1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kendon Trailer Tire Replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by Booger, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Need to throw a new set of tires on the old Kendon standup, but don’t know much about trailer tires. They are 175-80/13.

Digging around on e-trailer, I found Kenda Karrier radials for just under $100/ea. Does the beeb have knowledge of these tires or a recommendation for a tire choice?

2. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Google search shows quite a few choices out there well under $100.
    I put carlilse on my 6x12 enclosed just bc. Not the cheapest.
    As long as you're not considerably overloaded and you ensure proper air pressure, any tire will work. Low tire pressure, very aged and overload cause most trailer tire failure. My dad runs used passenger truck standard load on his 8x28ft enclosed car hauler.

Most tires imo will suit just fine as long as you take care of them. Some high reviewed cheaper tires on amazon.
    JMO though.

And carry a spare

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I have a two-bike Kendon and I replaced the second set of original-type bias ply tires (they were the same brand as the originals as I recall) with radial tires. Spare as well. Big improvement and I would recommend that. I did some research at the time, and I will get the brand next time I am out in the garage.

My problem was that if I put only one bike on the trailer (supposedly a no-problem sort of thing), it would eat up the bias-ply tire on that side pretty quick. Radials have no issue with this and also seem to "bounce" less as well on expansion joints and the like.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I put Carlisle's on mine before the start of this season and they're good tires. Not the cheapest but consistently get the best reviews. Getting ready to put 3,000 miles on the Kendon next week.

Few other tricks I did with my Kendon; got rid of that joke of a ramp that came with it and bought a proper one. Removed the spare tire from underneath because it's the worst place to have it if you get a flat with two bikes on. Also it drug on a fire road once. Lastly bought a bottle jack off Amazon that will lift the trailer perfectly if I do ever get a flat. Won't matter if the bikes are on.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Max combined weight on recent Kendon single rails is about 1650lbs.

The $100 range is where you want to be.

Maxxis M8008 Plus ST175/80R13, it's a radial.
    Load range C, 50psi max (6-ply?), max load, 1360lbs.
    $102.61 shipped from TireRack or DiscountTire.

Kenda's are also good. For your application, available in 4-ply/35psi max (your max load is ~75% of this tire's load capacity) and 6ply/50psi max (your max load ~60% of this tire's load capacity).

I had Kenda's LoadStar Karrier KR03 on my tandem for over 15 years and only replaced them because I hit an abrupt "lip" in a construction zone at ~65mph and blew a belt. Replaced with Maxxis M8008s and aluminum wheels. (The old steels were getting rusty in places that looked potentially faulty for leaking). Otherwise, the Kendas had uncounted thousands of miles with my lightweight (1800lbs?) trailer hauling 1600-2600lbs of load all over the East Coast for most of those years.
    The Maxxis tires "felt" like a better ride, but wouldn't any new set of similar quality tires after 15 years?

I've had Carlisles on a smaller trailer (6x10 cargo). They were fine but at the time, 20 years ago, I wasn't completely confident in them for the long distances/schedules/loads I was encountering...I carried a spare. I replaced them after thousands of uneventful miles with Michelins (no longer available).
    Current applicable Carlisles start at the 50psi load range and are likely a better animal than "back-in-the-day".

6-ply (50psi) tires may be overkill for your application.
    Any tire at 50psi on a light trailer is gonna bounce and it's not necessary to inflate to that highest cold psi.
    35-40psi would be a good starting psi for a loaded trailer in your weight range. Adjust as necessary for trailer ride.

I would feel confident in any of the above choices but, personally, I like the "safety margin" that may be inherent with the 50psi tires. Of the 50psi tires, I doubt anyone would argue with the Maxxis. I wouldn't argue with the Kendas, either. No relevant experience/opinion on the Carlisles.

Last words, get the tires/wheels balanced. Nobody thinks to do that. On a lightweight trailer, it especially makes a difference.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  6. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

On the spare tire I just throw it in the trunk/bed, I’d hate to have to remove it from under the trailer on the side of the road. And it would be a pain to have to unload the bikes to get to it.

Razr likes this.
  7. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at putting the Kenda Karrier on the toy hauler since they are 16 ply and heavy duty.
    They may be over kill on a small trailer but you can never be to safe.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Critter

Critter Registered

just get Maxxis if they make them in that size....

I have had excellent luck with them over the years

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

another vote for Maxxis8008