1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kansas City, MO

Discussion in 'General' started by bj, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I've got to spend a couple of days in Overland Park on business. Any recommendations for a good steak house, a cigar bar or anything else I should check out on a free evening?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

dude, ross thompsons bluestar motorcycles.

3. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Head down to the Westport area of KC...tons of stuff to do in a very short radius.

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

5. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Westport has everything from flip-colllared flatbillers, to smelly hippies, to even-smellier gutter punks. It's a mixed bag, but always-a-hoppin'.

6. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Two words...

Jack Stack :up:

My sister living in Olathe turned me on to both JS and Oklahoma Joe's. Both are great for their own reasons but JS is so good that I've spent over $500 since last December having them ship me and/or my loved ones yummy BBQ goodness. :)

7. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Sold!

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Just left Olathe after 15 years.

Plaza III if you are a baller, Hereford House otherwise.

9. seroj

seroj Well-Known Member

Jackstack is good BBQ, but my fave bbq in KC is Oklahoma Joe's (the original one in the gas station).

The plaza is cool and always plenty of pretty ladies. Sit up on the rooftop at O'Douds and have a couple cold ones.

10. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

my woman grew up there. she suggests the following:
    long branch steak house
    j alexanders
    j gilberts
    hereford house

11. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Went to Jack Stack. It was so good I went back the next night. The crown prime beef ribs were the best beef I've ever eaten, bar none. Outstanding!

[​IMG]

12. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Jack Stack is for rookies, Oklahoma Joe's is where it's at, as mentioned before the gas station one. Make sure you go on a day/night that they serve Burnt Ends. Some good dives around "39th street" (Gilhouly's Jimmy's Jigger), along with a great overall higher-end restaurant Rm39. The plaza is mostly high end chains but very close to there is Kansas City's oldest bar The Peanut, obviously a dive but it has arguably the best wings in the country and a damn fine BLT. For desert go north a half block to Glace' http://www.glaceicecream.com/. Steak house, Plaza III. But, while not a "Steak House" I had the best steak of my life at The Reiger Hotel and Exchange http://www.theriegerkc.com/menu/ Al Capone stayed there at some point which is kind of cool.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm glad you liked it. I've had those beef ribs as well and they really helped to sell me on that place. :up:

Oklahoma Joe's is also great (as I said before). But I consider it a much more casual, lunch-time kinda place (walk-up-counter-to-order vs sit-down-waiter/server-order) . The Z-man sandwich at OJ's is f@ckin' killer though! :)

edit:

How about those beans at Jack Stack? Pretty f@ckin' good with bits of smoked brisket mixed in, huh? :bow:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  14. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

:stupid:

15. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I'll be going back later this summer and will be sure to hit Oklahoma Joe's.

16. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

If you're much of a hot wings kind of guy, The Peanut (50th and Main Kansas City, MO) is a MUST! These aren't you normal wings, these things are HUGE. The whole wing, and AMAZING!

If you're not much of a hot wings kind of guy, The Peanut is still a good place to get a beer. Mostly locals will be there, so they are normals. You will not have to worry about idiots getting drunk and starting fights or yelling like morons.