1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to Buy a Pitbike/ dirtbike over winter

Discussion in 'General' started by Sandman889, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sandman889

Sandman889 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much it I would like to buy a 50cc to a 125cc dirt/pitbike.
    I dont want to spend the money on Honda, Suzuki, Yama or Kawi.
    I know not everyone runs the big name brand so I have been looking at a few on line.
    Wanted to know if any of you guys have or had a Coolster, SSR or a Orion brand pit bike.
    What are the bads and goods of these brands or can you recommand another brand. Trying to stay under $800.00
    Also anyone with any idea of what these bikes run as far as top end and exceleration.
    Thanks
    Just tired of riding the GF scoot, time to get my own toy.

2. six6two

six6two AWD

craigslist xr100. no chinese junk

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

James, whatever you get, get spare wheels and stud them up. You've got no excuse to not be playing on the ice where you live. :up:

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

:stupid:

XR's are stone-axe reliable, i.e. when the world ends there will still be cockroaches riding XR100's.

Good resale, reliable - that's where ya go.

5. Sandman889

Sandman889 Well-Known Member

No shit right, gotta play even in the winter. Only way to keep from going stir crazy.

6. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

another :stupid:

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

$800 on a Chinese bike will buy you a huge pile of shit.

I've raced China bikes for several years and there are some VERY well built bikes out there but they will cost you some dough if you buy new. My LXR is a China bike but ran me $2200.

IF you buy China buy a used Pitster Pro if you can. Parts are readily available,, good quality and cheap. Most of the parts interchange with Honda OEM stuff as well.

8. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

Buy mine! 2005 CRF50 with 88cc kit, sano forks rear shock, bbr rims dunlop soft street tires and a shitload more, plus it is ... street legal! It is totally custom and the envy of all racers! $3000
    [​IMG]

9. Bourgeois

Bourgeois Shortbus Captain

I bought a Chinese pitbike with a Loncin 107cc engine. It's been awesome for getting around the pits and on my property. Having only paid $200 for it it's done its job.

I grabbed my GPS and did a top speed run across the parking lot at Miller. Hit 33.3 mph with a bent rear wheel.

10. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

You kind of contradicted yourself there... "it's been awesome", "bent rear wheel". That is what chinese mfg's do, the engines are fine, (they are exact copies of the Jap bikes), everything else on them sucks!
    I am not a big fan of the Chinese products simply because they stole Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawi's designs, cheapend (sp?) them up with inferior metals and parts and sold them dirt cheap. What do you think the average consumer who is buying his first bike will think when he gets his Chinese bike home and it disentegrates? He has no idea the Jap bikes are superior, he will quit buying motorcycles... I think a big problem with the current state of our motorcycle industry can be attributed to the chinese knockoffs!

11. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Chinese engines aren't all that hot either....they may be copies of the Jap stuff, but with much lower grade materials.

Don't be tempted by the price. I was, and it was an expensive lesson.

12. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I found last winter a 03 TTR125 for 500 bucks. Just gotta search the interwebs real hard one will pop up

13. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Really? We have a Chinese 155 punched out to 238 with race head and cams (all Chinese) and have a season on it. My Zongshen 155 is on it's 3rd season of Supermoto and MX racing without any issues.

You gotta know what shit to buy.

14. Bourgeois

Bourgeois Shortbus Captain

I didn't contradict myself. I bought it with a bent rear wheel because the previous owner liked to jump it quite a bit. Since I've had it and cleaned it up it has been awesome even with a wobbly rear. No contradiction there.

And with all of the Jap products I have bought (CRF450, GSXR 750, Ninja 250, YZ 80, Radian 600, Toyota Pickup, JS 550 and 2 Yamaha Superjets) I decided to not blow a grand on a superior Jap pitbike that I'm just going to cruise around the pits and throw in the corner when I'm not using it. I understand the whole "get what you pay for" deal and at $200 I got what I paid for. If the thing blows up I'm not too worried. It's already served its purpose and more.

If I was looking to get something nice and reliable I would have spent the money. If I was looking to race it then I would have spent the money.

But hey, at least I didn't buy a Doodle Bug.

15. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

There was one at my local MX track this weekend for $450.

16. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I just sold my wife's KLX140L great little bike to tool around on...

17. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Like most things, that's probably true.

I obviously had the wrong shit.

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I'm looking to sell my XR100R, with all the BBR goodies, for only $1799.

Hit me up via my website if you need info. Located in SE PA.

19. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

I ran an SDG 107 for a while. That thing was awesome. It ran really well, and was stupid fast. The problem I had was the kickstarter gear got damaged and was going to cost like $300 for a new gear. I bought a brand new motor on ebay for $150. I sold it because I was going to break bones on that thing. I have a CRF50 now. The Honda costs more, but I'll be able to sell it for about what I paid for it someday... well that's the idea anyway