1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is going from an 08 gsxr 1000 to a 2010 gsxr 1000 a worthwhile exercise?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crazymofo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

Gday folks..

I currently race a 08 GSXR1000. Ive been offered a 2010 model for a pretty fair price. My 08 has ohlins 25mm upfront and mk1 ttx rear. Woolich reflash inc QS. 520 kit. Full jap yosh ti system. And the usual rearsets clip ons etc.
    The 2010 model has the same except it has 30mm ohlins up front and yosh USA full system.

Basicly id be out about 1500 to make the change after i sell the 08.

Far as im aware the k9 onwards wasnt much of an improvement over the k5 to k8 models. They were different but not really any faster. Is there any truth to this?

Cheers.joe.

2. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I actually just had a conversation with a guy who builds quality GSX-R race bikes and he said he likes the 09-15 chassis better than the 05-08. Don't know if that helps you at all. I was asking him because I had heard that an 05 with a few tweaks makes more power than an 09-15 and he said that was not true.

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

05/06 and 07/08 are of course different.
    I'm pretty sure Miladin continued to race an 08 even after the 09 came out.

Suzuki didn't bring any 2010's to the states.

My 07 is the best racebike (Penske triple/AK Gas forks) and most fun I've ever had on track since '94.
    But, I've never ridden a 1000 later than 07. I have raced/tracked late model GSXR 600/750 from '06-'13 though.

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

for $1500-00 and re sale value, I would go for it, But Only for that reason.

5. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

for 1500 i could do a few more trackdays to get more seat time and get faster that way. unless of course the 2010 is that much better!

meh, might just keep the ol war horse... its fun beating the "newer" bikes with it. :D

cheers.joe.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mladin, Hayden and Young all raced the 08 1000 for the first couple races of 2009 because apparently their 09 racebikes weren't ready or something along those lines. Not because they chose to use one over the other. Once the 09 bikes were ready they started racing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I would be willing to bet your lap times would be 100% identical. Even if you were on an '05 and looking to go to a '10, I would make the same comment. Suzuki hasn't made any huge changes to their bikes since 2005.

I have mentioned it before in other threads, but a large Euro magazine did a full comparison test with a stock 2005 and a stock 2013 GSX-R1000. The weight was within a few pounds, the HP was within 2hp (even though the 2005 motor had something like 20k miles on it), the times at the drag strip were within 0.2sec and the 2005 had a higher stop speed. On the race track, the 3 test riders put down near identical times on either (I think one guy actually went faster on the '05).

Their conclusion was "If you have a 2005 or newer GSX-R1000 and are considering swapping it for a newer one, don't. The newer bikes are not an upgrade and they do not offer any tangible performance advantages. This shows how great the 2005 GSXR was, and how little Suzuki has done since".

8. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

What tracks do you mainly ride Joe?

I used to have a pretty good K5 which I believe ride similarly to a K8, and changed to a fairly good K9. There is a difference in the chassis feel and the way the power is delivered. Whether it is better or not is subjective, but it is different. For me the K9 steered better, and I liked the power delivery better, but as far as I can tell I'm in a minority :rolleyes:

Do you feel the K8 is lacking in any area? The K5 to K8 engine is pretty much bullet proof, K9 and up arguably less so. Wheels, front rotors, sprockets are all different, so if you have spares for the K8 and have to buy them for the later one, there is an extra cost.

Sean

9. gapman789

I thought for sure I read somewhere that Miladin preferred the 08?
    Neither here nor there I guess.

I've owned nothing but GSXR's since '92. They're the goodest.

10. gapman789

http://www.motorradonline.de/vergleichstest/test-suzuki-gsx-r-1000/405312

Google chrome translates it into Engrish. There's a little icon in the address bar on the far right.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Mladin said the 09 was a turd.

As he did about almost every model he raced.

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I like the steering and front end feel of the 09 to current 1000. I liked the motor better on the 06 1000. I'm no faster on the current bike (2011) than I was on the 06 but that's not really telling you anything.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That was his 2008 super bike that he was still racing in 08 against Ben Spies. The last year they were still proper superbikes. Works Showa suspension, Yosh swingarms, carbon bodywork, 16.5 in wheels etc etc

[​IMG]

The 08 he was riding in 2009 was the dumbed down DMG version. He was even saying it was like riding a brand new bike they had to develop because it felt nothing like his old factory Superbike.

[​IMG]

If I recall, by the end of the 09 season he seemed to be pleased with where they got the K9 to (of course he was ready to retire at the point so he was probably just putting a smile on for the camera), even though it was still the dumbed down DMG version of the bike.

[​IMG]

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would say it depends.
    The advantages i see are only re sale and will be easier to find parts for years to come, since 09 to current are all the same.

15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

the 09' + turns better and the hit is stronger up top with less bottom end. I preferred the newer model. I went about 1 sec faster on the newer model.

1.14.2 - 1.13.3 summit
    1.26.5 - 1.25.9 jersey
    1.30.8 - 1.29.5 VIR

aloyas likes this.