Marine electronics

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Nov 15, 2018.

1. It’s the mystery cabelas. I couldn’t find it either. Maybe he has his own Black Friday sale :). I like the Ti stuff, good value. You also need to get your ass to a store and spend a couple hours playing around with them. Or have a lot of buddies with a variety of cool shot who let you use their boats. I only have a couple of those so Garmin and Lowrance I’m familiar with. We will see how the forward facing infrared or whatever it is deal works in a couple hours in the fog. I’m hoping to be off the water before the duck hunters all head out. Total shit show with them out there. Apparently this morning once bounced off a piling of a bridge at a good clip but made it to shore before the boat sank. Ripped a nice hunk of alum off the boat from what I’m told.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Would that work for rum fueled money hides as well?

3. I need to get a hand held, been on my list for a while. I just want it so I can “suggest” where to fish at when I’m on a boat with the few pro guys I fish with occasionally and look like I’m damn good. I’ll neglect to tell them I fished the water the day before and have all my good spots stored :) and NO this is not in tournaments where you cannot fish the lakes x days before, I’m an asshole but not a cheater.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I wish, gps is only accurate to about 10 feet. I hide stuff in 1 room and still can't find it. About to take a 25 hour long train ride to Mumbai, rum is hard to find here, might have to settle for whiskey today? :timeforabeer:

5. Captain Morgan

It is kind of amazing, the fishing technology for fresh water fishing

6. Heck any kind of fishing. Even some I’ve seen on old achool tuna boats are still pretty amazing when you think about it. The downfall, like anything else now a days is people don’t learn the finafementals. I have some days where by choice I just use a basic $100 Walmart fish finder.

7. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Oops. :oops: It’s actually a 9” for $599 w/ the TotalScan transducer. Normally $1000. It’s in a flyer that came in the mail and it looks to be in store only.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Buzz kill

9. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

It’s still a great deal. You can buy 3 for under $2K. Get a network cable and a Point 1. Sell the extra transducer to pay for the Point1. You might only want two, not sure if you guys use them on the bow offshore. If that’s the case, you’re into everything including mounting for around $2k.

Keep a look out in the coming days. There is sure to be some blow out deals on the 12”. Im sure many others will be trying to get rid of these units(9 & 12) as the Ti2’s have just been released.

Here’s a Carbon 12 at a good price. https://bbgmarine.com/lowrance-hds1...talscan-transom-mount-transducer-p-21750.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've worked with Navico (Lowrance and Simrad parent company) and Raymarine pretty extensively. My take based on dealing with people at both companies and dealing with product from both companies is I would much rather buy and work with Raymarine and run away from Navico. Also shooting the shit with some boat builders and installers at a conference last year they seemed to have similar thoughts. Navico stuff is a joke, and Garmin and Raymarine are the standards. I admittedly don't know much about humminbird but I know a handful of guys that really like them and are fans of what they're coming out with.

12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

This would be my reco as well. After having all the systems (raymarine, Garmin, Simrad, Hummingird, Etc. ) I'd get a garmin and be done.

hummingbird is freshwater stuff, and the rest of the OEMs are $$$ once you start to build the network out.

13. Captain Morgan

If I wanted to catch small mouth/ large mouth I would be in? Hummingbird all the way for the application. Not here to tell anybody right or wrong, just real fishing advice from a guide

14. Preference. I know top bass anglers who disagree with that, sponsorship aside. Damn perfect day to fish but instead I went to Atlanta and back now have other priorities.

BHP41 likes this.
  15. Captain Morgan

Never even heard of Navico, they new?? I mostly only fish salt

16. Captain Morgan

Guess I'm out of the loop! So Navico owns Simrad, RayMarine and Lowrance??

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I really don't care what flavor it is. I'd love to drop some furuno stuff on it but I think it is overkill for a bay boat I may not even like.

I have older furuno stuff on my other boat and at the time it was the best.

18. Captain Morgan

I had
    Used them on bigger boats with radar, They are good, but just for a inshore/ calm offshore boat just get what works for what you need. Learning to read water, knowing temps, tides, moons, seasonal migrations/ spawning will take you a lot farther than any plotter/ fish finder will

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Furuno made catching yellowfin on the other side tart proof. Best days of my life.

20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Radar chasing birds