lap times

Discussion in 'General' started by cb500, Apr 7, 2000.

1. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

I am going to CMP next week and are wondering
    what a good lap time is for 600 novice.
    any info wuld be great

2. BuckyLeague

BuckyLeague Active Member

you misspelled would....I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it was a typo. ;-)Good Novice lap times on a 600 at CMP run in the mid/high 30's. Rich Pacella and I did a track day there last fall and were just playing around with each other on old scuffs and were turning even 34's. I heard Jason DiSalvo hit the lap record at somewhere around a 1:25. But, I also heard that Sunday's best from this past weekend there was nowhere close to that.

3. David Boosales

David Boosales Well-Known Member

I think the lap record is held by Mark Junge on a Kawasaki 900. Ben Spies missed it by a fraction of a second on a TZ250, I guess he should of eased off the wheelies until the cool-down lap. [​IMG]

4. wera731

wera731 Active Member

Somebody either got real fast, you guys were not running the 2.235-mile course, or someone's on crack.

The track record was set for CMP by Vesrah Racing's Mark Junge riding a Kawasaki ZX-9R on Michelin Pilot DOTs during the 1999 WERA National at 1:36.91. Ben Spies came close to breaking it later in the day on his Dunlop-shod 1996 Yamaha TZ250 at 1:36.950.

5. cb500

thanks guys but you are a little late I went there and the 600 novice guys were running 145's I got down in to the 49's and was only the second time I have riden the bike. it was good enough for 5th in formula 1 novice [​IMG]

6. fastiger

fastiger Well-Known Member

F1 nov must have been much faster than C & B Prod nov. By going back through my own times, I should have been lapped by another novice if somebody was running 1:45s. I started on the last row and even ran off the track in B prod. I still didn't get lapped by a novice. I must be much faster than my stop watch registered.

I'll check the batteries.

7. BuckyLeague

BuckyLeague Active Member

Maybe it is the crack! Sean, help me out here...I started to question if I was subconsiously shaving 10 seconds off of lap times or not...so i called Rich Pacella. He confirmed it, Boosales confirmed it. Are we ALL smokin crack?!?!?

8. David Boosales

David Boosales Well-Known Member

Hey, Webster! You spelled subconsciously wrong. Also, I only confirmed who had the lap record. I didn't know what the time was. [​IMG]

9. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Nope, your a crack head.
    I went down for a CCS race last October and had some decent finishes (for where I started) doing 1:41's. I don't think any Novices got into the 1:38's and no Experts got into the 1:34's that weekend. The weather was beautiful that weekend if that matters
    Now put down the pipe.

10. fastiger

I'm telling you my Robic stopwatch must be slow. I timed every lap of the A Superstock race and the fastest time was 1:42.

I think there is some BS flying around on this post. Some mind games maybe for races later in the season? [​IMG]

Damn Ed, 1:41s? [​IMG] You would have won every race by 30 seconds this weekend. I don't think the running 5 miles every morning you've been doing is neccessary. You would have been plenty fast enough to smoke all of us yellow plates this weekend. I think your racer girlfriend needs to fatten you up to make it fair. [​IMG]

11. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

the front novices were running 45's and a few 44's. Barry (757) did an awesome job in the B&C prod. He had a ton of corner speed. I tried to run him down, but I just couldn't get the job done. I looking forward to Talledega. Hope to see all of you there!
    Steven Breckenridge

12. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

I don't know Carolina yet, but I hope to be closer to the expert times than that. What kind of times are winning this year at Summit for novices?

13. cb500

like I said the leading novices were running
    mostly 45's I'm not high on crack okay maybe I am but thats a nother show(lol) [​IMG] congrats
    to steve and barry they both did a great job
    of shall I say fast job. I just hope it is contageous [​IMG]

14. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

The weather was HORRIBLE. I didn't even run the solo20 on Sat (pouring rain, wind, and COLD). It snowed Sat night at my house about an hour away. Sunday was sunny, but the temp never got above 50 degrees and the wind was HOWLING (how about a 20mph crosswind at the end of the front stretch rigggghhht before the braking zone?). Thank he who watches over the racers for the new pavement, as it was slippery enough - the old pavement would have been terrifying.

BUT... to get to the point. I took 3rd in D-super novice running 1:33's and I won F2 novice running 1:32's. The experts were also running really slow, :27's (These are slow times for the new pavement). More than likely with some heat in the tires you'll need :25's or :26's to win novice later in the season.
    (LW classes anyway)

Roach #699

15. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Man after reading this string I feel like I am on crack!!!! [​IMG]

Carolina Motorsports Park (in Kershaw North Carolina) is as mentioned above 2.2+miles the track record is 1:36.91 an average speed of 83.025MPH

Those of you that are doing 1:.25's would be averaging 94.65MPH and you are not doing that at CMP.

Jason Smith was the fastest novice there last year and he was clipping off high 1:43's. Which is still smoking for a novice.

16. fastiger

Photographers/Journalists aren't suppose to have those kinds of math skills. You must have started college in engineering and changed your major after a year or two. [​IMG] You aced the Keshaw average lap speed test.

You're right, those average speeds would be pretty high.

17. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

The 25 lap times we're are @Summit. I race middle weight though, so those times are far too slow to win. Rephrase: What would be the middle weight winning lap times for novices, by the way what were the experts running in middle weight @ Summit on 4/8-9?

18. SteveBell

SteveBell Well-Known Member

I was running high 24's and low 25's and finished 10th and 11th in Superstock and Superbike. I think Bemisderfer/Diaz/and Lindsay were running 21's, maybe high 20's. The wind and the cold weather definately kept the lap times high.

Steve Bell

19. wera122

wera122 Guest

You're rocking for your first year on a 600. Slow down so I can keep up, would ya?

I got a nasty double wheelie start in the F1 race and could only muster a 10th place finish. After the race, a WERA Official told me I almost gave her heart failure during the start. All I remember was tach and sky. Then I did it again after setting the front down the first time. I just said screw it and popped it into second gear so I would at least start moving in a forward direction.

Wouldn't have anything to do with hot and sticky tires from running back to back races, now would it? I wonder who the genius was that switched the schedule around. Any ideas Sean? [​IMG]

20. WERA

WERA Administrator

Hey, I have to try these things don't I? FWIW the schedule is going back to normal next time out...