Losing an icon !

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Ducman705, Jul 19, 2003.

1. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

I'm damn glad to have spoken to Jim Friday morning and shook his hand. What a bummer.

Can't think of anybody who's raced more classes against more people with AHRMA.

Spargo

2. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

3. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Jim first came to my attention a few years ago when I read the AHRMA race results,he was winning races and Sportsman 350 and 500 championships on his Honda 350. A couple years ago I moved from NJ to OH and got to see him race WERA at Putnam on a CB450,very fast. I had a conversation with "Bore Tech" Bill Moeller at that time, I congradulated him on beating me and being fast on his CB350,"I'm not fast,"he said,"Jim Swartout is FAST!" At Mid-Ohio that year I watched an epic battle between Chris Marshall and Buff Harsh vying for the lead in Sportsman 350,Jim right with them in third a few bikes back,very impressive. In short,without really knowing him or racing with him much,Jim got on my short list of most admired racers.Going to Mid-O, I wanted to pay him and Roger a visit in the pits and kick some tires,chew the fat, pay my dues of respect. A week later and I still feel numb over our loss of a friend, my wife Tina and I extend our deepest condolences to Roger and Barbra. Jim left a strong impression with me that will be with me for a long time. Goodspeed, Jim.
    Stan

4. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Jim was one of the nicest people I met racing with AHRMA. We broke a valve inspection cover at Daytona, he was walking by and gave me one out of the blue. While cleaning out the race van today I discovered his name. Gods speed. It is now tradition for us to have one black valve cover.

Jon Leonard OMRRA #118