1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maui....places to stay?

Discussion in 'General' started by MV, Jan 3, 2008.

1. MV

MV Well-Known Member

I’m planning on going to Maui for 7-10 days. One person. (me)

I like to snorkel and Dive. Like something close to the beach and restaurants.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I’ve just spent 4 hours surfing
    400 websites. Have some ideas, but if someone stayed someplace nice,
    I’d appreciate any the input

Thanks in advance. All knowing BBS :bow:

2. sgr62004

sgr62004 Well-Known Member

I got married there in 05, it was the best time of my life. my wife has contacts for the condo we used and everything you want to do is pretty much walking distance. the condo is sweet as hell. send me a private message with ur # and i can give you all the info

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I stayed here when I visited. Great views of Molokai and a good location to just chill and dig the Aloha spirit(s).

mmfoor

4. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

Stay in Kihei in a condo, there are a ton of them so they regulate themselves as far as prices go.

Kihei is the less touristy side of the island and since it is on the other side of the volcano you get less wind in the afternoon. Not many places ON the beach, you may have to cross a street to hit the beaches. But FAR less people to annoy you.

DO NOT STAY IN A PLACE EAST/SOUTH OF KAMAOELE BEACH #1. Little known fact, there is a sewage/run off area that runs through that area and dumps into the ocean so all the run off from the sugar cane fields and such goes into the ocean there and drifts west/north making the beaches not as nice. We did stay at this place however:
    http://kiheibeachresorts.com/
    with no issues, however, wandering for a while down the beach you could see and smell the water difference.

Maui Banyan is nice to stay at too: http://www.mauibanyan.com/

Also, ask the places over the phone about their levels. Sometimes it is a number, sometimes it is a gold, silver, bronze rating. Whatever. Usually there is only a small price difference, but it is referring to how updated the places are. So a bronze level place has never been remodeled, redecorated, etc while a gold level place is usually updated within the past couple of years. Means you get a nicer place, newer beds, updated couches, we even had a flat panel TV and DVD player while the people that chose not to go to a gold level had a non-work VCR and tiny TV.

Kihei has some great bars and night life too (check out Lulu's while you are there).

Depends on when you are going, but between now and mid April it is considered "peak season" due to the humpbacks and snowbirds.

Kihei beach Resort- $180/night for a week= $1080 plus 7th night is free

5. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

PM me or email me if you want to know more or want to know of places to check out. I used to go down there every year with my daughter Kiele

6. zupatun

zupatun Well-Known Member

If you have the means, the Four Seasons at Wailea is bar none the best hotel IMHO...stayed there a few days on my honeymoon, but sadly probably won't go there again--just too damn expensive. However, they know your name when you go to get your car out of valet parking...freaked me out. If you like getting your assed kissed it's the place to go...my wife loved it, I'd rather stay in a condo.

My brother did a condo in Maui and it was very affordable. I'd recommend going with a local's recommendation as in the previous email though.

FWIW I used a travel guide for Maui and Kuai by Andrew Doughty called Maui Revealed. Truly the best and up to date travel guide for the Islands bar none. I think they hit everything right on the money and gives a wide range of choices at any level you are looking for...upscale, midscale and budget minded travel. Best money I spent for the whole vacation. The only better option is to travel with a local.

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199450341&sr=8-1

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The Hyatt. It was really nice. 4-5 excellent restaurants within the hotel. An awesome Italian place downstairs and a beautiful place to have breakfast outside every morning. We stayed there for our honeymoon and really didn't have to leave the hotel at all if we didn't want to, there was so much to do.

8. chas

chas Well-Known Member

for diving, I have used the Maui Dive Shop. Good group of people I found. If you go, don't miss Lanai, and the Cathedrals. Some amazing diving at Cathedrals.

As someone else mentioned, Lulu's has some good food and good beer.

If you get up to the Pa'ia area, and like Sushi check out Jacques

I stayed in a condo in Kehei, so not sure if that would be price acceptable for a single person.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Be sure to eat at Kimo's in Lahaina, on of the best surf and turf's I've ever had. Take your patience, because traffic is a bitch and noone gets in a hurry, anywhere. If you do the road to Hana, don't turn around at the end and go back, you can continue on around the island and it will bring you back out on the other side of the airport. I did it in a Ford Taurus!:D

10. seven158

seven158 Well-Known Member

All of the resorts in Ka'anapali are nice. some are certainly nicer than others ($$). When I went there this summer, I did notice that the big name places had a lot nicer pools, which attracted a lot more kids. We stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, its one of the older places, and it was definitely not as ritzy as the newer one. It had a more traditional Hawaiian feel.

If you are looking for something that's not resort-y, check out The Inn at Mama's Fish House. we stayed there for the first 4 nights. It's in Pa'ia, on the north side of the island. Very cool little private cottages. Even if you don't stay there, you should check out the restaurant...:up:

11. seven158

+1 on Jacques. The sushi chef was out the day we ate there, but the regular food was really good.

12. MV

MV Well-Known Member

Thanks

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

14. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I stayed in the Marriott, it was beautiful and they had all sorts of exotic birds around... if you get the chance, you HAVE to hike the rain forest. It smells like mango's and is just amazing..

15. MV

MV Well-Known Member

At first glance ....I thought you wrote "it smells like Mongo" ....eeeww.:)

Thanks again for all the ideas.

16. BobbyHP2

BobbyHP2 Yeah, I ride a BMW so WTF

Kihei is good, check out the Maui Dive shop there and say hi to Cory, he's there I think full time and my GF's lil brother, rides a BMW F650GS. If you eat any version of Sushi you HAVE to go to Sansei Sushi in Kihei, it was phenomenal to say the least. If you don't mind plopping down $4k a week my GF's family has a 4 bedroom rental overlooking Kihei in about the nicest suburb in Maui. There are dual sport rentals at the Harley/KTM/Suzuki/etc shop and I will definitely be riding up the back side of Haleakala (sp) next time I am there. We took a rental jeep pretty far up the dirt roads you're not supposed to take rentals on and it was one of the best jeep day trips I have ever had, let alone in a rental completely stock jeep, breath taking to say the least. Malakini was a neat place to go snorkelling if the currents/weather permit. But I had just as much fun going as far south the road will take you from Kihei and going snorkelling off the shore, saw just about everything from an eel to a sea snake to a small shark. Have fun!!

17. SWIGZ Racing

SWIGZ Racing WERA/AFM Expert..AMA 2009

Maui Prince in Makena

Just got back from 11 days there last week - it's quiet, no kids really, small pool, but, they have their own catamaran over to Molokini for diving - it's called the "Last Resort" because it is the farthest south and closest to Molokini. I had my complaints with them but overall they are pretty good.

18. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

just had my honeymoon there in November. All the resort hotels seem nice. I've actually forgot the name of the one we stayed at.

But, you should check out the "old Lahina" Lu'au it's really good.
    We took a snorkle trip out to molokeni (spelling?) crater. That was really cool.

There's tons of stuff to do there. If you just ride around the island you'll find plenty of places advertising for different adventures.

Have fun!

19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

A MUST DO when on Maui:

The Maui downhill: 38 MILES of downhill mountian biking, a van ride to the top of Haliakala volcano, then ride down the road, switchbacks by the dozen!! :beer:

Seriously, one of the coolest things I've done in my life. :clap:

Be careful with picking a bike company, some use a guide and fat dumbo Beach Cruiser bikes - I used Haliakala Bike Co., no guides = as FAST as YOU want to go, and have top notch Gary Fisher ATB's with disc brakes, suspension, and slicks.... Only choice for a racer!!! :up:

Enjoy!!!

( oh yea - Little Beach is the clothing optional beach... ) :wow:

20. seven158

try zip lining on Mt. Haleakala too, that was tons of fun