1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loading ramp for a full size truck?

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Sep 5, 2023.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Racing days I used the Harbor Freight folding trailer with the 2x8x8 with the ramp kit.
    That's now long gone.
    Looks like some track days are in the future so I need a ramp for my truck.
    I could go with the plank and ramp kit again but considering folding aluminum.
    Recommendations?

2. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Www.readyramp.com.
    I’ve used this for both my F150 and Ram 1500. Perfect fit and easy to use.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ive loaded some clapped out SVs and other bikes into my 4x4 silverado truck bed using the cheap-o HF folding al ramp thingy. Its doable on level ground with no belly pan. But its way nicer if you can get a slight slope to help with the break over angle

ToofPic, dtalbott and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If any of you detroit area guys are looking for ramps, send me a DM

I have 2 long aluminum ones, I believe 8' ish that have been sitting behind my shop for a decade now that I always forget to sell during spring cleaning. They have the side wheel guards like you'd use for a 4 wheeler.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

These came from Home Depot. Don't know if they still sell them (bought them years ago) but I loaded a GSA into the bed by myself. With a flat rear tire.

[​IMG]

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If all I had to go to the track was a pickup I'd probably add a hitch mount carrier instead of trying to load into the bed. A lot easier to load, and frees up the bed for the rest of your crap.

9. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I used the steel ones from harbor freight. Not folding. Have loaded yz125, 2005 Harley sportster and 2003 Harley Softail in the back of a 1997 Chevy 1500. Works fine. Maybe to steep on a high truck or belly pan. Remove belly pan. I tend to not trust the 3 ear foldables but I'm sure they're fine. I wouldn't use the wood board bolt together bc when it gets wet, it'll be slick

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got this or something very close to it - https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramps/p/MF-12038/

[​IMG]

Got it originally for the Harley but it really works great for everything. Separates into three folded pieces - yeah a bit more to pack in the bad but so worth it loading and unloading.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I spent the first 16 years of big truck ownership loading every manor of motorcycle into the bed. Then I found a used Kendon for a decent price and never looked back.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you don't get the cumbersome and heavy mongo ramp, which is probably the safest, I like two ramps like @rd400racer shows. I actually prefer the ones that fold in half and have a bend so I don't have to remove the belly pan.
    These are the ones I like and they are on sale for $69.99.
    BUY TWO, IT IS MUCH SAFER!!!
    https://www.discountramps.com/bike-...MI6YCEr42UgQMVAhqtBh2E8QsZEAQYByABEgJJHPD_BwE

DO USE THE STRAPS TO CONNECT THEM TO THE BUMPER OR HITCH, SO WHEN YOU ARE COMING DOWN AND GRAB THE FRONT BRAKE, THE MOMENTUM DOESN'T SLIDE THE RAMP OFF THE TAILGATE.

EDIT***

Actually, I think this is the one I bought two of. https://www.discountramps.com/single-motorcycle-ramp/p/AF-9012-HD/

You could buy one expensive one for the bike and the cheaper one for you to walk up with. IMO it is imperative to walk alongside the bike on another ramp. Also with this method, I generally start the bike and walk it up using the clutch and engine....your mileage may vary.

I've done the stand on gas cans and tool boxes, when I was younger and cheaper, but another ramp is the way to go. Plus dealing with two foldable little ramps is much easier than those jumbo ramps for your back.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    RS250Ape, lopitt85, ToofPic and 2 others like this.
  13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

^^what he said.

Just don't forget to secure the ramp to the truck so it won't slide away while loading.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah...learned the hard way about straps on shorter single ramps driving a Mule into my truck...rears spun when I had to push the fronts up over the wheels wells and spit the ramps out. Luckily it just dented the tailgate as the majority of the Mule was in the bed rather than a youtube fail special flip off the back.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

I have the ramp Mongo linked, and modified it to replace the tailgate. IMG_1709.jpg IMG_1709.jpg IMG_1712.jpg

lopitt85, Lawdog78, MELK-MAN and 4 others like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's cool!

dtalbott likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I learned the hard way too. I remember the first ramp I used with a strap, I was like what the heck is this for? Then I started using my ancra's on my cheapo Harbor freight straight steel ramps, which aren't near as good as the folding ramps, IMO.

:stupid:

That is really cool. I really like that solution, and depending on price and pain in the ass factor to make happen, I might go that route.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    dtalbott likes this.
  18. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I really like that idea Jeff92. Very creative and looks like you did it right. I might steal your idea as I could load my off road stuff as I only go for the day and it is a pain to drag a trailer.

I need to check into it more now that I saw a great idea because I have a camera on my rubic cube chevy tailgate and someone told me it doesn't like being operated without the tailgate plugged in and will set a code.

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

All you damn babies and your fancy ramps. back in my day we made it with a 2x6 and a cooler. An igloo or Coleman cooler, not one of hose house payment priced Yeti coolers either.

Get off my lawn!!!

20. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i have a ramp that folds in the middle (lengthwise), used for loading quads. i could just walk up next to the bike. ended up lifting the truck and bought a HF trailer...i then just used the ramp on that, folded it and strapped it down next to the bike. super easy.