1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet-only TV...anyone? anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andymax, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

So I'm pretty intent on going internet-only for TV...anyone have any specific advice? Based on reviews, I got the ROKU2 box for a trial and am already a subscriber to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hulu is probably gonna happen too. Anyone got anything to add or suggest?

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It seemed to me that hulu, Netflix and amazon alll pretty much had the same programing. The only difference was that one or the other may have had some network attracting series.

Don't sleep on the digital tuner for local programming and news.

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yes...

Use a FireStick with Kodi, or, if your TV supports CEC, a Raspberry Pi. Get a Raspberry Pi or Chromebox for a TV head end, and get a Leaf antenna for OTA capture. Put the headend box up in the attic or an upstairs closet, near the Leaf.

I have the Firestick/Kodi, and a Samsung SmartTV, but use the Kodi option to stream media from the home NAS (DNLA, SMB), and TVHeadend PVR client to record when I'm not home (haven't done this much).

I don't subscribe to Netflix or any of the similar, and I have Amazon Prime over the FireStick if the wife really wants something.

4. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

I just canceled cable and have net plus local channels only. Somehow I retained free HBO(??) due to it being part of a promo when I signed up.

Netflix is plenty for now with the small amount of TV I actually watch.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

After quitting cable companies vet a year ago I rely on Netflix and the beeb

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is there a reliable way to do a dvr type setup without cable/sat? I cannot stand sitting through commercials.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here, one of my few reasons for keeping DTV is the dvr for the few shows we watch on network tv.

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I ditched Uverse a few months ago. 30$ antenna on the roof, apple tv, and popcorntime ftw!

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I use the Firestick running Kodi, but could put Kodi on my NAS (network drive). I use the TVHeadend package extension for Kodi on a Chromebox (actually runs OpenELEC which contains Kodi) to pull Over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts from a K-World USB TV tuner with a Leaf antenna attached.

Kodi has a client package (TVHeadendClient) and there are other PVR (personal video recorder) packages you can use to record to your local device or to your home NAS.

I have a 6TB NAS I built for under $500. I can stream movies and music throughout the house and wherever my phone goes (static IP address and port forwarding).

If any or all the above is Greek to you, go here:

http://kodi.tv/

10. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

I have Comcast with a basic cable channels (promotions) With cable we only use it for local news and we just use netflix and racing subscriptions like motogp, and wsbk. Said it before and I'll say it again, Cable companies will soon be doomed like blockbuster did. More people have access to internet and more stuff is being streamed online now.

Why do I need to pay 190+ per month for something that I turn on for an hr or 2 every day and watch 2 or 3 channels anyway?! I am fine with $65 bill per month

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I cancelled my Directv account last week and installed a Roku3 with a subscription to netflix and hulu
    Was paying $100/mo and now at $20/mo
    Dtv offered to reduce my bill by $40

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Dropped Uverse about six months ago. Chromecast, Roku3 and subs to Amazon Prime and Netflix. Really miss the stough on FS1, NBCSPN, CBSSN and a few others. Nothing is perfect.(except my wife)

14. Kicked cable and satellite to the curb this year. Saved money that was real to us. Have to dig a little on Hulu but enjoyed watching Legends of the TT, Gran Prix, and a good documentary about James Hunt and Niki Lauda's. 1976 season this weekend. Looking into the antenna. Any way to get real times CBS Sports that way? The heck with network news.

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

She's next to you, isn't she? :D

http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  16. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Problem with that thought is the Internet providers will start to charge more and they get the money.

So you are still going to pay.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yep. Especially when they start to cap service everywhere.

18. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man I would love to ditch cable but I don't think I'd make it through winter without FS1 and supercross and there's no way to stream it, plus we now have google fiber and it's only $120 for ridiculously fast internet and pretty much any channel we would want so its not that expensive.

19. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the same, but we find that our favorite shows are on channels like FX, AMC, and Comedy Central. Plus, really like our TiVo; haven't watched a live show in like, ... never. Also, can't STAND commercials; need to skip.

I look at the start screen on my Apple TV and think "Hey, here's basically all that i need". But soon forget that all of them require separate subscriptions :-(

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ditched cable years ago. I have netflix through my ps3, and blockless to get netflix from any country I want. I would never go back to paying the crazy prices for cable up here.