1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jugglenutz, May 14, 2009.

1. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

dont forget the next update is supposed to have some nice changes

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't played with the video one yet. Know a couple people who have hacked theirs and use qik.com and love it.

3. Jeff, the plan you are talking about, 600 min and unlimited text and data should cost around 100 a month including taxes and fees, and assuming that you pay the bill on time.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I would stay away from it because it requires "You need a jailbroken iPhone with firmware 2.X (instructions can be found in a lot forums in the net)"

5. What does jailbroken mean? Is that like getting f'd in the a?:D

6. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

The video is ok. cycorder is better than the qik stuff. cycorder doesn't automagically upload, you have to attach to computer and pull the video off which of course is another hack unto itself.

I've got a G1 sitting here that I need to download the cupcake SDK and firmware for some stuff at work, but other 'more important' projects have gotten in the way. By the way, be sure to watch CNN tonight for the Money and Main Street special. Wheeee!

-steve

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The G1's new update has video recording and playback you can upload straight to youtube...

If you've never had a smartphone definitely try a few they're all pretty awesome. The Blackberries are sweet too, that Cannoli guy can tell you.

8. thane

thane Well-Known Member

G1's similar in many ways. I have a G1 with Tmobile. My plan does everything I need it to for about $75/month. The phone's the first such device that I've owned that really, really works the way I want it to.

thane

9. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

I sssssoooooo can't wait to move to the iphone once I leave my current employer. I like the technology behind blackberry but the phone is so fragile.

10. Sevenfiddy

Sevenfiddy Well-Known Member

I should also mention that the iphone is actually pretty durable. I've dropped mine several times on the asphalt and it still works perfect. It's even slid across the ground screen side down after a drop, and the screen didn't have a single scratch on it. It did have a case on it though whenever I've dropped it, but no screen protector. I have a Garmin case but I don't use it anymore because the belt clip is so weak it falls off my belt which is why i dropped it in the first place.

11. 03 Double R

03 Double R Active Member

12. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Just save the BBS page to the home screen. You can do it with any web page to save some time.

And yes, the iPhone is worth it.

13. iRideLikaGirl

iRideLikaGirl Monster696~CRF150R~#222

LOVE THE IPHONE!

Without the google maps I wouldn't have found Nelson in the rain at 10pm.

And my battery lasts pretty much all day, and I use it a ton.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  14. I actually did that. Its right next to RRW. Something a little more iphone friendly is what I was talking about. Its on my wish list. (that nobody listens to.) :up:

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I am very stupid when it comes to this stuff so bear with me please.

Can you still buy a 1G? Price? How about the 3G? Do you have to pay for the apps? Can I get a decent plan (internet and all that) for around 100 bucks a month? Thanks.

16. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

not to mention how nice it is to have Pandora streaming while driving.

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You are hacking the phone so you can put non-approved apps on it.

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Yea, the iPhone is durable as shit. Dropped mine a few times, just as strong as an ipod. Best to have some sort of case, for the phone's surface is a bit slippery.

Don't count on the Verizon thing happening. They would have to produce a new CDMA version, which only works in the US and will be obsolete in a few years with the 4G roll out. Verizon also just purchased all the UHF bandwidth that was up for auction, so I'm sure they're not flush with cash right now. After what the iPhone did for ATT's sales, I'm sure Apple can get mucho $$$ to be on anyone's network.

19. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

That article states that they are already producing a CDMA version that sells in Europe on the Vodafone network, which owns part of Verizon.

20. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Well...that's good news. I think verizon just bought alltel last year? Alltel is awesome...best carrier I've had by far...I used to have suncom, which sucked the big one, and they're owned by at&t :Puke:

So what are all you crazy iPhone users favorite apps?