Kickstand removal on 2001 GSXR 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cxcooper, Oct 17, 2003.

1. cxcooper

cxcooper Well-Known Member

I removed my kickstand on my GSXR and decided to ohm out the kickstand interlock switch only to realize its not a switch. It appears to be a diode. Has anyone bypassed the interlock?

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

have you tried to start it with the kickstand off?

The 01-02 R6's have a switch that is "off" when the kickstand is up, so when you remove the kickstand from the bike the switch just thinks it's up...

Lol - Suzuki... :rolleyes:

3. BONEstock

BONEstock Well-Known Member

Thrak I know that works with the R6's but I belive the GSXRs require a little tampering with the switch, so that it will work.

I'm sure I've seen it a few times on gixxer.com

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You can either remove the switch and splice the wires together or leave the switch in place and secure it closed. No diode to worry about in that circuit. If you follow the wires up from the switch you'll find a 2 prong connector, you can disconnect there and jump the wires without a problem.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  5. cxcooper

Thanks Dudes,

I'll try a shorting plug tonight when I get home I just wanted to make sure before I decided to install the shorting pluh... I like yamaha's solution to the problem, consider the kickstand to be up if the connection is open.... that makes removing the interlock even easier...

That said some the guys at the NESBA site said I should leave the interlock on the bike and force it closed but its an odd shape I don't want to leave the device on the bike with a tie wrap or clamp keeping it closed

6. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

You wouldn't be the first person to do that... And then you also wouldn't be the first person coasting to a stop wondering why your bike won't recranck.

cut, strip, twist, solder, wrap, ziptie.

7. cxcooper

Well of course I'll solder it what are thinking....:D

Ok Ok it was twisted and taped... but now it is soldered as well...

8. rob1guns

rob1guns Active Member

cut, strip, twist, solder, wrap, ziptie .....this is the only way !!!!!

9. Knarf Legna

Just be aware of the rules regarding modifications to the wiring harness for all racing organizations that you plan on running before you start cutting wires. Not all allow cutting of wires to facilitate disconnection of street components.

10. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

How else would you do it? Actually keeping the switch and taping it down?

11. Knarf Legna

That's one way. Another is to fabricate a loop plug with the appropriate connectors that match the OEM connector. In AMA Superstock and Supersport, for example, you are allowed to disconnect only at the OEM harness connector and you can not cut any wires on the harness. A loop plug to close the circuit that plugs into the OEM connector is legal.

12. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

And how would you make such a loop plug?

I guess it all depends on where you're cutting, stripping, soldering and taping won't it?

13. Knarf Legna

Relax, Huey. :D You know how to make a loop plug. I thought your original instructions might be left open to interpretation. Since you didn't specify which side of the harness connector you were performing your splice I thought I'd point out that cutting the OEM connector off of the harness and soldering the ends would render the bike illegal for some classes in some organizations. The WERA rulebook is a little unclear on this point - seems harness connectors must be left in place for lights but no mention of anything for other electrical connections or the harness itself.

Not challenging your methods.

14. cxcooper

Hey thanks guys,

I created the loop plug using the side that went to the interlock... it worked just fine... And I soldered it... wore out a set of Dunlop 208's testing the plug this weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park.