1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. You can get snap in carpet or have it made. I fish barefoot as well. That’s a great Hull with a newer motor. I figure if I can get the package for 20 once I’m done with adding electronics etc. it’s still a bargain. Can find used power poles for about 1500. Spot lock trolling motor would be a nice to have plus I can get year old used electronics for about 30% of retail or get 40% off new stuff msrp.

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Yea! If you’re under 20 or right at it after electronics, that would be a bargain! I need to upgrade my TM for an Ultreex so I can get spot lock but I’m done with this boat. I’m starting to narrow down the choices for next year, right now it’s between a BassCat Cougar FTD, Ranger 520, and the Phoenix. I haven’t ridden in anyone except the Ranger but I hear good things about the rough water ride of the BassCat.

Man! Those discounts are awesome on electronics! I’m considering switching over to Garmin on the new boat and it seems you’re happy with what you’ve tested.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Headed to Door County (up North Wisconsin peninsula on Lake Michigan/Green bay) in 15 minutes. We’ve got a timeshare with access to a small inland lake that I hear is pretty much just a panfish lake, and then weather permitting we’ll hit the bay for smallies. I’ve got a brand new Fenwick Bass Tech rod and a new Shimano reel ready to go, this is by far and away my nicest stick. Knocked the skunk off that a few days ago so I’m hopeful for this week. Calling for rain pretty much off and on all week and I’ve never fished those conditions so we’ll see I guess.

4. Buy the best rod and reel you can afford plus a bit more. This will certainly guarantee you will catch fish......

On the cheapest crappiest rod you have with you. Never fails, ever.

badmoon692008 and BHP41 like this.
  5. I can get you a smoking deal on an 18 ranger, low hours, well taken care of. I’m sure he could stock it with stuff to sweeten the deal. I was actually going to buy it but I just wrote 2 huge checks for new house and kids med bills and I won’t finance a boat.

BHP41 likes this.
  6. There is a 2011 bullet I saw for sale, mint for 34k. If I had a bit more liquid cash I’d be all over it. I absolutely love those even though it’s overkill for where I live as rough water is a non issue. If I lived back up north I’d be in a bullet or bass cat. Case closed.

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Haha for sure. I do like it tho. I will say this, I’m done buying spinning rods for a awhile. I’m gonna learn this mother effing baitcaster, I don’t care if I spend have the day untangling backlash

BHP41 likes this.
  8. Ya. I’m not an electronics geek really just want functional easy to use and reliable. I can probably swing a deal when you are ready. What’s nice is I already have the transducer for panoptics which saves me about 1300 or so. They are all so good now a days really. To me it comes down to value and what you can get for the money and what just feels right to you. When I was out couple days ago on the Jon boat without the fancy stuff on watched a guy idling around eyes glued to the monitor. Then again, and again. I was using a basic, like 100 Walmart basic fish finder just looking mainly for ledges etc. I caught 2 fish just watching him idle around looking for, I’m assuming bait fish or structure. Electronics have there purpose but just smelling the air for bait fish is highly under rated.

9. So what I did. Throw some braid on a baitcaster. Start with maybe 1/4 oz or a bit heavier weight on the end. Find a spot in your yard, or other safe clearing and just keep throwing. And throwing. And throwing. You will learn how to intangle a birds nest quickly and once you get the hang of it it’s second nature. I keep one very light spinning rod for very light and small stuff but maybe 1 out of 10 fishing outings I pull the sock and cover off it.

Funkm05 likes this.
  10. BHP41

Truth:crackup:

11. BHP41

Very cool! Thanks man, really appreciate that!

12. Send me a message whenever you are ready. I can purchase from them direct at 40% off or get some used after tournament season stuff which usually have a bunch of options activated etc not on regular units heavily discounted, only issue is timing and what’s available at that time. I already have a “reservation” on a unit.

BHP41 likes this.
  13. Not a smoking deal but not a bad one either for the shape it’s in not to mention when someone is willing to give you the rpm read outs that’s a very tell tale sign it’s been taken care of.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/d/2005-bass-cat-pantera-bass/6677150633.html

BHP41 likes this.
  14. I called the guy about that Ranger as well as the 11 Bullet. Hmmmm. The ranger by the time I add carpet and other misc like going to get it/ having it shipped I’ll be about 21500/22. Bullet I can probably get for 30/31 and it’s ready to go.

15. BHP41

That’s tough. Are those #’s including electronics and poles installed? I’m a big front deck kind of guy, I like the room. I’d be looking at Legends if J.M. hadn’t bought them last year. I hear they are going by the way side as J.M. wants to keep Ranger the premier brand.

I’m not loyal to any brand(unless one of them wants to sponsor me and give me that Pro discount,lol) but I can say this about Ranger and it might be good food thought. Parts are easy enough to come by and their CS is great. The seat “headrests”(if you want call them that) started coming loose because the panel inside broke. I sent an email to Ranger and within a week they placed the order for new headrests and decals. The headrests showed up last week and the decals should be on the way. I had a 491VS that needed the master cylinder for the trailer brakes. A quick call to the parts department and he located the part and had it out to me that week. I’ve been very pleased with them. Are they still making Bullets? I’ve heard great things about them but I’ve never fished out of one.

16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Bullet is still making bad ass boats. They are definitely more fun to drive than a Ranger lol.
    I know a couple years back Bullet's customer service was hard to beat and their boats are top shelf craftsmanship.

17. They are still making Bullets, not much has changed on them either. I just like them because they handle great and even better at speed. They are not even half as sketchy at speed as most other bass boats, Ranger included. It is very hard to beat everything about a Ranger, phenomenal boats and resale value shows that. Unless I go out and buy a season old tour boat I have a hard time justifying that much money on a boat when I can buy a decent bass boat, decent alum and good boweider for the family for what I’d have in a bass boat. I want something from this century but the more I think about it I’m paying a lot for a boat to sit a lot. I’ve been lucky and haven’t been traveling much lately but normally I’m gone every other week. I was almost toying with the idea of a Ranger Regata, kind of a compromise. On the other hand I like having “my” boat that’s my domain and everyone stays away from it. I’m all over the map on it but I’ll juat end up waking up one morning and going to buy something. What really sucks is the amount of times I turn down Fishing on awesome new 18 boats. I just don’t have the time unless it’s middle of the night or last minute.

18. I refer to Bullet as kind of a Ducati of boats where a Ranger is more of a Japanese 4. Both are awesome ones just more of a lower volume that does a few things better but overall the Ranger is a better boat. They are laid out better, come with better stuff out of the box which is a benefit of a larger higher volume company, look much better IMO, etc. It’s just really hard to beat the ride of a Bullet.

19. BHP41

I just looked at the Bullet website. They look fast! Get a 300!!! Lol

20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I'm loving the Bullet 22SF, been kicking around the idea of buying one. My last boat was a 2005 Stroker w/ merc 300x, that thing would make short work of lake Okeechobee

BHP41 likes this.