1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job's: where to look?

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Jun 5, 2013.

1. i got laid off at the beginning of April. I was a remote corporate manager for Best Buy. They shut down our program after the re-org of the company, re-focusing on core business and eliminating non essential personal.

regardless of that i've actually been steadily employed for 7+ years and i haven't had to actually look for a new job.

i've been looking on monster, career builder, and the like but it honestly it seems like scams after scams. any good advice on where to look? either in Georgia or SoCal. willing to move for the right opportunity.

i'm finishing up my resume today, i did it on a resume building site last night and just need to reword a few things.

thanks in advance guys.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Don't take this the wrong way - I hope the spelling and grammar on your résumé are better than your post.

My wife has been out of work for some time now, and it's quite difficult. It seems almost every employer sorts everyone out through online applications, then weeds out the chaff to get to the interviews. There are jobs out there, but the pay is definitely not as good as it was before the economy tanked.

I'll ask her what she has found about searches.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

One thought would be to create a LinkedIn account and post your resume on there, a lot of recruiters use keyword searches there to find people. At least in the tech industry. I get calls from recruiters almost daily from my info on there.

4. jayhawkindc

jayhawkindc Well-Known Member

I was laid off in July 2011, and spent 10 months searching. I ultimately found my job by temping. I had a one day box packing gig, and did enough to impress them that they hired me for something at my level above the pay I was getting at the job that I lost. It is an opportunity to put your foot in the door and prove your value.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I used to get a lot of calls from Linkedin recruiters. As long as it's somewhat active and updated you get lots of hits. I haven't updated mine in a while and the calls have stopped.

6. lol, it's the internet. i don't really care about my grammar on a forum.

7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

indeed.com, you can give that a try also. It gathers jobs from most of the big job sites and consolidates them

8. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Indeed.com :up:

9. trancework

trancework It's always now...

It would really depend on your skills/interests/specialty. Saying I am/is/was a manager is incredibly vague. Ideally you'd have a highly focused career specialization/area of passion that has an thriving associated community of interest--like you're doing here. For instance, I'm in software development, --granted, it's a high-demand field where folks just about can't step onto the parking deck without getting pinged for new gig -- but still, we have communities like the Atlanta Java User's Group (AJug.org), SCRUM User's Group - via www.meetup.com, Atlanta Software Craftsmanship Meetup, etc. etc. etc.

Most of these groups have discussion/job boards of their own, and most have highly invested members. Attending meetings and talking with people is a great way to find out about openings and it will also keep you in the loop about where your field is going while your on the beach. At almost every meeting I've been to, someone puts the word out that they're looking for people.

Hope this helps! Also, you probably want to check out, http://www.knockemdead.com. A lot of great stuff there. Good luck!

10. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I was unemployed about 8-9 months, used LinkedIn primarily, followed by Indeed. Finally got a job by visiting a company's job site after seeing them posting a lot of job postings on both sites (only took ~130 applications to this company to get an interview, which got me the job) so keep your patience.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Two questions from this:

What's a remote corporate manager?

Rick, you're married?

12. caferace

caferace No.

I've been unemployed since February.

BUT, were I to post a thread on the Beeb asking where to find work I'd do my best to use proper grammar and spelling.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't screw it up, but I'd try to impress. You never know where interest may come from.

-jim

13. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I work for Lockheed in Marietta....there are 8,000 people that work here. Times are tough, especially in the quality / engineering depts.....but there are always jobs posted.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/aeronautics.html careers....marietta.

14. i appreciate all the input. i wasnt really looking for a job ON here, thats why i didnt go into specifics. i'll check out all the stuff you guys posted. i never used linkedin before.

i actually have a few offers on the table and i accepted one that starts in july. pay increase and a little more freedom. i am just concerned about jumping at the first opportunity that came my way.

15. i ran a an outside sales program for best buy in north atlanta. our whole program was based out of minnesota and i worked out of my house.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you've already accepted the offer, it would be kind of a dick move to change your mind.

17. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

You might try staffing / contracting agencies. I spent 4 years doing contract work for aerotek which allowed me to make several great contacts and build a strong resume. I wound up working at a tier 1 automotive manufacturer full time as a result of my performance as a contractor at thier facility.

The pay while contracting was reasonable, health insurance was available at a fair cost and I was able to draw unemployment between gigs when the agency did not have anything for me.

My first gig at my current employer was for 90 days back in 2008 but eventually it worked out great for me.

18. it would be except that my new boss told me if anything else came along he would understand. that's because he know's it was the first opportunity i took after my lay off. so i think it's in my best interest to look elsewhere even if i don't take it.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

and if you are, then what? :Poke: