1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone monitoring, teenager

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Feb 13, 2018.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah!
    I would climb out the window after they thought I went to bed so I could go somewhere I wasn't supposed to.
    Parents can only explain and teach lessons so far - after that, it's up to the kid. Revoking privileges when you screw up is part of the deal. When you remove negative consequences from a teenager's life, they don't learn a damned thing.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. Trying to psychobabble it into something more is largely the reason so much of this BS exists.

My Dad's answer to "why?" was generally - "Because I said so". It still applies.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The notion of any of you dipshits being smarter at tech than your offspring is downright hilarious. Best you can do is hope they survive. You are not gonna outsmart them.

Boman Forklift and crashman like this.
  4. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Since I don't have kids and never will, I can't give advice on the how, when and why to snoop but, what I can suggest is to use the info you gain like the Allies did in WWII after they broke Enigma. Use it sparingly and only when big things are happening. Try to keep your snooping methods secret so you can continue to use them. Don't try to win every battle, win the war.

BigBird, RichB, JJJerry and 1 other person like this.
  5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Hole Eee Crap!

Sucks when people don't learn from the others that have blazed the trail with bad decisions.

Drugs, drinking and driving, and so on. We all know it doesn't end well and have seen the outcome from these actions. Blows my mind people still choose to this stuff...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I am a definite proponent of "because I said so" being a truly viable answer. I'll explain most of the time but other times that's all that needs saying.

RRP likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The joys of being old. There was never any proof of shit we did unless we got caught doing it.

ToofPic and BigBird like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. never give away the secrets. Always be watching, always snoop, always pry and always be as involved as possible. But no need to catch them on small stuff when they're older. Of course if you always catch them at everything when young they'll be less likely to push when older :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I remember morons I knew (slightly younger than me) when I was just out of high school who videotaped themselves breaking into places. Yeah, they got caught :crackup:

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I would submit that while cellphones/cameras etc were not readily available, cameras did exist. That said, I will NOT submit that much of the "shit" that was pulled was intelligent, however we were intelligent enough not to take pictures, etc of said "shit". (EDIT : Sean's experience notwithstanding.)

Now I will additionally submit that the aforementioned "shit" was pulled with the specific purpose of having fun and not so evidence of it could be produced so we could engage in a never ending exercise in "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

:D

BigBird likes this.
  11. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

My girl is 4 and my boy is 8, I have them pretty well convinced that I see everything they do all the time with "dad powers". I'll use it as long as I can until they figure it out. It's funny because she'll ask me all the time if I can see her at school or when she's in the other room, I just reply with "yep". Last night she asked me if I could see her when she was in mommy's belly, I told her "nope, dad powers don't kick in until you're born". :crackup:

Boman Forklift and RRP like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Did the same with the grandkids and even the niece back in the day

13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Got the same exact thing going with my 6 year old right now. The other day he asked me what the VNC icon on my computer was(it looks like an eye). I told him it was my all seeing eye application so I could see what he was up to. Just like you I will use that as long as I can :crackup: Which probably won't be near as long as I would like. Of course he is a good kid, kid number 2 on the other hand... He does his own thing and at least at 2 years old doesn't seem to care who is watching.

biggenyz426 likes this.
  14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I was 16, my dad took me to his insurance agent's office. The agent told me that he had investigators that drove around town following cars that were linked to minor drivers on his customer's accounts. He said I'd never be able to tell if the car behind me was one of them or not.

I was 25 before I found out Dad's agent was an old friend of his. :crackup:

ToofPic and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

She had an iPhone for some time and violated my trust, wasn't where she was supposed to me. Also, found out one of her "friends" parents let a group of kids drink at their house, my kid was not there but I could see where that was heading. So she was banned from hanging out with that kid and parents were reported to DCS. So she had no phone for a couple months, then a slider phone for the last 4-5 months. However, with the driver's license I wanted to use a few apps to monitor her driving and make sure she has gps if needed. We definitely have a parent/child relationship and understands I am in no way a "friend". We have also had a few "this is going to hurt me more than you moments when she was younger". I have done the research on how to lock things down and have thought about deleting a few apps but they will use them some how. I do have her snap chat login. Her phone is on the counter at night and I have it shut off at 9:30pm Sunday-Friday and 11pm on weekends. However, shutting stuff off doesn't give me insight about what she or her friends maybe into. She is 16, as with most 16-year-olds they are going to push the limits. No, I do not trust 99% of teenagers, my own kids included. I made so many poor choices as a teen, I know it's cliche' especially for many of us on her but I am lucky to have lived through and/or not killed someone. I want to catch her before she makes a mistake that is irreversible.

Agreed, not having phones, gopros, and social media was a positive for most in our youths.

Depending on the circumstances of the girl getting prosecuted for the pics (if it was truly only her) that sucks. She made a mistake and her own shame should be enough at that age. I am in public education and this shit happens way too often.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'll take that bet. He might have been adopted but I can run circles around him when it comes to technology.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Prosecuted for her own pictures??

Isn't the very reason that kinda material is illegal is that people that age aren't yet capable of deciding their own sexuality with adult-level responsibility?

Meh... not the dungeon, but I think it's fucked up to ruin a kids life for that. That kinda stain will never wash off... it'll limit her choices forever.

Perhaps she should've got a female teacher to take the pics... then everyone would just get PP'd out of trouble. :rolleyes:

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: My kids are my tech support for figuring out new stuff on the smatphone...:D

BigBird likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You went to Sunday School.....I'm not buying this load of made up BS!!!!:D

ToofPic likes this.
  20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

At least at 16 they've been through most of it, just google their name and variations of it using your dad powers, but be prepared for the chat conversations you might discover that can be full on, from years ago. I wanted to wring some necks afterwards.