1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landscaping help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by SVandST, May 11, 2019.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

A portion of my back yard has become a mucky mess. Over the past 15 years the grade elevation has shifted, I think due to the roots of a nearby big Silver Maple Tree, causing this part of the yard to have poor drainage. It’s not a pond with standing water, but it’s always soggy and very soft. This part of the yard is not used by the kids or the dog so it doesn’t need to be grass. Instead of spending lots of $$ to fix the drainage issue I’d rather work with the situation by turning the area into a plant garden with hardy perennial plants that can thrive in the soggy conditions.

My questions are 1) is this a dumb idea? 2)if not, any suggestions on suitable plants? I’m not interested in making my yard the envy of the neighborhood. My motivation is that I’m sick and tired of having my feet and the lawn mower sink into the bog as I attempt to cut the grass. I live in Pittsburgh.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Have you determined where the water is coming from? Can you tackle your drainage issue on your own?

3. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

It’s runoff from neighboring properties. It’s not something I have the time to do on my own.

4. speedluvn

You could go to your local plant nursery and explain your ground/drainage situation and they may can suggest something?

Your neighbor’s drainage issue should not impose on your property. Have you talked to your neighbor about HIS drainage problem that causing you problems?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd fence it off with a wall no more than a couple of courses high and let it grow wild.
    Gives you a place to dump your leaves, too.

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Maybe have a load of sand brought in and pay someone to till into the saturated soil there?

I had a similar problem at my last property, it was an annual springtime issue. My neighbor who had a lot of farming experience seemed to think the above suggestion could have resolved the problem.

7. speedluvn

Apparently, you and the OP had soil composed of a clay. The sand would allow for improved drainage.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As long as there is positive drainage from the soggy area. Otherwise you end up with a sandy clay that is not much better.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sandy clay is another word for concrete. If it's clay you need organic matter to break it up and some aggregate to facilitate drainage. Putting sand in it will just make it quicksand when wet.

Rent a trencher and drop a socked drain tile in it, IMHO.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Willow trees. They soak up water better than any other plant.

11. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

How far from your house is the swamp.
    Do you have a crawl space and is it dry.

Amend your soil https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Clay-Into-Growing-Soil
    Used stuff called Earth Right, it's a decent lawn care. Puts stuff into your soil and does help changing clay into dirt.

With the tree, you will never ever keep grass. The shade will kill it.
    Get rid of the tree, amend the soil and consider a sump drain to the street.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is it running into your yard from an adjacent place? Could you us a small swale and try to trap that water before if pools in your yard and maybe plant some stuff in there to keep it looking nice?

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

I had a similar area plus tired of mowing around the lilacs. So I did a burn down and planted a bunch of hostas, and a shady garden kit that was made up of various bulbs and root stock perennials etc.
    Here’s a good place to starts plus great customer service and on line how to guides.
    https://www.gurneys.com/category/flower-seeds-and-bulbs

25B4DBB8-B7AE-4FF7-949F-380F91FB542E.jpeg
    24D327DA-F414-41BF-89BD-22C234BDB599.jpeg

14. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Plant bamboo to suck up the water.

Get a panda to trim the bamboo.

:beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  15. speedluvn

Isn’t bamboo invasive? Meaning it will spread like wild fire??

Phl218 likes this.
  16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Koi pond.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I have exactly the same issue and was thinking about this. Do they really have an effect on wet soil? My area can cover roughly 30’ x 50’ when we get a decent amount of rain.

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just plant some irises and ferns. Plop some big boulders in there to take up some space and call it good.

fastfreddie likes this.
  19. Willows drink a LOT of water. They are considered the #1 tree for wet areas.