1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinist in Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by SLLaffoon, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I'm looking for someone to run a production/prototype shop in Atlanta. He or she needs to know Mastercam or some equivalent and be able to setup and run a VMC as well as a turning center with live tooling. It's at a ~5yr old medical device startup and we are adding another skillset. I want this person is to be able to contribute to product development too, so I want a lot more than a button pusher. We machine more than just steel and aluminum too. PM me here for more details.

2. SLLaffoon

I've got a little more info now. I've got the position approved, so I can send a description if needed. We've got a VF3SSYT and an Integrex 100IIIY on the way. I just need someone to run them.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't know if he's looking but Britt comes to mind.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Nooooooooo He is NOT...besides Stephen has my #'s....I don't know anyone looking either...strange with all this unemployment, there is no one I know that isn't working.

5. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

I wish I had learned more, or anything really in my Pop's shop before he passed last year. Could be running that shop now if I had.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you weren't in the wrong part of the country....... It sounds like a fun opportunity. :D

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

no crap.. because i do mastercam and autocad right now.. i can run, write and setup my own programs.. did it for afew years back in chattanooga.. ran okumas, haas, and serdi machines.

8. SLLaffoon

Let me know if you decide you want to give up working for yourself in a cool new shop 100 feet away so that you can commute for 2 hours and report to someone. :D

I've heard almost the exact same sentiment about available people from more than just you.

Just a little more background on the company. We have about 20 full time employees and specialize in the use of shape memory materials in orthopedics. We currently sell two anchors that use our proprietary shape memory peek and we recently cleared a nitinol device as well. We have some pretty interesting things in development , as well as some side projects, but I can't go into much detail. Shape memory materials can be used all sorts of places.

Drop, that's about the skillset we are looking for. Atlanta's not so bad...

9. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Too bad you aren't somewhere around Spartanburg or Charlotte. I'd send you my resume. Bout to shut my shop down after a costly divorce. But like britt, I don't know anybody who actually meets your requirements that is looking for a job. No matter how bad the economy is if you're a really good machinist , not a button pusher there are jobs out there. He'll I just let the cat out of the bag last week that I was shutting down and already have 4 solid offers on the table for a job.

10. tito

tito Well-Known Member

+1 on leaning from pops I wish I would have paid more attention when I was younger. my dad had a stroke when I was 8 which left him unable to continue doing what he loved. If I would have shown any interest I think he would have tried to teach me. Regret it every day....

11. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Yeah you never know. I worked in his shop a little probably back in early 90's when I first moved to ATL. And did some of my own projects here and there, nothing major though.
    He wanted one of his sons to take over the shop and run it as he got older. My younger brother has the most time and experience in the shop but not the drive to make a living doing it. Pop couldn't pay me enough for me to be there and learn stuff. He didn't have the payroll and I needed to make a certain amount. I couldn't give up my regular job to work with him and learn.
    Now he is gone and so is my job I had for sixteen years. Now would have been a perfect time for me to work there and learn. Go figure.

12. SLLaffoon

So we hired someone and he worked out great. Unfortunately he is relocating for personal reasons and we are now looking for a replacement.

13. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

man... if you weren't in ATL, I would be there in a heartbeat. Used to do Solidworks/Featurecam with some mastercam. Ran a VMC and Mazak, as well as various manual mills and lathes too..... hmm

**currently using UG NX6, but no programming :S

Last edited: May 17, 2012