1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawi 250r race setup recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

Be careful not to overspring the front end on those 250's, guys. Use RaceTech's spring calculator to find a recommended spring rate as a ballpark figure. I'm a 175/180lb'r and the .75 springs are just about right.

How much do you guys weight in at?

2. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

We thought that also, but ended up running 9.25s in the front of ours...I was still bottoming out at RA.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm ~190lb w/o gear, so I think the .85 will work ... no?

4. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

I'm 170 without gear, have .85kg, and wish it was a little stiffer.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

old gen or new gen? pic shows old gen, I have an 08

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I don't recall what I finally put in my '97. They work well enough. The rod knocking keeps my mind off the bouncing/shaking front end anyway.

7. JeffroJ

Old gen, can't see why it would be different between the gens.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Frame on our bikes is flimsy, hinged in the middle with a screen door spring holding it together. Make the front too stiff and it will try to spit you off.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

Ah ha...that would explain something.

Are the frames really that much different?

The .75ers I'm using have worked great (HUGE difference over stock) on my old-gen and I haven't adjusted the damping except for the switch to heavier weight fork oil. IIRC some WSMC guys were leaving the stock springs in their 08+ 250's and only adding GVE's to the forks with good results.

10. Red Fox Racing

Willow does not have the hard braking that a lot of the east coast tracks have. Yes, you can get a way with stock springs at willow. Im 170 without gear and the 9.25 front springs are just about right for me, a little on the soft side, on a new gen.

11. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I'm 205-210 w/o gear, .85 springs and 20 wt oil (I think that's what Marie ran). Seemed fine to me in Dec at Tally, but the front end is like a jack hammer going through 1.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The inside of 1 has some bumps, stay a little wider and it's much smoother.

<edit> Also be sure and stay loose on the bars, if you tighten up it makes it worse.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. JeffroJ

I kind of had fun going over those bumps, a little unsettling at first.

14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Chris what was wrong with the bike?

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You will do well, grasshopper. Well, that or crash...

:D

16. cspencer123

cspencer123 250R Must pedal faster

Rear brake got hot and was locking up, must have got the adjustment off when I modded it this winter.

How'd you and DJ do, saw names on the sheets but never saw you in pits?

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh ok, was worried for a few. Did Shroud figure out what happened to his?

DJ did well mixing it up with Dillion and James, think he got a second and a 3rd. I really was just treating it as a cold ass trackday and seeing what the little 250RR could do, and just trying it out. Fork seals are shot and during the transport a bunch of oil leaked out and it was pogoing all over the place. Gonna have the 400RR for barber though so that's cool

18. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Sorry to hear about the problems; knowing you as I do it will be perfect for the next round! You gotta get up there and keep Peter honest!:D

Can't wait to see your new toys on track! Guess you are up to your eyeballs in exposed breastsesess about now in N'Awlins!:eek:

Got all my GP shift parts in for the EX and the SV is back home simply awaiting me to repaint the bodywork. I'll be signing up fro the Tally Nat'l and the Barber round in May, doing Clubman, V5, LWTs (SS & SB) plus DSS. So I'll see you boys in various combined classes.
    It's gonna be fun having the 2-fiddies crawling up my arse plus Keeeeesler in LWTSB and George in LWTSS. There will be no time to relax for sure!

Look fwd to seeing you all again my friends!!!

19. grantourin_90

grantourin_90 Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience with the sportisimoto exhaust?

20. Red Fox Racing

No, I need to call Matt and ask for the dimensions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.