1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keihin Flatslide throttle return spring strength

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Synchromesh, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Synchromesh

Synchromesh Active Member

I have yet to lube the 1 into 2 cable for these flatslides on my SV650 but this is by far the strongest throttle return I have ever experienced. I searched and found that a couple of folks had removed the "Push" side but that seemed to work only in a case or two, since the vacuum was strong enough to suck the slides to the internal channels preventing smooth slide action, if at all.

Plus, I am not sure the cable(s) for the SV have both a push and pull.....just do not remember. Anyhoo, the cable(s) are not twisted or kinked, so that is not a problem. I am open to sensible suggestions, as the throttle seems overly sprung.

Thanks,
    Del

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

sv flatslides come with both cables.we junk push cable and use pull only.push cable seams to keep it from returning smooth.
    spring on carbs is strong but not reason your throttle is hard to turn.open throttle housing and lube inside of it(I use grease in spray)everywhere around where throttle tube may touch.
    my is as easy as stock.

3. Synchromesh

Synchromesh Active Member

TWF2............

Sounds good. I will check the cable more thoroughly by this weekend and lube it in the process. Like you, I found it hard to believe that every set of flatslides is this tough to operate. If so, I was very tempted to slap the stock carbs back on and call it a day. But, I sure would miss the extra horses, as they certainly woke this bike up.

The intake to exhaust cam swap will be performed this winter, among other sorted mods. Looking to dyno it before Christmas, I hope. Guessing it should sport between 74-76 horses. According to the previous owner, it was pushing 72.5 (Mid Ohio) at the rear using race gas and stock carbs with a full M4, BMC and a jet kit.

Thanks for the sound advice,
    Del