1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LLY Duramax Diesel Surge

Discussion in 'General' started by bossbusa, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bossbusa

bossbusa Quick Member

Anybody have experience with "parking lot surge" on the LLY (or other model yrs) Duramax Diesel surging at a stop light?

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Do you have a tuner..? Also, check the fuel pressure regulator..

3. bossbusa

bossbusa Quick Member

Thanks for the response.
    No tuner.
    Right on. My study of Diesel forums suggests the FPR. Have you experienced this first hand?
    I'm looking for some video or play by play directions from someone who has done this repair. What to look out for, parts house, cost, etc.

4. Hammer 4

I have a LB7, and never had that problem.

I did some searching on the forums I visit, looks like the factory didn't tune the FPR very well in some cases. I couldn't find a vid, or instructions on how to replace it..Also, some suggest that if you can get a dealer to reflash the ECU and clear the codes, that may solve the problem..

Here's a link to some info http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?20317-Solution-for-idle-surge/page2

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I have an LLY but never had that problem.

6. bossbusa

bossbusa Quick Member

Thanks again Hammer 4. Hadn't seen that site b4. I'll run it by dealer and ask for a ecu flash and code clear. Some said it works, some not. Tried all the other simple stuff, additives, filter changes etc. but no permanent fix as yet. This last filter change I noticed it is worse than before. Also, I now notice a faint diesel odor...may indicate the fpr going bad. Heard of that with gas motors.

Anyone else done the fpr or handled this problem b4?

7. bossbusa

bossbusa Quick Member

Spooner, how many miles on your LLY?

8. Hammer 4

Hey boss, check your pm's. :D

9. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

what do I have?

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I think like 98,000.

Rockyrock-your's is an LLY but it's an '06 which is basically an LBZ because you have the 6 speed.

11. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Had it but shimmed the FPR valve to keep the fuel rail from draining and setting off codes when I was running a hotter set up then what I have on it now. Predator set on the 100 hp tune running through a Suncoast IV build and no more surging. :D

12. rto racing

rto racing New Member

the reflash never fixes it for me on higher mileage engines if it surges i usually sell the FRPR and the reflash together