1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez and crashing

Discussion in 'General' started by 600 dbl are, Nov 2, 2017.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

2. His days got to be coming, you can only cheat major injury so many times.

3. 600 dbl are

One of my biggest fears for him. I believe he is pushing his bike further than it should be pushed to achieve the victories. The question remains will Honda pull a Honda (and Ducati) and think that since he is winning there is nothing wrong with the bike?

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

And how many crashes has Rossi had...

He finds the limit in practice and backs off a titch during the race. Kid has major kahunas.

JBall, throwdown and iomfan like this.
  5. Rossi is always among the riders with the least amount of crashes, every year.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That is exactly what Yamaha did to Rainey too. "How can the bike be bad. He is leading the championship."

stk0308 likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Who’s to say he hasn’t been somewhat seriously injured? That’s part of the game in this business, riders tend to conceal their injuries so no one else smells blood in the water.

8. 600 dbl are

Yamaha learned their lesson though. Hell, the first M1 in 2002 wasn't a full 990CC engine allowed per rules and it wasn't fuel injected. The R7 was FI but their flagship GP machine wasn't, how much sense does that make? That was one of the reasons Biaggi stated you have to be on a Honda to win the championship.

Weird considering a GP star can't stub their toe without the world knowing about it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Sabre699 likes this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That's cause he's old, and knows that falling down hurts. Rossi slowly works up to the limit starting on friday. Marc goes out, finds it right away, then starts backing it down.

I've been thinking that for years. As the old saying goes, "there are old pilots, There are bold pilots, but there are no Old, Bold pilots." I think it will be incredible if he goes his whole gp career without major injury.

10. You can look back to earlier years and see the same thing. He has never been “a crasher”, which is the main reason he is still capable of winning even though he is “old”.

stk0308, 418 and BigBird like this.
  11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Rossi went how many races straight without missing one, then came the leg break in 2010? It's not if, it's when, assuming you stick around long enough.

12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

FIFY

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Ya, he's always been like that. Friday shit, saturday qualifies poor, sunday right there with everybody else. He inches his way up to that limit all weekend long.

It's like walking out on first ice (for all you icefisherman). You take your time, spuding your way out there. Marc just runs straight out there. If he falls in, he gets up, drys off and might not go out as far next time

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Didn't Spies, without the crashing, said that when learned new tracks quickly in WSBK, he would half the time be running off the track the first few laps, trying to find the limit/lines, and then he was good. I guess sick GOAT 2.0 already knows these tracks, the Slonda is the only thing holding him back, so he has to toss a few before he finds the limits.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the bike. Marquez would crash them all. It's just the way he's wired.

The most impressive part is that it doesn't break down his confidence at all. Granted, I have to pay to fix my shit, but I know it hurts my results a lot if I fall down early in a weekend. Marquez just shrugs , gets on the next bike and crashes that one too. Then he goes out and wins on Sunday. He's not my favorite personality, but you have to appreciate that level of confidence and aggression.

There are three manufacturers in the championship, really. The top nine in points are made up of three Hondas, three Yamahas, and three Ducatis. That's pretty cool. This may be the closest equipment race we've ever seen, which is the reason there have actually been some good battles.

16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'm sure a bunch of that has to do with the majority of his crashes being lowsides at which he is already so damn far off the bike and the lean angle so extreme that he's essentially sitting on the ground already (which also coincides with a lot of his low speed wash out saves). you don't see too many highsides launching him into the stratosphere as you do nice easy slide offs, which would tend to lessen the chances of him having clavicle/shoulder smashes. as long as you don't go tumbling thru the dirt and catch your wrist/ankle somewhere, i'd also imagine it keeps a lot of the injuries at bay for him from the lowsides. then its no big thing... dust off the leathers, hop back on it. lorenzo and dani seem to get way more slams from the sky than he does. i'd imagine that takes more wind out of your sails even without a bone break.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Crashing well is a skill set too. Not going to help in all situations but MM93 obviously has it down pat.

RichB and BigBird like this.
  18. I would love to have that kind of freedom. It would be awesome to be able to go out and push and try to find the limit, without being worried about any repercussions.

That’s why I’ve only highsided once in my life. The whole time I have to think about getting to work.

I ride “hard”, and slowly work my way up to speed, but I don’t push hard enough that crashing is a real concern.

I would love to go out knowing I don’t have to worry about getting injured or fixing the bike, and could only focus on going as fast as possible.

But I reckon that goes for all of us.

418 and 5axis like this.
  19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Wasn’t Rossi’s first big injury in 2010 at Mugellow?