1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meta???......

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

i guess it's the upgrade from second life to fortnite / minecraft and all the single - / multiplayer stuff to basically merge all the kids in their moms basement reality with the social mirror reality and real life $ and other aspects (credit score, ... )

the masses will fall for it and celebrate it as the latest and greatest.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My children would challenge that assertion.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t think this VR/AR whatever stuff is going to quite play out the way everyone thinks. It’s predicated on our civilization growing ever wealthier and more complex. Permanent growth is a thermodynamic impossibility, eventually we’ll plateau and collapse.

Our society is already becoming a dystopia and moving toward becoming a shithole where’s there’s only the haves and have nots. The haves will have their brains jacked into a server and live fantasy lives in virtual fantasyland, everyone else will be fighting eachother for food.

I watched a video yesterday on the fantastic movie “Children of Men”, and it described how the entire point of the movie was to show a world without purpose. It’s remarkable how many trends in that movie you can point to today. Like people obsessing over animals, treating them as children and dressing them up.

If there’s any movie that describes our most likely future, it’s probably “The Day After” not “The Matrix”.

Past Glory likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can buy a VR setup for less than a smart phone, and the price is only going to come down, give it a little time.

8. SGVRider

True, but is that immersive or advanced enough to do what The Zuck is envisioning? The day we’re truly doomed as a society is when it’s good enough to replace real life sexy time. Then we’ll quickly go extinct.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Do you just wear them, or do you plug them into the back of your neck yet?

10. SGVRider

I suspect the jack won’t go into your neck. They’ll put it on the other end of the spinal cord where’s there’s already an orifice where the cord and plug will store neatly. :D

11. Dan Dubeau

Covid-47 Plus+ will make sure we will never be allowed any human to human contact outside of our individual bubbles suits anymore. Sexy time will be all virtual. For $129.99/month you can subscribe to unlimited new partners.

418 likes this.
  12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sexy time is already occurring in VR, with optional 'haptics' if you want.

13. Dan Dubeau

So you're saying Dave K's cord is gonna smell like breath mints? :D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Zubin Mehta is one of my favorite conductors.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Shit, that's gettin' off cheap in more ways than one!

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Nah. Because some haves are cool and still want to be normal. They'll align with the have nots, finance their crusades, and reject technology. Eventually the boldest of the have-nots will take up arms, kick in the doors of the haves, and shoot them in the face.

I'd watch that movie. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, I know a guy making and selling virtual racecars for video games. No clue how it works or why anyone would do it but he make money from it.

People have no problem paying for video game stuff.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If he uses Mentos Dave could have sparks shooting out of his ass.

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Attached Files:

Past Glory and Sabre699 like this.
  20. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I've always seen 'Soylent Green' as our future. There's a service series, can't remember if Showtime or HBO, called 'Years and Years'. Not as depressing as 'Children of Men', but a similar vision. Of course, they do all lead up to 'The Day After'.