1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K&N Oilfilters for truck.

Discussion in 'General' started by jeppe, Mar 30, 2004.

1. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know anything about the K&N oilfilters for cars and trucks? good, bad, P.O.S???

Swede

2. 418

418 Expert #59

P.O.S.

Use OEM.

3. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Actually, the K&N Oil Filters are a quality filter. I believe they're made by the same company that manufactures the Mobil 1 oil filter.

4. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Until now I have been using the NAPA gold filter that is made by WIX that I have been told is making the OEM filter as well.

The reason for changing to K&N is the nut on the back of it (ease of removing)

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

K&N automotive oil filters have a high micron count and an anti-drain back valve. Plus the nut on the back is handy.

6. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Mobile 1 , Napa gold and Amsoil filters are all good I haven't heard anything about K&N. How much is the K&N?

For my money I would go with Amsoil oil and filter.

7. I use OEM in my motorhome (Ford V-10), Acura TL (dealer does that, gotta love lifetime oil change when your car takes synthetic) and my minivan, who knows, its a company car. I use OEM's in my bike too. I actually get them cheaper than aftermarket ones.

8. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

The "nut" on the bottom is more of a gimmick than anything, at least on a Power Stroke Diesel filter. It needs to be two turns past gasket contact to keep from vibrating loose. The one time I tried to use the nut it twisted right off without budging the filter. But it does have holes for safety wire. ;)

9. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

The nut on the back would be the selling point more that price the K&N is about the same as the NAPA gold one both of the a slightly cheaper that OEM (If not bought from a dealer).
    And if the nut twists off the whole idea is lost atleast for me!!

10. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

It's still a good filter, nut twisting off or not.

So, if it's more convenient to buy a K&N than another brand, go for it.