1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's Rugby

Discussion in 'General' started by klebs01, Feb 13, 2011.

1. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Ok, little OT here, but I know there are other former rugby players. Well, I just got done watching 2 days of the USA 7s tournament and am getting the itch to play. There is a club that plays just down the road from my house and I'm thinking of trying to play a little this spring.

Has anyone tried to play after a good number of years off?

Is it worth it or did you just realize how old and out of shape you are?

I have trouble motivating myself to work out alone, but love competitive environments like that, do you think it would be worth trying out to get back into shape?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It's worth it. The biggest shock for me was remembering, "Oh yeah.. This shit hurts"!

3. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

Yea see the sevens tournament today. I don't think i am as tough as i was when i was 16,17, and 18. I don't know about you, but in those years i got knocked out 8-10 times broken ribs and a broken ankle not to mention the countless little injuries back then that probability wont be so little now.
    Is it worth it? not to me i have a day job and a mortgage.

4. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I played for 18 years. Give it a shot. It will be motivating when you're working out with a team of rugby players!!!

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I returned to the pitch for an Indianapolis team before I moved south. Practiced for a few weeks and got back in shape.

Toughest part was that I wasn't nearly as fast as I once was before (I played wing forward and fullback) and less excited about throwing my body in front of a packee just to make the tackle.

The running and getting tackled was great for getting back in shape though.

6. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Great sport and because it keeps moving, you'll be whipped into shape. Even the props nowdays are fit!

7's will be an Olympic sport next time around. Full on 15's is much better to watch, much more strategy and flow.

7. klebs01

Yeah, I used to play back in college. I'm thinking I will look to get back in as a winger, not a fly half, I'm not ready for all that contact yet. I'm definitely not in shape now, but I figure if I don't give it a shot, I'll never know. I might as well reach out to the team and give it a shot. Whats that worse that can happen?

8. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

The playing is fine, it is next morning when you try to get out of bed that hurts. Always takes me 2 - 3 matches to get "match fit". training never quiet equals the hits you give and take in a match

9. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Men's Rugby

As opposed to what? Women's Rugby?:D

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

The only think I know about Rugby are the Springboks and Nelson Mandela

11. klebs01

Well I was think men's as in adult, not youth.

Well, it looks like I'll have my first practice Sunday night. I'm fully expecting to puke, and not be able to walk on Monday.

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Let's hope you have all of your ribs in tact when you leave. I didn't..

13. klebs01

Ha, I'm aware of the risks. I have a dental implant from my college days to remind me.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Played club sport for about a year until my beak got busted yet again and it took the doctor 4 hours to straighten it back out.