1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Adams

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by MV, Mar 22, 2008.

1. MV

MV Well-Known Member

Anyone watching this on HBO.

I wonder what the founding fathers would think of us?

It's very good if you get a chance to watch it.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Beer...mmmmmmmm

Oooops...wrong Adams

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  3. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Right, that was his cousin. He is in here too. I've watched the first two now, very much enjoying it. I may have to go get the David McCullough book now to see how close they kept it.

4. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

I am sure the fouding fathers would need a pint or three of Sam's ale in order to let it all properly sink in.
    Not sure they'd approve of how we've "evolved" into what we've become today. Some things I am sure would be understood readily, most of the rest would leave them scratching their heads.
    But to answer your question, Yes, I am watching the series. I am an admitted history buff.
    Ken

5. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

I've read the book, and guess I will have to wait for DVD....don't have HBO. The book's great...amazing men in an increadible time. I'm sure the mini-series will differ slightly. I don't see how they can condense it all into just 7 episodes.

His book '1776' is really good too, and of course his book on Truman...another P.Prize winner.......(sorry to get off subject).

6. Assassin650

Assassin650 EX-SV650 Juggernaut

Just watched the first two tonight. Pretty good.

I think the founding fathers would say "wtf" because unfortunately, there is no honor in government or politics.....but if you're asking what they'd say about roadracing. I think they'd think it was f...king awesome.

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Watch the first two episodes. Looking foward to seeing the new one tonight.

A good refreshing course. I like the fact that the producers decided not to make glamorous (cartoonish).

8. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

+1000

I've read both, and very highly recommend them. These two books are probably among the most valuable literature in my collection, even over my Reagan books.

Off topic side notes: Recalling "1776" - Was very surprised to learn that Washington really got his ass whooped up and down the eastern seaboard to the point where a near majority of the governmental leaders almost threw in the towel.

Haven't read Truman, but I do own "Mornings on Horseback" but couldn't really get sucked in to that one like the first two.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I will have to get the DVDs eventually. I want to see the series but can't seem to find the time at night to watch complete episodes.

It's interesting to try and imagine being around in New England during those days. To think of guys coming up with the ideas the founding fathers did. If a group of great men starting thinking similarly today they would be consider extremist nutbags. :D

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I was not around in 1776 but from what I have seen from the movie and from what I remember in the 80s there is this simple littel word that you don't hear today, "DUTY".

If we start with duty we may end up somewhere nicer. I hope!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just watched the first episode. I definitely enjoyed it. I'll be catching up in the next couple of days.

As I was watching it, hearing of the different accents made me think about something: at what point in history did Southerners decided to start sounding like they do today? I mean, the first one is certainly did not come from Europe sounding like that. :D

12. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

They'd never get the chance. Didn't you see “Enemy of the State”? :D

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I have actually wondered that too.

The strange thing is that you don't have to get far away from Boston, MA for the accents to start moving toward the slower souther sound.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I've seen it but it's been awhile.

15. MV

MV Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

Good point.

The only time in my life I ever felt the feeling of "My Country" was after Sept. 11. I was on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile exchange. 3500 people before the opening of the markets ...dead silence. Only the clicking of the time clocks. Someone starting singing , God Bless America and all 3500 people joined in. I felt chills up my back. Was an amazing moment.

....moments later, we resumed calling eachother assholes and resumed the pursuit of money. :D

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just watched the second episode. I am really enjoying this.

As much as I like making fun of grown adults who dress up and reenact stuff, I was captivated by the scene of the declaration of independence at the end.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Didn't know this was on.
    Both my children are direct descendants of John Adams (Mom's side).
    I would have liked them to see the shows.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

EZTV

19. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Friday night they are playing all four episodes back to back, starting 6pm EST

20. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

I've been watching...it's great. Paul Giamati is really good.

My favorite, most captivating part was when all the states finally unanimously voted to declare independence. Instead of any joy or excitement, they all sat their stonefaced, probably thinking...Holy shit, what the hell did we just do???

I imagined myself in that situation. I figure I'd have tossed cookies first :Puke: , gone home next to hug my wife and kids, then grab all the guns and ammo I had and go hit the front lines...