1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 890 Duke

Discussion in 'General' started by prm, Oct 21, 2021.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Who has one, or has ridden a decent amount? Any known issues or thoughts?

I want a bike I can take to a couple track days a year, but also zip around my local country roads. Leaning towards an 890R. Love my R6, especially on the track, but not the most comfy for casual zipping around. That and I just want a change. Also considering an MT09SP. Rode a regular 09 around NJMP and really liked it with the exception of the mushy suspension. SP ought to address that.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Get an 1100 Hyper. You can thank me later.

3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Problem with 950 version?

And that thing is tall! I’m inseam challenged, legs barely reach the ground. Stopping would be awkward.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well, its water cooled with a wet clutch so kinda like a Hyper in a condom. I think you can get a lower seat! You can get a tricked out Hyper 1100S for $6Kish, ride it for years and sell it for the same amount. No better value in motorcycling IMHO.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Richard

What years on the Hypermotard you are referring to?

tks
    M

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Street Triple

stk0308, 83BSA, dobr24 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any of the 1100s are going to be the same.

RRP likes this.
  8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The 1100 has the Sachs suspension and the 1100s has Ohlins - correct?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I believe its 2008-2012

RRP likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think so, but just as a footnote, I've had 3 of them and prefer my non-S. Don't like the gold too much and I prefer the softer suspension for mostly street riding.

RRP likes this.
  11. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I have the 890R. Had ~6-7 days on track, and ride around town occasionally. If you like to ride more than 100 miles at a time, get the non-R version. The footpegs are too high and back for all day riding. On track it's a brilliant middleweight. I had a fork seal leak from the start, but other than that no issues. 10 out of 10, would buy again

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    prm likes this.
  12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

If you search on this forum I've already documented my issues with the 890R and 790 I had before it, but in a nutshell:

- 6 separate issues within 3 months of ownership, one took 5 attempts to rectify. Warranty claim totals were more than the vale of the bike.
    - 3 buddies in my street group of 7 bought one - ALL had many issues, one terminal with coolant leaking into the engine which we dubbed "the Mayo Maker".

I tell people it's both the best and worst bike I've ever owned.

Best - Most fun, ideal streetbike, killer engine, brilliant brakes and suspension - perfect ergo's.

Worst - in the 5000 miles I put on it none were trouble free, it was constantly in the shop awaiting repairs, replacement parts, and approval from KTM. Crazy shit like the OEM chain being junk, leaking countershaft seals, warped Brembo rotors from new, ECU frying itself, MAP sensor failure, and on and on...

I got rid of it, bought a Triumph Street Triple R (lower spec than the range topping RS) and it's nowhere the hooligan grin-machine the KTM was but in the same amount of miles and time riding it - ZERO issues and peace of mind knowing I can just put gas in it and ride.

If you go for one, just do yourself a favor and don't join an owners forum, I joked with my pals that I logged on one time and of the 22 "new posts" that day, 19 were "my 890 did "this" and I am taking it to the dealer" type posts - it's soul sucking to see how widespread the issues KTM are having with all of their parallel twin engine bikes - both the ADV and Duke.

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Well that doesn’t bode well for 890:eek:wnership…thanks for sharing.

A quick scan of Cycletrader shows only a handful of ‘08 1100 out there for sale. Price is appealing.

A local KTM dealer is supposed to get a few 890s in Nov.

14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Have both. The 890 a alot better bike and we have had no issues with 10k miles on it. Duke.jpg Ducati.jpg

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The Hyper will be the same problem. You have to be 6’ 12” to ride one. I demoed one and I am 5’9” with 30” inseam. Glad I made it back to the dealer alive. Bought a used Street Triple R.

16. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

What about a Tuono?

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Maybe the newer ones? My '08 doesnt feel tall at all. I'm 6'1" 32" inseam and I have plenty of height to spare, even with knobbies on it.

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

That I don’t know, think it was a 2014 I demoed. The seat height was almost 33 inches I believe. Even a seat and maybe a lower dog bone I don’t think would have helped enough. It was a shame as I really wanted one.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

A Ducati owner friend with a Panigale said he tried the Hypermotard about two years ago and said he had an issue with the seat height. The struggle is real.

Also, regarding bike selection, my wife is pretty sporty so it needs to seat two. Not often. She would like the style of an Italian bike!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021