1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifting/Bulking Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Squigs, Sep 10, 2010.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

eat a ton

2. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Huh? Extra weight isn't going to help you around a race track no matter what your level of riding/racing. That is unless you are so weak that you can't physically ride the bike.

3. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

One mo rep!

4. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

Try long distance running.

I was 205 lbs two year ago. A soft 205 and hated it.

Started running 1 or 2km once or twice a week in the winter, on a treadmill. Was running 6 or 7 min per kilometer, which is slow. Once the warmer weather came along, started running outside. 5k, 2 or 3 times per week. Dropped 25 lbs, and could see my abs for the first time in my life.

Now I'm running 30 or 40 km per week, entering 5k, 10k, half marathon races.

My weight is down to 175 lbs, a leaner 175. The muscle that was underneath 30 lbs of fat is still there and you can see it now.

Just another angle to consider.

5. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

You know what I meant. As long as your not 250+lbs of muscle you're not slowing yourself down by putting on some healthy weight.

6. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I wonder if Pedrosa would flog his horse around the track as quick if he put on some muscle weight?

...and I was just looking for a giggle not a confrontation :p

7. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Well-Known Member

Compound Movements (squat, deadlift, bench press etc)...with a lower rep range 6-10...and eat healthy carbs like whole wheat pasta and increase ur calorie intake by minimum 500 cals and ur steadily grow

8. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Serious answer based on 35 years experience.
    Get these 2 books and ignore everything else:
    Brawn and Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

Read them, then as stated in other posts make a lifestyle commitment.

9. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

ok im a lifter,, about 235 at 5'11''.. As some people said.. compound movements..
    bench- incline decline and flat- try to use dumbbells instead of the bar.
    plus a couple of smaller exercises- flys cross cables pec dec etc.

squats/heavy leg press
    plus leg ext curls and calf raises

wide grip pull ups pr pull downs- never do behind the neck anything !!!!
    rows with dbs or cables and hammer strength

mil press shrugs and lateral raises

dead lifts +++++

try chest and tris
    back and bis
    then legs and shoulders

3 to 5 days a week 5 being max.. you may not grow with 5 though depending on your body's recovery speed.

eat 6 meals a day.. most important... breakfast pre and post work out
    for post work out try and use an ion exchanged based whey protien alond with some type of sugar 30gms or so of dextrose, sucrose.. dextrose being the best as it's highest on the glycemic index.

eat well balanced meals green veggies and fiber.. fiber allows you to absorb the protien more efficiently as well as being good for your body and digestive track in general.

protien , basic multi vitamin, creatine and maybe glutamine are prob the only suppliments you need to worry about.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That is very similar to me. Whenveer, I stop running, no matter what I do, my body shoots for the 200 range.

Running gets me to the 165-175 range in just a couple of month. I think my issue is more with the steady diet (calorie intake) that I do not adjust when I don't run.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I don't know about faster but my riding style changes drastically depending on weight.

12. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

Unless you're getting paid to look a certain way, or are extremely narcissistic, I can't see any reason to use suppliments like creatin. Your intake of proteins and whatever you need should come from whole foods as much as possible. The rest of it isn't worth the risks. Evolution hasn't had to deal with creatin's effects until this generation. Don't be that guinea pig.
    Obviously, many many people will disagree with this. But you really need to ask yourself why you're doing it, and who for. If health, or long term health, or quality of life are higher on the list than looking good (for you, girls, anyone) then stick to a natural plan, good hard work in the gym, and balance the time invested in a way where you never feel like you've wasted your time in the gym. Enjoy it enough that the time in the gym is time well spent or don't do it.

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Protein and a good vitamin supplement should be the only thing on your mind as far as "what to buy" (supplements). Everything else should come from whole foods. That is, if you want to be HEALTHY.

Long distance running should not be a goal if you want to pack on muscle. Short distance sprinting will burn the fat but keep the muscle on.

WATER WATER WATER... drink it, love it. :)

Body for Life is the book you should be looking at. It's not about massive size, it's about the whole package designed for a real person that's not on steroids.

14. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

Creatine is a naturally occurring in most vertebrates, so I think evolution is hip to it's effects. Many seem to think of it as some sort of steroid/hormone, which isn't the case. I agree on keeping things natural and healthy, but there's zero indication anywhere that there's any harm in reasonable augmentation of your natural creatine levels.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It is found naturally...in extremely small doses. So is arsenic. I used to use creatine too years ago. I also found that it caused me issues with pretty bad muscle cramps. I quit using it, and the cramps went away. May mean nothing, but to me it seemed pretty obvious.

16. Redbird

Your comparison of creatine to arsenic is just silly. Do some reading, creatine is produced and used by the human body for normal muscle function. If you were cramping up from it's use, you probably weren't drinking enough water. You also may have been taking way too much, as a lot of guys do.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

How skinny are you now? As others have said, getting in shape is just as much about diet as it is lifting. Stay consistent, listen to Sicilian32's advice and go from there. Depending on work/stress in life I have lifted off and on for years. From January to about April I went from 155 to 182 by watching what I ate (and by watching, I mean eating a ton) and lifting consistently following the Mark Ripptoe routine, which is similar to 5x5. Ate tons of pasta, a gallon of milk a day and just normal multi vitamins and occasional meal replacements. You just have to consistently stick to whatever routine you start and you should see some healthy gains.

18. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I don't think Clay's comparison is silly at all. How do you define "way too much"?
    I'd define it as any more than your body naturally produces. Even if you bumped it up by like 10-20% maybe that would be okay. But most people who take it are taking like 500% of what the body stores naturally and who knows how many percent (maybe thousands?) of what the body produces and replenishes.
    Take those same numbers and apply it to most anything that's good for you. I mean with protein, many people who lift try to double a normal intake, or cut fat intake in half. But try to multiply your normal salt intake by 5x, or sugars by 5x, or anything. Everything needs to be done in moderation. Who knows if it's okay for your kidneys? or your Brain (a place where natural creatine is stored) or any other system. Because its natural does not mean than our bodies are designed to handle it in those doses. Carbon dioxiode and Carbone monoxide have occured naturally on earth for millions of years. We breathe it. Bump up the dose and you're dead.

I'm not saying I believe this:
    http://espn.go.com/moresports/news/2001/0125/1039771.html
    (just the first one that popped up on a google search)
    but there is doubt out there.
    The point is, it would painfully ironic if it were found that creatine was hurting you if you think you're taking it to improve your health. If you want to take it to look tough, well that's a different decision. The stuff works for that. It hasn't been on the market long enough in the doses that bodybuilders take it in, or study deeply enough to be worth the risk if you're just trying to build a little muscle to be healthier. Just get under the bar and push a little harder and squeeze out one more rep.

19. Redbird

Sorry, but comparing poison to something your body requires is silly.

Glad we have your definition. Apply that to anything else and it starts to sound a little silly, though. By your definition, any supplement is "way too much".

Cite, please? Anyone who's done any homework at all is taking 20g a day, max.

Again, where are you getting your numbers?

You meant the numbers you just made up?

If abused, it's definitely not good for your kidneys, neither is excessive amounts of protein. No one is suggesting you take in hundreds of grams of the stuff a day.

95% of creatine ("natural" or otherwise) is stored in skeletal muscle. Are just making this stuff up?

Again with "those doses", who said anything about eating the stuff by the cupful?

Really? Do our bodies normally produce and utilize those substances for normal muscle function? Quit comparing a substance naturally produced and utilized by the human body to poisons.

I hope you can do better than that inconclusive article.

It's been used as a performance enhancer for around 100 years. It's been studied and researched to death for at least two decades since it became popularized. Show me ONE credible, scientific report of proven issues in a healthy person using it in a reasonable manner.

See, here we agree. I don't even use the stuff, didn't feel like having one more schedule to keep. Definitely not trying sell anyone on the stuff, but all this alarmist crap is just that.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Your whole post was good advice except for this. Body for Life creator Bill Phillips is a conceded fuckstick who openly jokes about ripping off the suckers that follow his plans. His "plan" is nothing but a giant EAS sales brochure. The whole program is basic common sense, no need to buy all the products, or even the stupid books.