1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a website for SV650 race prep?

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadRacerX, Jun 15, 2002.

1. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Have lots of questions about prepping a street SVS for the track. Hope you SE guys don't mind me bothering you with questions at CMP. Maybe if there's a website on this subject I won't ask so many. Well back to searching....:confused:

Jay Barfield
    #413 formerly
    now Novice #57

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

You changed # when you changed bikes?

http://www.SVrider.com

Is about the best single SV racing resource out there, make sure you subsribe to the email list they have there.

3. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

4. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

There is one site in the articles section of SVRider about prepping a bike. He misses some things WERA does and I disagree with a few of his techniques... But all in all pretty informative.

Where are you at Jay?
    I'm at Kennesaw and help people do just what you're doing.
    There's 3 SVs in my garage right now with one of them being the one I built for Opie.

If you're close, my garage is always open and I'm happy to trade for stuff I need or want.

The other option is: leave it and a stack of parts with me for a week and I'll build it to the same specs I built Opies. Payment in small unmarked non-concurrent bills please!

If neither of these interest you then post some specific questions here and I'll help as best I can!

5. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

you traitor!!! :D :D :D :D

6. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

you have gone to the dark side.
    now you must bow to the power of the force.
    i will try to wave when i pass .

just another sv beeing passed by a hawk gt:p

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Hopefully not for long, buddy! :D

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Re: Re: Is there a website for SV650 race prep?

You have mail!

9. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

SV Prep

I hope ya don't mind someone else asking some questions too? I spent most of today safetywiring and stripping the bike down. One small major problem I encountered. When you remove the stock rear fender (sold it) How do you mount your battery?
    A few questions on safetywiring (getting the hang of it) Should I safety wire
    1. Rear Subframe to frame?
    2. How do safetwire a nut that is on a stud? Drill through the stud?

Thanks!!!

10. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Re: SV Prep

HAHAHHA! you should have thought of that before. <snicker>

Ok, You can buy a aftermarket inner fender. Most have a battery holder or at least someplace you can make one.

No
    NOOOO! You will both weaken the bolt and probably ruin the threads.
    You drill thru the corner of the nut. One trick is to use a punch to mark where you want the hole then drill a dimple in the face of the nut to get it started, then turn and drill sideways to the other face.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2002
  11. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

last question

I am finishing the safety wiring today. The rule book says I need to safety wire the brake caliper bolts. DO they mean the bolts that mount the caliper to the bike, or the brake line bolts, or both? Thanks!!!!

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Caliper bolts. Wouldn't hurt to do brake lines, too. Not a big task.

13. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Thanks! Any more tips or tricks?

14. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Re: last question

Don't do the brake line bolts.
    Wera changed it's rules last year for a reason: It's not smart to drill a hollow bolt filled with pressurized fluid.

15. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Thanks for the help so far! Just a few more. I am trying to get her ready for the 23rd at TWS.
    So far I have drilled and safety wired the following
    1. front a rear caliper bolts
    2. Front axle pinch bolt to the axle bolt
    3. Water coolant drain plug to the oil filler
    4. Rear axle torque arm to itself (2 bolts)
    5. Rear Axle
    6. Exhaust mount

To do today
    1. Oil Bolt to oil filter
    2. Radiator hoses and cap

That should do it right?
    I got the fender back from the guy so I will get her up with the dremel this afternoon.

Anyone know what wires I need to keep? I am about to print out the wiring diagram and I am hoping someone has a faster route or could walk me through it. Thanks!!!
    Feel free to email me!!!
    [email protected]

Thanks!!!!!!!

16. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

You need to RTV the 5 (i think( bolts on the bottom of the engine and the 4 cylinder bolts (one on each side of the heads) ...

And don't forget to drain and flush the radiator for the water wetter!

17. exmutant1

exmutant1 Well-Known Member

A sixties vintage club racer said to me when I was wiring my first bike "wire anything that just thinking about it falling off makes you wince" even if its not required. :) Sounded like good advice to me.

18. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

thanks!

Thanks y'all for all the help!!! All I have to do now it cut the rear fender, RTV those few bolts and figure out how I am going to temporary going to mount the stock gauges with my body work.....
    I also put some goodridge brake lines up front. (PITA to bleed, vacuum bleeder made it easier) Freaking EBC brakes I got were both for the left side even though the one package had a different part number and labled right. Brakes should be good for two practice sessions and 2 races. I will see if they have the right ones instock. That was fun drilling those bolts today. Thanks!!! Any more tips! Let me know.

Lee
    PN #522