1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kidnapping in the US

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Sep 3, 2022.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not the "my baby daddy ran off with our kid type" but real like snatching someone off the street for money type thing.

I saw this new report yesterday of a middle aged teacher thrown into a black SUV in Memphis. I was like damn thats random. Now I know why...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eliza-fletcher-teacher-billionaire-granddaughter-160812612.html

I cant remember the last time one of these happened here. Anyone remember the last time this happened here?

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if it turns out it's a true kidnapping for ransom, I'd bet she or her husband did it for either money or for some other reason. I mean who goes jogging at 4:30 in Memphis?

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

It's common to jog in the wee hours of the morning during summer, especially if you are in The South.

5. noles19

I've been in the south my entire life So I get that, but Memphis has one of the highest crime rates in the country..

418 likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You get to explain this to Broome and Cortez.

ungwaha, motoracer1100, Britt and 5 others like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Happens a lot. Lesser for ransom than to murder, rape or white slave but it happens.

her case? Shit if I know and don’t know enough to speculate.

dude I was sorta friends with way back was kidnapped and held for ransom when he was a kid. Speculation was that is was over “gaming, vending machine and laundry “ territory but shit if I know.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Two of my friends go to Church with her. They’re pretty shook up

hoping for a good outcome

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

has a kidnapping ever been successful?

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Anymore, being a woman is like being a child; you’re not safe when alone. :(

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

12. ChemGuy

I think the gangs that do it in Mexico City, Somalia and other $hitholes in the world would say yes, yes it can be.

But in this case with the type of money involved several 3 letter agencies will be involved and I doubt the crypto currency they ask for will be completely untraceable.

Here's hoping she is returned alive.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not in the US but I was targeted in Turkey and either targeted to be robbed and or kidnapped in Brazil. :D

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Not only that, it's Memphis not South Florida or South Georgia even.

And a female jogging by herself at 4:30am?

That seems like a really smart idea.

noles19 likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

How did you get away....walk under a barrier to short for normal people to get under?

Or...I didnt think there were that many Beeb people in Brazil or Turkey.....

:D

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

GFs grandfather was kidnapped in the 1920s on Christmas Eve in Chicago. Ransom was 10k and paid that night.

He was 6'8", bar tended at a speakeasy, "drove trucks", and had a "heart attack" in his early 40s.

17. noles19

They probably just wanted your pot of gold

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

J.P. Getty III comes to mind.

J. Paul Getty was the richest man in the world, he negotiated the payoff from $17M to $2.2M.

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Sometimes. When my brother was six, someone pulled up in a station wagon, grabbed his arm and tried to pull him into the car, but my mother instinctively held on as hard as she could. She ended up getting yanked halfway into the car herself along with my brother and, when the dude realized it was a twofer kind of deal, just shoved them both out of the car and they sped off.

Also, Charles Lindbergh's infant son was kidnapped from their country home for ransom, though the child was murdered anyway. The was a cash/gold certificate drop of some amount that occurred but again, the child was killed. That incident, given Mr. Lindbergh's notoriety, spurned Congress to make the crime a federal offense.

20. When I head to the office anytime after 4am there is at least one person jogging, by 5 there is a lot of them out. I’m in NE Ga but same hot as balls weather in the summer.