1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a few good men or women ( Melissa maybe?)

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Justin Garvin, Jan 10, 2007.

1. My plan is to put my 06 GSXR 600 out in the middle weight class, not sure if it will be SB or SS just yet. The bike is stock aside from the Leo vince Slip-on and mildly tuned suspension. It makes 109hp and I planned on running Dunlops unless there is a unanimous decision to do otherwise
    I'm wanting people with talent, experience and a good track record that realizes this is endurance racing and can maintain a good pace but not overdue it. I do not need the fastest riders, I need competitive, riders. Preferably, riders that can atleast match the times of the 2nd - 3rd place middleweight teams from 06. If you cannot, or can but not without crashing, please dont waist my time. If you were on a team in 06 that crashed continuelly, you need not apply.

What I will be looking for out of each rider is :
    Funding for each race to be split evenly amongst the riding members for the current event to include tires, entry, fuel, and transport. I will insist on a $1000 check made out from each person riding the current event in case of an accident to help cover repair costs. (There will not be any price gowging, my dad owns a shop and I get just about everything for dealer cost. Whatever my cost is , is your cost) If there is no accidents, the check will be returned after the event. If you have sponsors that can contribute, then that will be taken into consideration of the funding.
    In the event that there is contengencies won, then the $$ will be used tune-ups and maintenance first, then the remaining will be dispursed evenly among the riders invloved in that event .
    If I am missing something, please feel free to inform me.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

That seems like a good start to me. I like fully splitting all costs and the upfront money is a good idea. What about everyone putting up $1K and just keeping the money in an account for the season ? I think you should collect extra from the riders for bike wear and tear. I figure that'd be worth between $50 to $100 per race for each endurance rider. At the end of the season you could do a proper job on the engine and be ready for next year.

When I use my SV for endurance, I don't get enough money for half (I just get race entry and tires and pay the difference when I want slicks)? I don't worry about that though, I'm glad I can afford it. I can't run the race by myself anyway, I need help. :) I think about how much time I spend getting the bike ready, money on parts...its allot and allot of effort on my part. It'd be nice to show up, pay up and ride. I don't even like to think about wear and tear of the engine...that's scary.

How about a team of riders with the same class bikes and alternate which bike is used in the races ? That way, no one takes it on the chin for motor wear issues. What about 3 riders purchasing a bike together, riding it, and selling it at the end of the season and split the money ? That way...all costs are split evenly.

I'd like to do a few endurance races but not a whole season. Not that I'm thowing my name in the hat. It'd be fun though, I'm just not into running at that pace. Too serious for me.

Good luck man.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  3. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

PM sent

4. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Hey Justin.

You want me to talk to Frank "The Tank" for you?:D

5. Hey Gene,
    Missed seeing you out there last year. I appreciate the advise. Thats a great idea.

6. Kitz

Kitz Well-Known Member

PM sent :up:

7. etemplet

I thought that was you, but I visit the board so few times anymore that I didn't remember for sure. Man I sure apologize for never returning the phone calls but I just can't run a full season. Besides you're way too fast for me.

Yea, I've given this endurance thing allot of thought in the past. The owner takes it up the wazzue. :D I wish I could afford to pay for everything but I wouldn't be able to do many races ha ha. Out of 4 endurance races, I've had my SV thrown down the track twice. On guy, wrecked the bike and was clearly only interested in getting track time before the sprint races. He was no help for my wife and I trying to set up everything...and at the time my wife was so sick, but she was there with me as always. You know how much work there is to setting up. The tires were bad after the second session and he did not want to replace them. He want out and crashed after about 15 minutes and said he'd had enough riding for the day. I bought another set of tires, did a quick fix on the bike and finished the race by myself. My sick wife and I took down the set up and loaded the truck and trailer. And guess what, he offered me a set of brake pads for wrecking the bike and charged me $50 for them. Who ever threw a bike down and paid only $30. Those pads were probably contingency from his winnings. Isn't that sad ? Oh well, I gained some experience.

This is what I learned. Many of the people that race can't afford it and it's not that they mean to screw you, they just have no other choice than to screw you. For instance, how many racers get thier bike wadded up and never see or hear from the guy again. As an owner of the bike, this is a real possibility. Owners are the true ambassadors of the sport, they take all the risk, spend the most money by far, do most if not all of the work, because the love to ride and love to share the experience with others. They need a hug. I know everyone's experince is not like mine. I've seem some teams that love racing and enjoy the comradarie and they have fun.

Anyway, being an owner of an endurance bike, I'd happily pay an extra $100 to ride another man's bike and if I rekked it...I'd fix it.

Now your bike is way to nice for endurance racing. I'm going to sprint my R6 a bit this season. Who knows I might be pretty fast and not know it : :D

Oh, I posted all this crap so racers might come to understand what's involved here. All information is good.

Also, KUDOS to the great group at WERA Endurance. Other teams pitched in and helped my wife and I get through the rest of the race. It really was great and we had lots of fun. Every cloud does have a sliver lining...well...if you know where to look. Thanks to everyone that helps out a fellow racer, you guys are great !!

Yes I am going to do it again and again...what can I say.

8. Dude, sounds like you had about the same experience that I had in 03. Thats why I'm not looking for the fastest riders. I want consistent riders that are competitive and get along. I've seen teams that fight over who's the boss etc. I dont want to be the boss, I want to be a friend that is providing a machine for myself and my friends to go out and hopefully be a very competitive TEAM. Guess we will see!

9. etemplet

Man you're gettin me all teary eyed... sniff. I get the feelin we are going to ride together sooner or later. If you wanna swap up on the 600 for a race or two, my old R6 will whip the snot out of the new fangled contraption you got there. :D If I get it sorted that is and I will...shortly. I prefer the 4 hour races over the 6 with 2 riders.

Best of luck ! Take care of yourself man, stay in touch, and may those Hurricanes stay away from us BOTH this season!! :up:

Ole Slow Gene

Hey, I need some help with a quick fueling thing. We lost all our time in the pits. PM me the secret stuff, I need help !