1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez to Race Portimao.

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

He didn’t have a Repsol spot. A certain world champion turned Prima Donna turned Dbag traveller turned MotoGP analyst walked away from HRC. That spot was 100000000% never intended for Alex. That being said. It made more sense putting him there as Cal was on his way out and Taka already gelled with his crew and his brother was to be his team mate. No one in here said he should have been factory Repsol. You act like we say he should have been. We are just saying he’s earned a ride somewhere in MotoGP. You are hell bent on trying to convince us otherwise. Lol.

BigBird likes this.
  2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I don’t use MotoGP.com, it’s just from my memory, also he beat all those guys to become the world champ, simple as that.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

oh they were a year ago in here. but yea, time softens the memory i guess. backing off a little, but still holding strong.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Marc used his contract negotiations to get HRC to sign Alex to Repsol. Then the second they could after that huge Marc contract was signed, HRC bumped Alex down to LCR where he belongs.

Of course I’m half making this up. But you know it makes a lot of sense.

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Half!

We told you a million times to stop exaggerating!

6. stangmx13

My statements are based on reality :crackup:

7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I just think a lot of people bag on the guy like he cant ride. Thats obviously not the case based on his career. No one can who cant ride would have his resume. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Rossi and Marquez, but he is a MotoGP caliber rider.

BigBird likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

What I hope doesn't happen:

1. MM goes easy in FP.
    2. Goes balls out in Q, landing a second row spot.
    3. Sunday AM FP, he "feels something not right" in his shoulder.
    4. Pulls out of race.
    5. Monday exam shows more damage; out for at least half the season.

Please don't happen! Even as a factory rider for Evil Honda, I beg you to take care of yourself!

Gino230 and Quicktoy like this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a real scenario. Except # 4 doesn’t happen and # 5 is modified to end of career. I’m afraid he is going to try and make up for lost time .

Quicktoy and YamahaRick like this.
  10. stangmx13

IMO, worst-case scenario is he falls and permanently destroys his atrophied shoulder. I think he knows this and will baby it all weekend. I won't be surprised if he finishes as the last Honda.

Portimao seems to be a tough track for braking. It likely suits the RCV more than Qatar, and Taka went well there last year. But its still not one of HRC's regular stomping grounds. And no way MM will be magic on the brakes right away.

Quicktoy likes this.
  11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I know for many of us, going out would be a giant unknown with very little data to compare to.

But with MM and modern technology, I speculate that they have a better idea of what stresses his arm will face and what he can withstand. They have sensors everywhere on the bike, such as Brembo can tell you exactly how much force needed to stop bike.

Wondering if he's been training at race force levels so he knows that his body can withstand the rigors of full race weekend.

Of course, crashing changes the equation entirely because even though forces overall are decently understood, the specifics on a given bone for a given crash are pretty unpredictable.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Many of us don’t remember how well we healed when we were young and even fewer of us had the nutrition and therapy dialed like him in any way. If that bone is fully healed and he’s had a few weeks to work it like a rented mule, watch out.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Also many of us don’t remember watching the documentary of him rehabbing his shoulders in between seasons. He was an animal in the gym. He trains like he’s a world champion.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

He’s been out on an RC213VS a few times, which is as close as he can get with the testing restrictions.

I would not be surprised if he’s in the top 5 this weekend.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Same. You guys need to consider we aren't talking about a mere mortal. This dude is the alien that crushed all the others we thought were aliens. He won as a rookie almost right out of the box. My only doubt is if that Honder is up to the task. If it's able to be won on, he'll get there sooner than later. If the bike requires his insane level of pitch and catch we've witnesses from him over the years, it may take him a race or two to get back in the groove of that goofy level of riding. He's a world champion. It's all he knows. Short of his arm falling off, he'll get to the front.

BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

and if MM93 decimates the field this weekend, on a new track, new to him bike, serious injury and all that time off...then the rest of the riders just need to start looking for 2nd place, and that would be soul crushing to them, and all the factories.

Senna, scottn, Quicktoy and 1 other person like this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Especially when there is so much hope and dreaming amongst all the riders and factories for the past year. It must really suck to put in all that effort knowing you have no hope of winning the championship.

Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That was my argument with Marc on the sidelines last year. Guys stepped it up knowing they were racing for a win, not just a podium. The WC was in play too.

Quicktoy likes this.
  19. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for the long-term health of this sports' riders, MM has changed the game to one that requires a lot of crashing. That simply isn't a recipe for healthy riders with long careers. But, it's what they will be forced to do to compete with him.

stk0308, Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It’s a fool’s errand up to a point. Outside of sudden injuries and failures to adapt, most of the career moves these guys make aren’t super surprising. They follow a common pattern.

Many guys here thought it was fucking idiotic the way Marc and Honda handled his arm injury and prognosticated correctly that it would completely backfire.

Marc is as close to Superman as it’s possible for a human to be, but he’s still not Superman. No matter what lies he and Honda promulgate, his arm and shoulder issues are going to affect his career negatively beyond what we’ve already seen. He’s either going to have to adapt his riding style or Honda will have to adapt the bike.

Quicktoy likes this.