1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyless ignition switch options

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My Buell is going to stay in race trim for awhile, and I'd like to eliminate the need for keys where I can. Gascap, easy, Slingshot makes a keyless unit. Ignition, well... nothing off the shelf but fortunately this bike predates imobilizers, looking at the wiring diagram it looks like a DPST switch will do the job? What's out there for good, waterproof DPST switches that people have had success with?

I need to look at the diagrams a bit more to see how hard it'd be to make a Woodcraft style harness that would just do everything via the kill switch, but that's down the road. Will still need a key to pop the seat, that doesn't bother me as much and maybe someday I'll make a full replacement tail/subframe and loose some more weight there.

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

*lose haha. Sorry;)

Anyway... ya the circuit isn't anti-theft anything (like a resistor, etc) so bypassing it is an easy look at a diagram to use the red run switch, as a switch. No need for toggle switch malarky:) Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 2.23.37 PM.png

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I bought my 17 R6 with the woodcraft delete (no Key). It uses the kill switch as the on/off. It is not a problem if you have trained yourself to kill the engine and leave the switch off afterwards otherwise will forget and drain your battery. Its been almost a year and had no issues running mine yet.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've had bikes wired that way in the past, I also bring chargers with me and will likely put a voltmeter on the bike as well, so I'm used to those habits. I need to review the wiring diagram again, I need to get a feel for how much current is being switched to know if I'll be comfortable just doing that all with the kill switch or not. And, because I'm me and I'm still pretending this bike might go back to street mode I'll need to find donor bits to steal connectors from, or invest in the right crimpers/etc.

6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

On a Buell XB, both the ignition and fuel pump are already relay driven, OE.