1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lab grown diamonds

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

My buddy wants to get his girl some diamond earrings,what's the best source for lab grown diamonds?

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Steven Singer will give you one for free after you buy a real one. The reason they're free because they will never be worth anything....

ToofPic likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Real ones aren't worth shit either :crackup:

4. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Diamond retailers are trying everything to talk sh!t about lab-grown diamonds, but they’re identical to natural diamonds, just cheaper. Admittedly they won’t hold their value as well as the natural ones, but I’ve never bought a diamond as an investment instrument. If the diamonds are for earrings, I’d go lab-grown without hesitation.

5. sdg

sdg *

Look around a little, I found real (nice) gold settings with the labs for an ex who wanted such ages ago. I bought a reasonable size and a gaudy size.

She threw a fit b/c not real, then as we were getting divorced she shows up at my place with the gaudy ones in.

Nice earrings I say....six shades of embarrassed red she turned...

BigBird likes this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you ever wonder the value of a diamond, just remember they coat disposable sawblades in them before you get spendy

7. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

But those are "industrial" diamonds...lol

YamahaRick and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ever try and sell “antique diamonds”?

Bitcoins, nfts and amsoil could learn a lot from diamonds.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Diamonds are forever but their value isn’t . Lol

10. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

There is no practical way to save money on Diamonds… the whole point of the Diamond is a physical brag on how much you spent on her. Doesn’t work if you don’t spend.

BigBird likes this.
  11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Old Ron White has a bit about buying diamonds for women. That's all I can think of when this discussion comes up.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

my wife's wedding ring is one. we specifically looked for one to at least quasi-not support the industry knowing full well it'll eventually just end up being the same owners anyways, but i wasn't getting out of the "diamond ring for marriage" thing for some turquoise jewelry or something haha. i dunno the prices now compared to then, but it was maybe 15-20% cheaper than a real one and nobody will ever know except the jeweler if you get a divorce. insurance values it just the same as a real one for property's sake, and funny story about the first part...

we knew a chick getting divorced 10 years ago. she was a drunk and a cheater, her husband was a drunk and a cheater, good riddance to it all. but she came bragging over to us at a house party one night during about how her ring was worth $7k and one of the few things of value he actually did for her and she was gonna cash in. the smile that grew on mine and another buddy's face when we explained to her that people don't pawn wedding rings cause they're happy. and rings are a very specific thing for each person that are hard to just sell as-is without breaking them down. she'd be lucky to get 20%. she looked at us like we were nuts. reported back a couple weeks later that she got offered 10%!!! haha. anyways, moral of the story is, put it out of your mind its worth anything at all after you hit the buy button unless your house burns down with it inside.

i got mine from Brilliant Earth, i went back and checked. Leonardo DiCaprio has a big stake in some lab diamond company, i forget what its called tho. and i still rando get Rare Carat ads sometimes and i think they jumped into that game too now. try those.

BigBird likes this.
  13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Lab grown diamons are not like the old synthetic cubit zirconium ones. They pass all checks and are identical. Maybe 1 out of 1000 jewelers will be able to identify one under 30x or more magnification. Realistically the only way to tell is to look at the serial number engraved on the stone. Lab grown have a LG prefix.

Save the 40% and get a Lab grown. Tell her the truth or live the lie, that's on you but I'd suggest pick a path and die with the story if you fib.

The Great One and BigBird like this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Buddy just got his wife a giant diamond ring. She has been wanting one for years because that is just the way she is. When she showed it off we went along with the "oh wow, nice", but later my wife and I both agreed it look gaudy and that neither of us could care less about having anything like it

BigBird likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

And who in the f*ck came up with that ridiculous "you have to spend 3 months salary on a wedding ring" shit?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The video rule is in effect.
    It’s out of hand again and I’m paying attention again.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would say that floating the idea of a synthetic diamond during the dating phase is just as important as figuring out where she stands on kids before getting in too deep.

Regardless of whether you actually intend to buy a natural one or not when the time comes, her reaction to the hypothetical situation might yield some interesting clues about the probability that you might someday be bumping the divorce thread.

18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

DeBeers

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: Beat me to it.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

DeBeers.
    After organizing the Cartel, they had to make money on rocks.

Pixelator likes this.