Michelin EVOs...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Apr 29, 2015.

1. abhijitz

abhijitz Member

Thanks MELK, Rob and Roy for your inputs. I will post feedback after next weekend's event.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Daytona ? we'll be there !

3. abhijitz

abhijitz Member

No, I am from NorCal, will be at Thunderhill. back on a 600 after 4 years.

4. abhijitz

abhijitz Member

Update from the weekend :

Temperatures were around 60 with spotty rains. After discussing with Dave Moss and looking at tire wear, early AM cold pressure was 18R/28F with off warmers at 23R/33F (I did not get a chance to measure off track).

On 18th as temperatures went above 70, we bumped up to 1 psi.

Overall great tires, very light and front is flickable. Obviously i ran very slow pace (fast B - 2:10-2:13's @ Thunderhill) and the rear tire had decent wear for 1.5 days. I think i could get 5-6 days out of 1 rear at my pace. BUT, am sure at A group pace the rear will go fast.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. abhijitz

abhijitz Member

Update from Nov 20/21 Thunderhill trackday :

Temperatures were still at 60s. I used the same psi. I finally got upto speed and moved to A group for some clear track. Did some consistent 2:05s with a 2:04. I had electrical issues again on Oct 20 which ruined my first half. I was able to find the offending wire and touching the radiator. I am usually not hard on the gas on exits so did not experience much spinning. TC was off on purpose as i wanted to experience some rear slides. They were predictable. The front is great, under extreme leans they will chatter away but recover fast if you are quick to standup the bike.

I will post some pictures shortly on the tire wear. It was very uniform. As with Thunderhill lefts are more worn down and i would need to flip it. So, in effect i got 2 full days at a mix of B and slow A pace. I am hoping to get down to 2:00s next trackday as i have figured out 4-5 corners to work on. Pretty sure at faster A pace & even faster race pace the rear will last 2 days, even lesser. So IMO, it will be a great deal for if 2+1 deal continues as otherwise a set is expensive.

Rear :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

I have a general tire question that applies to michelin evos, Does there come a point where the track temp is to low to get the tire into the proper working heat range? Obviously I'm not talking about below freezing temps, but say 40 F, track temp, could an average club racer keep the proper heat in at a temp that low?

lopitt85 likes this.
  7. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Is the buy 2 rears get front free deal still available? Are there any michelin vendors at jennings gp trackdays?

8. bibmen

bibmen Tire Guy

We will be running the EVO Challenge again for a few months this year (trackside only) due to the fact we ran out of tires so early last year due to the demand. I do not have a definite start date to the program for this season yet. I hope to have it soon. As to if there will be a vendor at Jennings it depends on the date and organization. Feel free to contact me with more information and I can direct you to the correct service provider. [email protected] or 409-771-3950
    Thanks

9. bibmen

bibmen Tire Guy

I am sorry I just saw this post. All tires have a temperature they work best at; he EVO range is very wide. You can use the EVOs at 40 degrees provided you can get the tires up to temperature through your riding. I rode on them this past weekend in sleet at INDE in Arizona at the Yamaha Champions School :)

Attached Files:

10. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Ok thanks