Las Vegas Bicycle accident

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Dec 11, 2020.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Man I appreciate your position on this I really do. I hate that folks died just trying to have a good time. It isn't fair. But the unavoidable truth is that it doesn't matter what the driver had in his system if the cyclists hadn't been on the road it would have been another dwi accident and not another senseless tragedy.

Years ago my dumbass aunt was driving from WNC back to Atlantic Beach. She got sleepy and for some reason decided to pull over on the side of the road to rest. 2 weeks later she woke up in the hospital with a ton of internal injuries, lacerations and a broken back. The accident report said she was a good 30 feet off of the highway when she was struck by a tractor trailer being driven by a drunk operator. This was years ago and she had legal right to be there but should she have been?

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do you have the same stance on motorists killed by drunk drivers? By your logic, if they weren't on the road they wouldn't have been killed, right? I'm trying to understand where you draw the line here.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  3. SirCrashAlot

I typed a whole bunch of shit out but no.

Ok. I'll say this.
    Bunch of bikers riding to the store to get food or medicine for their loved ones. Riding in a group cause they all don't have other modes of transportation and they all ran out at the same time. This equals tragedy.

Same bikers just out for a good time...just to enjoy their day or celebrating a retirement. This is just a dumb place to be.

Risk vs. Reward based on necessity.

I mean we all take risks when we go out but the majority of us are going faster with more protection around us and not in our underwear on the highway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have the same stance for anyone that dies at the hands of a drunk driver. That drunk driver should be strung up by his or her genitals and skinned alive in public view. The mode of transportation chosen by the dead individual is irrelevant.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This reads more like "bad luck" than "dumb ass" to me. If her only other option was to keep driving while falling asleep, how did she make the wrong choice here?

Option A: you will fall asleep and have an accident. You might also hurt someone else.

Option B: there might be a drunk driver a few miles behind you who will run off the road exactly where you stopped to rest.

I think I would go with option A.

6. SirCrashAlot

I like the way you think but I say do this from people who vandalize shit on up to murderers.

britx303 likes this.
  7. SirCrashAlot

Dumb is not pulling into a rest area or parking lot somewhere.

She wasn't eastbound and down and loaded up and trucking . She had no place to be. Again. Unnecessary risk.

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

And you know those were available to her "somewhere"?

9. SirCrashAlot

Absolutely.

Hence the dumbass part. She passed several exits and at least one rest area.... she said she didn't remember that but unless SOMEONE picked her car up off the highway and placed it on the side of the road she would have to have. She was just past Garner when she pulled over.

10. dsapsis

Just like all those folks you would wish public stringing and skinning on are absolutely innocent. Got it.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Come on, she had knowledge of a rest area nearby and decided she'd rather sleep on the side of the road?

12. SirCrashAlot

See the above post

13. dsapsis

Ever suffer microsleep? In some people it can appear very sudden.

Snake Charmer likes this.
  14. SirCrashAlot

Possibly. I pulled over at the next rest area i came to after slapping the shit out of myself to stay awake to get there.

I understand what you're saying. I just think if you're able to stop your vehicle. Put it in park. Open the door, close the door, open the trunk, retrieve a blanket, shut the trunk, open the back door and climb in that you ought to be able to traverse to a safer place. It's not like she went to sleep while driving and just ended up on the side of the road. It took effort to be in her position.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Been there. Parked the car. Rather take my chances with a drunk driver.

Most annoying part is that every time I have had to stop, whether it was a rest area or roadside, I couldn't sleep once I stopped driving. :mad:

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. SirCrashAlot

These threads do take a turn lol.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Micro insomnia?

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Every time you start typing. :D

britx303 likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So in your world, if I'm commuting home from my job and get killed by a drunk driver it's a tragedy, but if I'm out on a Sunday enjoying a scenic drive with the top down and get killed by a drunk driver, then I was just in "a dumb place to be".

Got it :confused:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  20. SirCrashAlot

Lol yeah... that's exactly what I said. :confused: