KTM 450 SMR vs. Husky FS 450

Discussion in 'General' started by jdmosley43, Oct 30, 2020.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

You guys riding knee down or leg out ? I’ve tried doing the leg out but it’s so unnatural - knee down on my husky. Got about 6 hours on my 450 and loving it, I’ve noticed it seems very sensitive to tire pressures but other than that haven’t even adjusted suspension yet .

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Knee down for me and most people at CMP, some of the tighter tracks the fast guys do a mixture

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Go TM SMR 530

4. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

damn, i thought the camera guy was hauling ass.. then the guy on the stock one came by riding it like a sport bike and took off.

i ride knee down but all our fast guys ride neutral. it’s like they don’t even move their lower body. no foot out, no knee out, no nothing.. just push the bike back and forth with their upper body.

it’s weird. i’ve tried it and it feels like i’m going to push the bike right into a front end tuck.

side note, anyone else going to the AMA supermoto nationals in tucson this weekend?

5. noles19

They are both really fast, but the guy on the stock bike is Carlo and he's just stupid fast on anything, A level motocross guy, raced AMA formula Xtreme 600 etc etc.

I agree on your description of riding neutral that's definitely the way the top 5% fastest ride especially on tighter tracks, ive called it leg out but it's definitely not leg out like on dirt

turbulence likes this.
  6. noles19

Here's a video of Carlo running CMP backwards racing Stefano Mesa

turbulence likes this.
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

hell yeah!

as a side note, i love that this sport seems to be making a comeback. i see tons of MA dudes supermoto’ing it up

noles19 likes this.
  8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

FYI for those reading this and thinking they would be fun on the street, pretty sure most of the 450 SM versions that KTM/Husky have from the factory are using 16.5" fronts which means only slicks/SM front tires (i.e. no DOT versions). At least that's what came on them last time I looked..

fun bikes though!

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

this is what is called "gp style" now, in mx. guys standing through turns, berms, or when sitting not taking their feet off the pegs at all. it is catching on here in the states after being seen, and taught in europe. we had the scrubbing for keeping low, and not launching off jumps, now you have the no feet off turns. whole idea is speed and traction, keeping the wheels on the ground moving forward as fast as you can. Ski

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i'm using metzler. had the issue with the original bridgestone tires as well. its almost like it doesn't seat against the bead tight enough. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set of slicks and they've all done it. usually its a slow leak but lately its not holding air long at all. I have a tire machine in my garage so i'll dismount the tire and clean the wheel and put it back together and dunk it in my tub and if i find anything i'll load it up and take it to the dealer to look at and maybe get KTM to goodwill warranty it.. they replaced the clutch slave out of warranty but those are super known to fail lol

noles19 likes this.
  11. noles19

Yeah the slave sucks...
    Good luck hopefully they will replace it for you

12. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I just have to say I love this bike.
    Now to find some skill...

Edit...can't figure out how to add an image. Duh.

13. Suzuka_joe

Husky is warrantying my front wheel since it had some wild corrosion on the bead surface inside the wheel and was leaking air. they're paying for parts and i'm being charged labor. Not bad since it is a 2018 w/ 32 hrs

noles19, turbulence and Triple X like this.
  14. Triple X

Glad to hear.
    I should have checked about them replacing my clutch slave cylinder.
    It had 3.2 hours on it when I bought it so I put a Recluse on it just to be safe.
    I heard there was a big problem.

15. Suzuka_joe

they replaced mine out of warranty with 6hrs on the bike. i'm at 32 and it hasn't failed but I have a rekluse im putting on this winter.

spoke nipples are on backorder so waiting to hear how long i'll be without my wheel..

Triple X likes this.
  16. noles19

They just replace it with the same part that's in it so it just fails again, ask me how I know...

Triple X likes this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Fuck a rekluse. Unless you’re in the woods.

for actual racing the Hinson or Adler is light years better

Triple X likes this.
  18. Triple X

I just used their slave cylinder, not the clutch assy.
    Still using the stock Suter clutch.

19. Triple X

Good to know.
    I'll keep an eye on my front wheel.

20. Triple X

Glad I went aftermarket then

noles19 likes this.