but when you were together, you didn't say anything. Of course, behind closed doors, you probably did face to face with her, but we have no business on what goes on behind closed doors.

Dude, you're being pretty lame about all this and I think it is quite funny. It's obvious you dislike STT and that's fine. But quit trying to make it something it isn't. Really...

One quick question, though... Ever ridden Mid-Ohio in the wet? In the very cold temps? If so, you know we aren't telling falsehoods nor bashing. If you haven't, you have no place in debating the issue.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I live to entertain. you're welcome.

disagree with me all you want, Brian, but I think my 'conflict of interest' point was valid. I don't expect you to remain neutral about the track, but don't expect me to just believe your opinion is unbiased either!

for the record, I have nothing against STT. if you want me to be completely honest, generally I prefer to ride with NESBA for a host of reasons that need not be gone into; but regardless, for the second year in a row, I've paid for my STT membership and enjoyed Monte's events and company. Craig, Chad, Jay and Dennis helped me out tremendously over the last two seasons. Good people, and great riders. Especially Dennis. dude can move.

If i choose not to attend STT events in the future, that that decision will be nearly 100% based on your conduct on this forum, the STT board, and Ohioriders.net. To be blunt, I find you to be an incredibly talented rider, and I thoroughly enjoy your posts (most recently, your review of the 1125R) when they deal with the technicalities of riding, at least until someone disagrees with you. It seems you simply MUST be right. When people disagree with you, you simply end up shouting them down, or belittling them for disagreeing with you. It seems as though you can't express a dissenting opinion in a non-abrasive manner, and as such, you make a poor ambassador for STT. I'm sure i'm not the first to be turned-off to STT by your antics online, and I likely won't be the last.

to answer your question, no - i have not ridden Mid-Ohio in the rain. I won't debate with you what constitutes "cold." You can discredit my opinion of the track conditions all you want - I don't believe i've actually voiced any opinions regarding Mid-Ohio's surface or safety, so my opinion is rather irrelevant to your argument. My comments only referenced the conduct of STT staff and instructors, and questioned their potential motives for suddenly being so forthcoming with their negative opinions. I've not seen any other threads where there were so many concerns about wet grip or the Mid-O staff. If I was 'accusatory,' it certainly wasn't my intent to attack anyone's character, but I'd be a fool to simply believe everything any business tells me, especially when it has to do with my potential safety, and when it makes claims about competitors - and let's not kid ourselves, Mid-Ohio most definitely is STT's competitor now.

ride safe, and enjoy Bluegrass.

15. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

the force is strong young jedi

16. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Million $ idea.
    Sportbike Enquirer magazine. Issue 1 aliens polished my crank, inside: The real scoop on STT and Mid Ohio.

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

STT's committment and obligation as a partner with a venue (be it Grattan, GingerMan, Barber, ACC, etc...) is to support, promote and do everything within our power to host safe, fun and profitable events for and at said venue.

If there are issues with the venue our job is to bring them to the venues attention and attempt a resolution as per the framework of our agreement/contract. The latter assumes that both parties will abide by the contract/agreement and act in good faith.

Make sense?

18. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

They beat you at your own game? Sorry Monte, you can't pitch a slow soft one accross the plate and not expect a brother to take a swing! :D

19. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Glad he was OK.

He was lying at the ENTRANCE to the key hole. I was behind him as he just blew past me coming onto the front stretch. A coach was between us and stopped to help him. That was the most stupid thing I have ever seen on a race track.. Someone stopping to help a downed rider. That almost involved me in the accident and that isn't the proper thing to do in a situation like that. Mid Ohio better get there shit together and properly train these said coaches as what to do and NOT to do. I understand that this day was kind of thrown together at the last minute, but people get killed from dumb mistakes like that. I could have crashed and/or hit that coach running unto the track. THEN....people the must have seen a flag somewhere, slowed down and pulled to the right like it was a freaking nascar caution or something. More emphesis needs to be put on the flags and how things work during the riders meeting if people aren't getting it. The weather had a major factor inthe chaos, but things could have run smoother for sure. Cudos to those that tried to make the best of a bad situation.

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

And it's going....going... and that one's OFF the reservation folks!!!

Name the announcer and movie.