1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Cracked the Frame... What went wrong

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RoidRageFool, Dec 20, 2022.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bet that guy was rreally good, too.

The KLX110RL I bought a month ago did not get ridden until I went over it. Forks were slightly twisted in the clamps, steering head friction was higher than I thought was correct and every fastener I touched was too tight...I knew a truck mechanic assembled it. :D
    The worst part? I pulled the shock so I could put the swingarm through its range of motion to get my own "gauge" for proper chain tension. When the shock was removed, the swingarm just hung there! It would not move more than the amount of flexion that the overtightened rubber pivot bushings would allow. I would have destroyed them if I had not checked.
    The first thing I did before I, at all, had ridden or wrenched on it? I bought the factory service manual.
    It came in and I went to work straightening out everything of concern.
    Now it's time for upgrades. Merry Christmas to me!

Depends on the machine. It may be as little as installing mirrors and the battery.
    I'm pretty sure my KLX came in a box, needing near full assembly, just like dear ol' dad would do with his kid's first Xmas bicycle.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

The shop I work at has had at least 3 heavy equipment mechanics come to us in the last 2 years. Thankfully they left and went back to wherever they came from. Of course I worked in the oil and gas field for 2 years and couldn't wait to get back to powersports so I'm sure some one is saying the same about me.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Whatsa matter with them roughnecks? Did you take the time to ensure mating surfaces were clean and smoothly surfaced? :D