1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 890 fork cartridge install DIY?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jed, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So I have some Adreani cartridges for my 890 Adventure. The dealer wants $395 to install if I bring in the forks off the bike. To me it seems like a pretty straight forward install but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. My goal is to decrease the front end dive under breaking and still retain most of the travel. I'm 90% using the bike as a commuter and 10% fire roads, light off road in N. Georgia.

First, how dumb is it to service the forks on the bike?

These are the cartridges -- https://www.rottweilerperformance.com/andreani-cartridge-kit-for-790-890-adventure-s-2019/

Compression is on one leg and rebound is on the other.

Tools needed - fork cap wrench
    Possibly an impact driver to unbolt from bottom of fork.
    Torque wrench.
    Spring compressor???

Process:
    1. Remove bars, front wheel and calipers.
    2. Unscrew fork rode bolt thingy from bottom of fork. This will cause all the oil to drain out
    3. Unscrew fork cap and lift out factory assembly.
    4. Install springs and spaces on Adreani cartridges. How much tension is needed using the bolt on the rod or is this not a concern? and do I need to compress the springs for any part of the setup?
    5. bolt the rod into the bottom of the fork and add oil per spec. Add more for stiffer mid stroke, less for softer?
    6. Install fork cap and set compression and rebound to recommended specs.
    How far off am I and what are the pitfalls and things I'm missing?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They want $395 because (I'm assuming) they are going to do the job correctly and that price includes fork seals, fluid, and the labor. It's a bit high, but not totally unreasonable.

If you're going to DIY, why not remove the forks from the triples if you're already going to have the wheels, brakes, bars off?

I do forks just about every day in the shop and for every service other than a spring swap, the forks come off the bike. And why not fully clean the forks and replace the seals if you're going to spend the money on aftermarket cartridges?

G2G and jkraft like this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

All good points and what I needed to hear.

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

How did this turn out? Was yours an R model?