Malaysian Airlines 777 shot down

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Jul 17, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, that one.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I thought that was quite a few years ago. 02? Did they lose too much capacity or did he crash just generally damage their morale and reputation? Things don't look good for Malaysian Airlines' future. I can't recall any other airline suffering a loss of 2 widebody jetliners and all souls onboard; in a 3 month span.

If they planned a flight over a known war zone that the FAA already banned for US carriers, then everyone involved in that should be fired. It sounds like the whole airline needs to change. If this were a US company I would foresee most of the top level executives being gone within a few weeks.

3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

completely agree

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

That's what is so crazy, plane was at full cruise 32K+, so "whoever" did this knew 100% what they were doing no doubt about it. And an airliner with no military ties, kind of serious.

I don't see this ending well for anyone, with that RIP to the inocents.

5. Your information is incorrect. The FAA banned US carriers from flying over Crimea. The area of Ukraine where the crash occurred is not Crimea, and there is no ban. As was stated earlier in this thread, the route is used by multiple international carriers every day.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't remember exactly how that bankruptcy went down, and it certainly was a combination of factors, but the crash cause substantial damage to the company's reputation.

7. It will likely end up the same way as things did after KAL 007, and Iran Air 655.

8. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Echo the RIP to all those innocent lives. They are showing the bodies in the wreckage.

As for not seeing this ending well for anyone...well, there's always golf.

9. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

where?

10. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Wow, 2 pages and hasn't moved to the dungeon yet.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm only on page 1 :Poke:

you must need to update your preferences to 50 posts per page....trust me you'll thank me

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Regardless, blame must still be apportioned beyond the scum who shot down the plane. As I tell my employees, just because other companies do something it doesn't make it a good idea or something we should do. Other people doing something and not suffering negative consequences isn't prima facie evidence that it's an intelligent decision.

It could have been any airliner that was shot down, it's just that the misfortune fell on this aircraft and carrier. The fact is that this was reasonably foreseeable, and the airline still chose to do it. If many other airlines were doing it, it means they all had faulty risk management practices. This has happened before, several times.

13. If airliners stopped flying over conflict areas, no one could ever go anywhere.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

How often are air lines routes changed? I thought those were purchased in advance or something?

15. It's a huge logistical nightmare to change routing - affects all kinds of stuff.

Airlines rely on governments to tell them whether particular routes are safe enough to traverse - the route was open. SGV's position on this issue is untenable.

16. six6two

six6two AWD

Looks like Putin's plane may have been intended target...

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fixed that for you

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Juicy! Cite?

19. six6two

six6two AWD

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I'm still holding my bet that it was an operator who didn't know what they were doing. Just because you obtain a high tech piece of machinery, doesn't mean you know what to do with it. There's absolutely no benefit for the separatists or Russia to shoot down an airliner, especially a Malaysian one. The World doesn't react well to deaths from something they can relate to, like a passenger jet.

I doubt that operating that thing is like playing an arcade game.

If you remember, there was video footage of a separatists doing donuts in the town square with a captured armored troop carrier. Not something you'd see from an experienced army.