1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Math/Excel Geeks Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Feb 4, 2021.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Trying to come up with some formulas and I must have smoked to much of the good stuff in high school and college, because I'm just not getting it.

I'm trying to set up a formula for goal setting with member retention and growth.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:
    Member count at beginning of period (period will be some number of months) - it's a known value
    Desired member count at end of period (again, period will be some number of months) - it's a known value
    Number of months in the period - it's a known value
    Average Member Attrition (number of members lost over the course of a month/total employee count at the beginning of the month) - it's a known value

I'm trying to solve for how many members need to be added each month for x months to end up with the desired member count at the end of the period.

For this example, I start with 1000 members. At the end of 6 months, I want to have at least 1050 members. I know each month I'm going to lose approximately 5% of the members that I started the month with. I need to know how many members I need to add each month to reach that goal while factoring in that I'm going to lose some each month.
    I know the number is 60 here because the math works, but, I had to figure it out by process of elimination.

upload_2021-2-4_19-44-21.png

I'd like to do something like this where you fill out A B C and D and it provides E
    Starting member count = A
    Attrition = B
    Desired member count = C
    Number of months to reach goal = D (could be variable...just used 6 above as an example)
    Number of members that will need to be added each month to reach goal = E

Is it humanly possible to come up with a formula to solve for E if you know A, B, C and D?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I2=K2-(C2-G2) and then just drag it down...
    parenthesis not needed, but there for ease of explaining

3. worthless

In this example, I solved it. Without knowing I2, you don’t know K2.
    I solved it by trial and error. I want to be able to solve it without trial and error.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

oh i see....is there a minimum k in each row/month needed? like need to stay above some threshold?
    because you can just keep on decreasing and in month 6 need like 500 new members

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This is fairly straightforward geometric growth. You start with 1000 and want to get to 1053, so 5.3% growth. It's over 6 periods, so 1.053^(1/6)-1 = 0.86%. Each period has a churn of 5%, so by definition the acquisition rate has to be 5.86%.

upload_2021-2-4_21-4-42.png

Jedb and BigBird like this.
  6. worthless

I think you pretty much got it, but I still can't figure it out. The 5.3% growth makes sense. But how did you get from 5.3% growth to 1.053 in your formula? And what the hell is that thing between the 1.053 and (1/6)?

I'm trying to put something out that others could use. The user would enter B1, B2, B3, and B4. What is the formula that would be needed to produce B5?
    upload_2021-2-4_21-40-46.png

To see if your formula works, B1 = 700, B2 = 885, B3 = 6%, B4 = 9. I know the answer is 68, but I don't know what formula would go in B5 that would result in a value of 68.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Hookers and blow

KneeDragger_c69 and R Acree like this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

1.053 is "1 + 5.3%". Said another way, your current value plus the growth.

^ means "to the power of". 3^2=9

BigBird likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

upload_2021-2-5_8-4-51.png

11. SuddenBraking

Here's the longform (just changed the inputs from yesterday's screenshot). To be clear, the 68.47 above is a simplistic linear average - the actual mean is 67.3 when doing it longform (accounting for the geometric growth).

upload_2021-2-5_8-9-41.png